The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need some advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
577 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I would like to become a real ventriloquist. I have been faking it for years now. It's time for me to go to the next level.

What is the best way to learn ventriloquist?

Greg
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On 2012-11-14 17:18, Bluesman wrote:
I would like to become a real ventriloquist. I have been faking it for years now. It's time for me to go to the next level.

What is the best way to learn ventriloquist?

Greg

Here you go:

http://www.learn-ventriloquism.com/learn......bvonline
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
A good book like "Ventriloquism of Today" by Paul Stadelman which you can buy, (or you can get the PDF file of the book for free by sending me sending me your email address). Follow his instruction for learning the art and practice, practice, practice.
As for performing, there are a number of very good books available, and you can always ask questions here in the Café or on worldvents email list - past that, it's time and experience.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Thanks for recommending my course Doug.

The way I learned was finding a professional ventriloquist who's technique and show I respected, then asking them to teach me. Private one-on-one lessons with a skilled vent are expensive, but worth more than you ever pay if you practice and put their advice to use. Unfortunately finding a professional vent who is both skilled and funny means chances are they are traveling and busy. If you can't take private lessons, my course offers them in a virtual version.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Having a personal tutor one can actually meet with one-on-one is definitely sweet if it can be arranged, not only for the training, but someone right there to have immediate feedback, correction, and just having someone to talk with personally about vent stuff and ideas.
But not always a requirement - you can still get quite good on your own.

Many years ago (too many to say the number because it will really make me feel old), I applied for a job with the Officer Phil program. For anyone who may not be familiar with that program, they hire vents to present safety programs in schools. It's been too long to remember my interviewer's exact words after I performed for him, but basically, he thought I had personal training from a professional vent.
My only training had been Paul Stadelman's book.
(and no, I didn't get the job, but that had to do with relocation issues)

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
I thoroughly recommend Tom's online course. Having someone so committed to explaining how to do it really helps and is like having a mentor available whenever you need one. The Maher course is also tried and true and has so much written information. All up if you can combine both of these I think you'll have an outstanding education program.
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On 2012-11-14 19:22, tacrowl wrote:
Thanks for recommending my course Doug.

The way I learned was finding a professional ventriloquist who's technique and show I respected, then asking them to teach me. Private one-on-one lessons with a skilled vent are expensive, but worth more than you ever pay if you practice and put their advice to use. Unfortunately finding a professional vent who is both skilled and funny means chances are they are traveling and busy. If you can't take private lessons, my course offers them in a virtual version.

Tom

You're welcome, Tom.

Greg:
Just get Tom's course. It really is the best way to learn this art without the benefit of private lessons from a full-time working pro who's also funny. Why do you think Tom put together an on-line course that you can do from home?
Doug
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Why? To make money?
Sorry that was too easy. I'm not saying anything against Tom's course, I don't know anything about it, I was only trying to present other options for those who for some reason may have no interest in doing an on-line course, or maybe don't have the money or want to spend the money for it.

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Dave -
Money wasn't the reason. I earn my living working corporate shows which are much more profitable than selling a $97 course to a small niche market. I started the course to help people learn ventriloquism the proper way, shorten their learning curve and teach them improvement techniques not available in any book. If I was about the money - I would have mentioned the course myself. Greg asked how to take it to the next level - the best way to learn. Books are fine, DVD's and videos okay - but the best way to learn and actually get to the next level is through private lessons. If you can't do that - the course is an excellent option - and with the money back guarantee - you honestly can't lose on it.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
You know Tom, if I could I would have a mentor/tutor but as I've mentioned soooo many times before that just doesn't happen here in Australia Smile People don't like to share that much of their skills with others. Luckily though there are courses such as your available and even some of the best vents in the world learnt by little more than a small book and a lot of dedication.

Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 00:19, Dickens & Dave wrote:
Why? To make money?
Sorry that was too easy. I'm not saying anything against Tom's course, I don't know anything about it, I was only trying to present other options for those who for some reason may have no interest in doing an on-line course, or maybe don't have the money or want to spend the money for it.

Dave:

As Tom said, he didn't put this course together for the money. I can't believe he's selling this for only $97! What a steal for someone wanting to learn this art properly from the ground up. Unless of course they'd rather spend $130 for the Maher Course. Even the Maher course is a bargain at that price.

When you consider the income that can be made if you are a technically proficient and highly entertaining ventriloquist, these courses are basically being given away.

Doug
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Aussie & Dave - I realize books are an option and you can certainly learn ventriloquism from them. I don't want to sound like I am knocking books. I'm also not going to knock videos and DVD's - although I advise people to be careful because I own a lot of bad "instructional" videos.

Jeff learned from books and the Jimmy Nelson records - look at what he's achieved. Terry Fator did too.

All I did was take modern technology to update the learning process, offer insights and tips from my professional experience and hopefully help people shorten the learning curve. My course won't be right for everyone. I still recommend the Maher Course and books such as Taylor Mason's. My goal was create a way to help people learn and improve their skills.

If they have better success with another option - then they should definitely go that route.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Okaaay.....my comment of "Why? To make money?" was a joke, the "Sorry that was too easy." should have been the tip-off.
And then to see two responses that want to suggest the money has nothing to do with it.....seriously?

Up to that point, all I did was suggest the book I always recommend, Aussie also suggested the Maher course. The basis of another of my posts was that it is possible to get good without a personal tutor, and in another post that I just said I wanted to let the OP know that there are other options.
Doug's response is "Just get Tom's course." - period, followed with why do you think he created it.

Well of course Tom created it to sell and make some extra money.
Yes, Tom, I'm sure you make more money with your shows, but if your selling it for nearly a hundred bucks, you can't claim your motives are truly altruistic, solely for the good of helping other people wanting to learn, otherwise you'd had put it up freely available or for some token amount amount...50....25...enough to defray costs of printed materials....oops, there aren't any of those, never mind...

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with creating a course and selling it. Many have already done it. My idol in the art wrote a book, created an audio version of his course, and gave classes, and he made money from it, but he didn't claim afterwards it's not about the money.

But back on topic for the OP - there are a lot of courses available, decide what works best for you. I always learned best from books, others need personal training, for others a video or on-line course is what would work best for them. Sometimes it may help to use a combination. Ten people could tell you one source is the best way and the next ten could say that way is worthless, it can be some trial and error finding what works best for you, but worth it in the end.

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Idol? But mate I haven't written a course yet Smile

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Hahaaa, okay Aussie, you'll have to be an "idol in the running" for now.

Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote: Doug's response is "Just get Tom's course." - period, followed with why do you think he created it.

Well duh!!! He put this together because he's far too busy doing shows to take time to give private one-on-one lessons, and, because he loves the art of vent.

I know Tom and he's more concerned about giving prospective vents (and practicing one's too), the proper tools to be a better vent. The last thing the world needs is another crappy vent. There are plenty enough of them out there already, foisting their "fall asleep shows" on the unsuspecting public.

I also consider $97 to be a token amount for this course. I think there's nothing wrong with Tom getting a "token amount" for the time and effort he put into developing this course and marketing it. God forbid he should make a couple of dollars doing it!!!
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Well Duh!!! right back at you.
Didn't I say there was nothing wrong with creating a course and selling it.
Did I say he should give it away for free?....only in reference to suggesting that it was truly as a service, making money from it had nothing to do with it.
God forbid you should actually read what people write.

Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Sigh...Whatever.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Exactly.

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 19:04, Dickens & Dave wrote:
Tom, I'm sure you make more money with your shows, but if your selling it for nearly a hundred bucks, you can't claim your motives are truly altruistic, solely for the good of helping other people wanting to learn, otherwise you'd had put it up freely available or for some token amount amount...50....25...enough to defray costs of printed materials....oops, there aren't any of those, never mind...

Dave,
I've responded to this quote privately.

Greg,
Truly sorry this disrupted your thread. Don't let that drive you away from the forum, it is usually a very friendly place.

To everyone else -
This is the first time I've seen the vent forum spiral downward like this. Lets leave that to the other egos and sections of the Café and get things back on an even, friendly basis here.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Need some advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL