The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » We Live and we Learn - Lop Sided Cyclops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
There is NO END to the things people can be offended by...You can drive yourself crazy trying to avoid these situations.
Penut Butter....good greif!
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Name your fictional monster "Eileen", and hope that you never run into a limping little girl with the same name. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
This is why I quit using Fantasy Magician in my show. I never received any offensive remarks from the few times I performed with it, and I wanted to keep it that way. My best prevention was to quit performing the trick.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Since when are catholics the only one's who cross themselves?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Jim,

I have no idea who else does it. I am not catholic but know that is something that they do. Who else does it?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I think the trinity is christian and that all christians cross themselves. Maybe I'm wrong.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Jim,

I don't want to hijack the topic with this side topic, but I am pretty sure it is mainly Catholics. Protestants don't do it. I have gone to many different Protestant branch type of churches and none of them have done it. I have only seen Catholic believers do this ritual, that is why I said that. I do worry about possibly offending them as it obviously has some meaning for them. My guess would be only a few would be offended but it is something I am concerned about. To segue back to the topic at hand, I didn't offend you did I?:)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
To me it is the individual, not the religion.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2012-11-20 17:08, Paul Rathbun wrote:
I have no idea who else does it. I am not catholic but know that is something that they do. Who else does it?

Vampire hunters.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Paul,
I've seen crossing yourself used by lots and lots of people as a joke. I've even seen a chinese juggler do this before he attempts a hard trick. I'm catholic and I'm not offened by it.

Jim
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
George,

Good to know. I think the Boondock Saints do it as well.

Jim,

I doubt many would be offended, but I guess I figured someone could think I am mocking their religion.

I will probably keep doing it. Thanks.

-Paul
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
When an adult is in my hand chopper and I am about to thrust the blade thru, I tell them to repeat the magic words after me, and nothing will happen. "Our Father, Who art in Heaven . . . " I had a guy in there one time that I think was Jewish and he said 'I don't think so pal." It got a good laugh.

I was brought up Protestant. We do not do the cross on our chest thing. But I actually do it as a joke sometimes, never thinking I may offend anyone. Maybe I should try laying out a small red carpet and getting down on my knees and kissing the floor and see how many people would be offended lol

Dat not funny?????
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I think that is super funny. My father is a reverend, and I know he would find it funny as well. Then again I have a unique family, and it’s rather difficult to offend us.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sometimes I would get on one knee and look at the ceiling (when the spectator was bad) and say "Why me?". but the floor is too far away now.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 12:58, jay leslie wrote:
"Why me?"

Have you received an answer yet?

Quote:
but the floor is too far away now.

Try standing a little closer to the floor.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Great thread, but it's all been said. I think it's time the MC incorporates a "like" button, to make reading threads a lot quicker....
;)
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
The cross reference reminds me of the old joke, about a yenta

explaining, Oh no, I was just checking

My tiara, my brooch and my cameo.

Harris
wary of lions tigers and bears....
and with his tongue somewhere near his cheek.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Or the elder Rabbi, spectacles, testicles, wallet & watch....Also I think because of his faux pas...everyone should stop using Tommy's props and send them all to me...I know what to do with them...LOL
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I also do a bit in one of my routines where I cross myself (I am not Catholic.) I performed it at a Catholic church function once and the Priest was laughing his a** off when I did it. I performed at a nursing home, and a nun approached me and was offended. You never know how people will react.

If it doesn't make or break the routine, I think taking it out can't hurt. At the same time, there is darn near nothing that you could use to explain the monster's hideous appearnace without referencing an ailment that someone really has. If you said he was ugly, for example, I would take that as a personal insult 'cuz I am, too.

I also want to mention that I think it's therapeutic for you to share that experience here!
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2012-11-22 18:31, Starrpower wrote:
I also do a bit in one of my routines where I cross myself (I am not Catholic.) I performed it at a Catholic church function once and the Priest was laughing his a** off when I did it. I performed at a nursing home, and a nun approached me and was offended. You never know how people will react.

If it doesn't make or break the routine, I think taking it out can't hurt. At the same time, there is darn near nothing that you could use to explain the monster's hideous appearnace without referencing an ailment that someone really has. If you said he was ugly, for example, I would take that as a personal insult 'cuz I am, too.

I also want to mention that I think it's therapeutic for you to share that experience here!

I shared it because I felt so bad when I first saw her e mail. We all love getting positive feedback and I was horrified when I read her comment about "Monsterizing" a birth defect. So I figured the best thing to do was to share it with other magicians to get their take on the subject and to enlighten others about the unecessary line about the uneven legs.

I myself think the teacher may have over reacted a bit but who am I to say how she really felt, or how I made the child really feel. Either way, the way her e mail made ME feel sparked a concern and I felt the need to share.

My friends here on the Café' have really brought up some good points.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » We Live and we Learn - Lop Sided Cyclops (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL