The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » 5 rope repeat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Did an impulse purchase of an Old Supreme Magic version of 5 rope repeat.

The price was very low, and I broke my usual wait, wait, wait till buying a new prop. (took me 2 years to buy my electric ukulele)

Anyone use (or used to use) this.

I will update, as I play and create bits with this.

First thought is to use it as a comedy prop.

1. cat of 9 tails
2. dred locks...(on my bald/NO-Hawk head)
3. I hate asparagus (insert your own odor jokes here)
4. Orthodox Jewish reference..either as "Payas" or hems of prayer shawls
5. Whose line is it anyway...it is your line...insert in your response..
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Years ago, I combined 5 Ropes Repeat with a Bongo Hat, and created a routine for my kids show about looking for monsters / grabbing their tails. My routine is shared in Tom Boleware's book, "The Daycare Magician."

The version of 5 Ropes Repeat that I had was made by Tricks Co., I think.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Tails!

Thanks for sharing.

That got me thinking of the other end...

Whiskers of my cat.

Thanks for the food (or was it Monster) for thought.

Somewhere in my collection is a Bongo Hat. Haven't used it for many years.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Ianbrennanmagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Ianbrennanmagic
Hi there Harris,
for your comedy routine will you be using a spectator? Just an idea but you could ask them to hold one rope as you only need 4 to do the trick, they should hold it vertically, then repeat and get them to hold the second extra rope in their other hand, repeat and get them to hold the 3rd extra rope in 'their other hand' (when they say they don't have another hand convince them to dangle it from their mouth)...?place one across their shoulders, another on their belt loop, continue to load more ropes into your hands on the off beats similar to Tommy Cooper's bottle glass trick and continue till they're covered in rope...?

-Pretend as if you will eat the extra ropes to dispose of the evidence that the trick has gone wrong...

-pull your stage hand up and shout at them for having put too many ropes on stage, they humbly grovel and take one off, show there are still 5 and repeat (stage hand enters, argue they remove a rope, show there's 5 ropes still.. A bit like Manuel the waiter in Falty Towers.

possible lines:
'I don't know what you could do with all that rope? you'll have some fun tonight!'
'That's how I caught my first wife.'

hope that helps.

Ian
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks Ian...

Of the 4, I the 1st and 3rd fit my character on stage.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I had this trick years ago. I seem to remember it being a bit awkward to reset needing the use a long piece of wire.

One of the problems with this trick is if a spectator thinks on how it might be done... that is exactly how it is done... and the action involved in the move completely bears this out too.

This weakness can be mitigated a bit if the action of 'the move' is in keeping with the rest of the counting. I did this by holding the ropes by the bit that needs cover and taking the ropes one at a time by their lowermost ends and in arcing motion throwing them onto my shoulder as I counted them. The business ends end up out of sight over your shoulder.

As for a 'plot'... I'm not sure you need one... but how about a prison looking to escape but doesn't have enough rope to tie together.... he only has 5 pieces and he needs (whatever number...10?)... then he thinks he could use is laces that would give him.... 6 pieces... and if he partly eviscerated himself and used part of his lower intestines that would give him... 7 pieces... and if he cut off his.... that would give him... 8 pieces... etc.....and finally if he pulled out his spinal cord that gave him enough to pieces to escape with but he didn't have the backbone to go through with it. (boom boom)
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I liked the prison story.

Reminds me of an interesting place I played harmonica.

As a counselor at Lansing Penitentiary (Maximum Security Prison)

The concrete made for a great sound chamber.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Don-G
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire England
166 Posts

Profile of Don-G
I recently bought the '5 rope repeat' in my clubs magic auction and found that there was no instructions included. I can sort out my own presentation for the effect but I am having great difficulty getting the inner rope back in place. Does anyone have any tips or advice as to how I sort this out please?

Don-G
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Seems like mine came with something to help getting it back together.

I never developed this into any ongoing use.

In fact I think I gave it away.

I hope you get some use out of yours. There are some great finds at club auctions.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Don-G
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire England
166 Posts

Profile of Don-G
I have sorted out how to load the inner rope into the outer at last. It is a combination of pushing the inner rope with the long wire rod and at the same time working the outer rope up along the wire and the inner. I hope that made sense but it is still a bit fiddly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » 5 rope repeat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL