The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Great with my hands but....... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
Bad at making up patter. What do you guys do? Iam great on stage at my shows with talking to the people. but when I get one on one I stumble. I wonder why?
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
My guess would be a lack of self-confidence. Do you also stumble with talking one-on-one outside of the context of magic....just regular conversation? If regular conversation is fine, then I'd think that you need to practice and memorize the general story line or patter for your effects. Also how old are you? If you are still very young then it is safe to say that this skill will grow in time.

Whatever the case, you are already on your way to fixing it. I say that because you are conscious of it AND you are taking steps to learn how to correct it.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Eugene Burger had some great advice on one of his videos Close-Up Gourmet.
When performing an effect (in this case; Card to Wallet) He suggests timing your actions with your patter.
That way you know what you are going to say based on the moves needed to accomplish the effect. ( and it serves as a reminder)

For example: Eugene says while performing CTW; "My hand is empty. In my back pocket is a wallet and in that wallet is a card." "What card do you think it is?"
The patter works together with the specific movements and sleights to accomplish the effect.

All your effects should have a story line of some sort and by choreographing the patter you use with the sleights performed gives your actions meaning as well as the confidence to NOT stumble over your words. You'll know what to say and the effect will flow more smoothly.

I hope that made sense.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
Awww Thanks dave. that might work. Mike I am a Emcee of all thing, and deal with people all the time. Just with magic I stumble. Check out my page. Every show I do is a sell out. Look me up on goggle also. Jimmy Big Bopper Prince. Thanks for the advise.

http://www.jimmyprinceshow.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Magic8161, close up/ 1 on 1 is th same thing as being on stage, just there are fewer members in your audience and the stage is a little smaller. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Great with my hands but....... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL