The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Best source To learn to vent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I've got a few tapes and books on it but I am no where near mastering this art. I do a puppet in a hat routine which kills but I don't throw any voice. He just whispers in my ear. So is it hard to learn or does it just take a lot of effort. I am very impressed by vent workers, thus I know it would be great to add it to my abilities to entertain with. Any reccomendations, pm if ya wish. Trois Smile
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Like anything else, it takes practice. Really, I believe anyone can learn the art if they apply themselves.

Maher Studios has invaluable audio, video, and written resources. I believe their website is http://www.maherstudios.com . I highly recommend getting on their mailing list, if you aren't already.

See ya!
Joe L.
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Thank you jlibby. Your imput is appreciated. You must be the only vent on the magic Café. Yes I believe it can be mastered, especially if you have good guidence. Thanks you once again, Trois Smile

I got some nice tips from a real working pro tonight. He helped me with the B sound. It is going to take some work, but what the heck I'm going for it. The Maher site is good ,plus my pro friend reccommended it too. cheers, Trois Smile
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
Giday Trois

I have been working with "CooCoo the Cockatoo" for 18 months. I had put of initiatinhg vent work for years because I did not believe that I would be good enough.

However I have been amazed at how well this act has developed and grown so that it is now percieved by audience members as one of the high points of the show.

To start with I chose the Cockatoo because I figured I could talk like a sqeaky bird with out to much trouble and have discovered that I can do it with out too much trouble as long as iI keep the bird moving and looking like it is alive and active.

It is simply another illusion.

I am having a great time with this segment of my act and am considering introducing another animal possibly a possum to use in return performances.

If you would like to send a PM I wo0uld be happy to discuss the basics of how I develpoed my current act.

It sounds like you have a great helper in your vent contact and this should give you the confidence to go for it.

Troppo Bob Smile
braveneil
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of braveneil
Hi, may I know where to find "bird warbler" concealed in mouth type?
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I graduated from the Maher School of Ventriloquism in 1973.

Tapes are a good way to go, but try the Maher course.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Thanks Troppo Bob , a pm is on the way. Thanks to you too Neale ! Smile Smile Smile
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
IMHO Maher is the best!

For free on-line lesson try http://www.axtell.com/learn.html

For discussion with other vents all over the world joint Worldvent at http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/WORLDVENTS

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Trois
There are plenty of Vents here.
I have been a working vent for many years. I don't know if you are USA but the best place to network, learn, watch evening shows,buy figures and accessores (figure tables, cases, eyes, tapes), etc. is VENTHAVEN.
http://www.venthaven.com
It's HEAVEN for ventriloquists! If you think Magic conventions are wild, imagine a couple hundred people with puppets/figures talking to themselves! It's held in Kentucky near the world class museum of Ventriloqusts. I look forward to seeing you there this upcoming year.
Smile
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Got a tape from Rick Fisherman. It is not bad. I am work with it. I feel like I can do the exercises ok but still don't feel as if I HAVE IT yet. More work to do.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
580 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I'd like to recommend Steve Taylor's 3-tape series. I found they were the biggest help to me at the begining. The Maher Course is also full of excellent material, but I really liked the way Steve illustrates what needs to happen in your mouth to make the substitue sounds.

I forgot to mention that you can find Steve's tapes on the Axtell website.
HighClass
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HighClass
Great info Here. I'm just getting started too.
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Hi Trois..I too would recommend the Maher Course in Ventriloquism. It is absolutely the best..and not bcause I did the DVD for it. I learned from the original old mimeograph (what's that?) course many years ago. Also I liked "Ventriloquism of Today" (book) by Paul Stadelman. Hope this helps!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
The book Mark mentioned by Paul Stadelman, "Ventriloquism of Today" is the only source I used to learn the art, and I created a PDF file of the book which is free - just pm me your email address and I will send it to you.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Best source To learn to vent (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL