The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Palm Trouble (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

captrainbows
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of captrainbows
So I picked up Bobo's book on coin magic a few days ago and everything has been alright, nothing that seems impossible without some muscle memory and practice except one. That would be the thumb palm.

Now it says to place it I need to curl my fingers in and clamp my thumb down. This (at least for me) doesn't work. When I bring a coin, that has been clipped in between my fingers, it hits too low and not where my thumb can grip it. Visual aid: http://i.imgur.com/ReHT2.jpg

Any help on this issue would be great, thanks.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Try starting with the Downs palm. Once it is in the Downs palm position (while fingers still curled in, squeeze the thumb on the coin letting it flatten out and flip into the thumb palm. After a while you will just go straight into the thumb palm.

Another method is just balance the coin on the middle fingertip and go straight to thumb palm, not using the index finger at all.

Hope that helps. Don't give up, it takes a while to develop the dexterity to do some of the sleights. Practice is the only way to learn.

Practice, practice, practice.

Have fun,

Metatron Smile
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
I had the same issue when doing it with my non-dominant hand. My dominant hand naturally moved my index finger to the edge of the coin, using my middle finger as a fulcrum, and allowing the edge for clipping to raise up high enough.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thumb Palm Trouble (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL