The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice for Class Tricks - Need advice from the Magicians! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drigerbest
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of drigerbest
Simple question -

I have been selected to do 1 or maybe more tricks just to a class of 16 year olds

Any ideas on how I can do some good tricks where people will be interested?

I am mainly looking for gimmicks which do tricks which look "impossible". Im just no good at normal card tricks with a pack of cards.
drigerbest
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of drigerbest
Anyone please?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Don't do card tricks.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
What is your skill level? How long do you have to prepare? What is your budget? Theme? The question may be simple, but not necessarily the answer - need more info...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
IDeck
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I'd say "NO" to the ID. If you already think you're no good handling cards, PLEASE don't ruin it for the rest of us! (...he said in his most amenable voice...)

Jim is right. We do need more info.

You should also consider just who your audience is. “Sixteen year olds” covers a lot of territory. Is this a high school classroom, a special needs unit, a driver’s ed class, a Scout troop? Each of those groups will be attracted by something different. What ties them together?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the focus of their interest will be YOU, not some magic trick, at least initially. What can you do that grabs attention quickly. Doesn’t have to be flashy, it just needs to send the message that “You really don’t want to miss this!” You can also do that with just your personality (if you have one) Smile

Beyond that, let us know what you’re capable of, and we can be more helpful.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1389 Posts

Profile of edshern
Don't think the guys here can help you without more information.
Do you have any skills? Do you own any magic at all?
Tell us about yourself.
PS- Why were you chosen for this?
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Do a book test/ a lippincott box and then 10 count sponge ball on the cutest girl in the class and call it a day. Do Not Overstay your Welcome!!!!!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Do out of this world.....but don't call it out of this world....if you do they can just look it up on youtube.

It looks impossible, is easy to do and doesn't use a gimmick.....so you can hand the cards out.....plus you can get each member of the class to name red or black...get the whole class involved.

Danny
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Magic Square
Paper Balls Over Head
Professor's Nightmare (or version of)
Book Test (make it relevant to the class)
Swami Gimmick routine
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hi there just a thing a bout book test. I have recently used a effect word in a million. it produced by JB magic. It easy to use and great effect. I would open with something quick at the start like vanishing cane.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
In my opinion, Kids, and especialy Teenager's, can be very difficult to deal with unless you have made a study of how to deal with them. Adults (sober) tend to be polite and attentive and are not out to expose you (think teenager's).

Bottom Line:
You would be best off to master your intended audience before mastering any Magic.
Just my opinion.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice for Class Tricks - Need advice from the Magicians! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL