The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Anyone know this trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seneca77
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay, Florida
199 Posts

Profile of seneca77
Really not much of a trick, more of a puzzle. Take a shuffled deck and deal the first card face up. (Jacks count as eleven, queens twelve, kings thirteen). Let's say it's a nine. Deal the next card face up onto the nine and, regardless of its value, call it ten. Deal another card in the same fashion, calling it eleven. Then twelve, and finally thirteen. Stopping at thirteen, turn the pile face down and begin a new pile.

If the card you turn up is, say, a six, you would deal seven more cards face up onto it, then turn the pile face down. All piles stop at "13". Keep doing this until the deck is depleted. If there are cards left over, i.e. you can't make a full pile, keep them in your hands.

Remove all but three piles and add them to the leftover cards in your hand. Turn the top card over of two of the piles. Add the values of the cards together, and add ten to the total. Remove that many cards from the cards in your hand. For example, if you turned over a five and a jack, that equals sixteen. Add ten to make 26. Remove 26 cards from the deck in your hand. Then count the remaining cards in your hand. If you have, say, eight cards in your hand, the top card of the third pile on the table will be an eight.

Again, it's hardly miraculous, but it was something my father showed me when I was very young. Anyone know of its history, or can it be dressed up to be more than a mathematical puzzle?

Thanks!

- Bob
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The following tricks are based on the same principle.

'Necromantic Calculation' by Roland Humblen in "Encyclopedian of Card Tricks"(1937).
'Mathematical Finders' by unknown in "Scarne on Card Tricks"(1950).
'Twisting the Plot' by Larry Jennings in "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings"(1986).
'Afinities' by unknown in "Vernon Chronicles Vol.2"(1988).

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Anyone know this trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL