The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Are you THE escape artist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am sitting in a family restaurant with, oddly enough, my family. A woman whom I do not know walks up to me and says... "are you THE escape artist?" Not one to blow my own horn, how do I answer that? "Yes I am THE escape artist," sounds at best, pompus. I tired to say yes in amore down to Earth way. Aparently she had seen the show I did last week and wanted to tell me how much her son enjoyed the show. I thanked her, and asked if she belonged to a church. Why not turn a chance meeting into a business opportunity? She said she did so I gave her a card and a magic castle guest pass. Who knows what could come of it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Wait, Church is a business? Now I'm confused.
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I do fund raising shows for non-profit organizations. get it?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

AH! I see. That's cool. So you do shows for non-profits. Very interesting specialization. Is it to make money or just for fun, or both?
-Max Maven
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Profile of escapologist2001
I'm a Methodist minister. Church isn't a business, but it does have to use *some* business practices!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 00:03, magicbymccauley wrote:
Wait, Church is a business? Now I'm confused.

Yes, and one of the oldest. The RC Church has assets in the billions. Funny thing how... oh wait. This belongs in the "Scam Artist" section.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
In some parts of Europe, the people are taxed about 10 percent on behalf of the churches for up keep. A sin if you ask me. escapologist 2001, you should know you are in a business, all churches are, each has a different brand and advertised to a different type of person. Sometimes, believers will swap brand (church) because it doesn't like what it hears and is asked to do.

If it wasn't a marketed business, there would be only one church for one god, but there aren't, there are many gods and many ways to take the money.

there wouldn't be so many if they had to pay tax.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The C of E is the rich list in the UK, they own more property, land, gold reserves and pay less in taxes than anyone else. The congregation (Scammed) Still fill their plates up on Sundays even though Churches are becoming empty and the Clergy continue to get wealthy. Even at the end of their service the Clergy get hefty pensions and well paid seats in the House of Commons.

So long as there are suckers (Us) This will continue.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
It's interesting to note that none of them are democracies but rule by fear. Fear of the unknown and get paid by congregation.
I just wish they had to prove what they were selling.

Out here they some of the best real estate, normally top of hills so they can look down on the human sheep. (and to the slaughter they send their children willingly)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nat......22742252
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Tip of the iceberg...
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
What icebergs as well as real estate, gold and minds?
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I am not a big fan of religion in general, but you guys are painting with a pretty wide brush . . . let's not toss the baby out with the bathwater . . . (thinking of another cliche to ring in . . .)
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You can drink bathwater, but eating babies is generally frowned upon in our culture.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Some mother's should eat their young at birth.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Harley, you haven't see my bathwater . . .
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

The problem isn't religion, it's ORGANIZED religion. All organizations are corrupt: gov't, religion, corporate.

Take the organization out of it and there's no problem.
-Max Maven
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-12-10 17:35, magicbymccauley wrote:
The problem isn't religion, it's ORGANIZED religion. All organizations are corrupt: gov't, religion, corporate.

Take the organization out of it and there's no problem.

Except for the lone fanatic who blows himself up in a restaurant to "collect souls for Nyarlathotep."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

In that case Steve, yes, there is the "lone nut" effect. But organizations have done more harm to the world than a whole basket of lone nuts. It's governments, religions, and corporations that start wars and murder people. Yes, there is the occasional psychopath, but stack up the bodies and one pile is so much larger you can't even see the other pile.
-Max Maven
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Years after Genghis Khan conquered what is now Beijing, travelers reported a white hill there. It was the bones of the dead.

Genghis established the second empire in history to practice religious tolerance. The first was that of the Mauryan emperor Ashoka, who killed a LOT of opponents before converting to buddhism.

www.bladewalker.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Neither was an EA.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Are you THE escape artist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL