The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best floating dollar bill? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
At a restaurant I want to be able to float a bill in the air. I want to make it look as realistic as possible so I'm assuming I have to use a transcluent type of string. Is Tarantula good for this? Or something more expensive like the Spider Pen Pro? What would you recommend for this? Thanks Smile
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Frostie,

I'm not sure your definition of "realistic" but there are many methods and ways to float a bill. If you're going to use IT I would not recommend starting with the Tarantula or SPP. Start with the basics. Check out Steve Fearson or Michael Ammar's work with IT.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 11:29, Frostie wrote:
At a restaurant I want to be able to float a bill in the air. I want to make it look as realistic as possible so I'm assuming I have to use a transcluent type of string. Is Tarantula good for this? Or something more expensive like the Spider Pen Pro? What would you recommend for this? Thanks Smile

Sounds like you are new to IT. One of the best ways to get up to speed is with Steve Fearson's Master Levitation System:

There's a demo on the site:

http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......ts_id=43
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Of course, if you want simple and trouble free, I would recommend Finn Jon loops.

Bob Phillips
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 13:46, bobn3 wrote:
Of course, if you want simple and trouble free, I would recommend Finn Jon loops.

Bob Phillips

He's never used IT or IET. At 5 for $10, he'll spend a fortune going through Loops trying learn how to use them.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Start off with a medium size ITR (it's more forgiving then a small model) carry two or three of them -Just in case.
And remember, it doesn't matter if you are the best magician in the world if light is coming from the wrong direction or there's too much light you have to pass on that table.

Magicsmith has a nice little light bulb that floats. And because the light is created within the effect, you can use that to your advantage. http://www.magicsmith.com/robert-vitelli39s-twili39.html

BUT I do understand why you might borrow a 5 and use it for the last trick Smile
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
In most cases I haven't floated dollar bills in restaurants because of lighting conditions. You have to dress appropriately and have good lighting conditions if you are going to be using IT to float objects.

Quote:

Zombie Magic wrote:

Sounds like you are new to IT. One of the best ways to get up to speed is with Steve Fearson's Master Levitation System

This seems to be a very good and interesting recommendation. Thank you for sharing. The extent of my learning is using Loops and studying Michael Ammar's DVDs on IT. This guy seems to have come up with ways to use IT that looks really cool.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
[/quote]

Sounds like you are new to IT. One of the best ways to get up to speed is with Steve Fearson's Master Levitation System:

There's a demo on the site:

http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......ts_id=43
[/quote]

By looking at the demo, it looks like it covers all of the basics. I had to learn a lot of them the hard way by experimenting. Looks like you can't go wrong with Steve's DVD.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Michael Ammar's Floating Bill video ( now on DVD ) Classic Renditions Ammar- #1, is also an excellent source. He shows the clip of him performing the effect for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show and then teaches the routine and the reasons of using borrowed bills.

After the show, Johnny came back to the dressing room and Michael asked him "did any of that fool you". Johnny said "you fooled the $#@! out of me".
Frostie
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Frostie
It's not a huge deal to me if it's hard (I will practice as much as I can), but I do favour something that is easy to set up and can do it randomly in the middle of a conversation. My realistic definition is so when people come up and say WOW while I'm performing this sitting down at a table and they won't suspect a thing. I know light is a huge factor though.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 15:18, Frostie wrote:
It's not a huge deal to me if it's hard (I will practice as much as I can), but I do favour something that is easy to set up and can do it randomly in the middle of a conversation. My realistic definition is so when people come up and say WOW while I'm performing this sitting down at a table and they won't suspect a thing. I know light is a huge factor though.

Yeah, you got to be very careful with lighting conditions and make sure you do not wear clothing that contrasts with the color of the IT. You'll get busted if you don't carefully consider the lighting conditions and dress in clothing that matches the color of the IT. Another thing to consider is that the further away you from those watching your performance, the more difficult it will be for them to see how you are floating objects if the lighting conditions are not ideal. I have stayed away from using IT working at my restaurants due to the lighting conditions.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
For what it's worth, I use a now unavailable gimmick Kevin James put out years ago he called a "spooler". Have been using them for many years. Over the years I've been able to collect 5 of them.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 15:31, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 15:18, Frostie wrote:

Yeah, you got to be very careful with lighting conditions and make sure you do not wear clothing that contrasts with the color of the IT. You'll get busted if you don't carefully consider the lighting conditions and dress in clothing that matches the color of the IT. Another thing to consider is that the further away you from those watching your performance, the more difficult it will be for them to see how you are floating objects if the lighting conditions are not ideal. I have stayed away from using IT working at my restaurants due to the lighting conditions.

Wise words General_Magician!

Lighting varies throughout a restaurant and it would take dedication to know your ideal spaces. You can find a sweet spot, but when people see it in areas that are not ideal, they still want to see it performed for them and you won't be able to. Not good!

When Ammar used to work strolling, he said it was the last effect he'd perform because he said that's all they would want to see. Michael said "make sure it's the very last trick you do and have the car running". lol.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Most of the basics have been covered, so I'll address the specific question; which is the best?

Well, that depends on your definition of 'best'.

For years, the single tent fold or scrunch ball approach given by Ammar or LeClair was the standard bill float; actually this idea pre-dates them by quite a bit. The earliest source I have that describes the scrunch ball approach is in Dunninger's 'Complete Book of Magic'. Admittedly, he uses tissue paper instead of a bill, but the method is exactly the same.

I've seen (and performed) many different bill floats, but I have to say that the Zero Gravity bill from Mesika's Spider Pen Pro DVD is currently the best and the one I'm performing most often.

Now while I would not recommend trying this float with either a static hookup or an ITR, it *could* be done.

For a beginner though, follow the recommendations above. I started IT work by picking up the UFO card at Disneyland ages ago.

A few reference books not mentioned:

John LeClair's "Who's Afraid of Invisible Thread"
Wiseman's "The Invisible Thread Manual"
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Get Ammar's ETMTM 3 DVD set it is great and covers it all.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 14:05, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-15 13:46, bobn3 wrote:

Bob Phillips

He's never used IT or IET. At 5 for $10, he'll spend a fortune going through Loops trying learn how to use them.

Loops are not hard to use...just requires some slight acting ability. Acting is generic. They also have a free replacement policy, just return the broken loops and they will replace them for free. All it will cost is a 44 cent stamp. Here is the web site so the person can decide on their own.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......_id=2343
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
You've had some great advice already.

Personally, I've always used a mini-ITR (anchored to the bottom of a beer bottle that I place on the bar or table).

Just for fun, have you ever seen a corpse doing a magic trick? This is how NOT to convincingly levitate a bill! Smile

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vrRQB540m9s
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I agree. Even though you can't see the IT, your eye automatically goes to the source. It's just human nature. That's why laypeople figure out that you must be using a IT because they follow the path. Now if you do it right, of course this is not true. The stuff mentioned in this topic is a great example on how to do it correctly. This Dracula looking guy is a great lesson on how not do it as Merc Man said.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
The Art of Invisible Thread by John LeClair is good
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-16 07:30, Merc Man wrote:
You've had some great advice already.

Personally, I've always used a mini-ITR (anchored to the bottom of a beer bottle that I place on the bar or table).

Just for fun, have you ever seen a corpse doing a magic trick? This is how NOT to convincingly levitate a bill! Smile

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vrRQB540m9s

Barry, you skunk. I laughed so hard my screen is wet.

Priceless clip!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best floating dollar bill? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL