The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a false count... of dollar bills... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
182 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
Sorry if this isn't an appropriate place to ask this - this is a cross post from the money thread

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=210&3

Given the similarities between cards and bills (both flat relatively rectangular things) I was curious if there may be some interdisciplinary brainstorming that could apply here...

I am trying to come up with different ways to false count dollar bills - I was wondering if any of the techniques used in cards may be translatable to the medium of dollar bills. If anyone knows any card specific techniques that may work, I'd be happy to hear about where I could go about learning them.

I already know one false count that Daryl uses. And there is a commercial version of this by Nick Einhorn that I just purchased. However, I have a way to expand this into an entire routine rather than just one trick, so I am looking for the best false counts I can find to build this up the best way.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
calebjuggles
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of calebjuggles
What do you want the false count to achieve? More bills, less bills, hide bills?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Bob,

First off, welcome to The Magic Café. I hope you find your stay here to be pleasant and rewarding.

Secondly, kudos to you for attempting routining of more than one effect into a combined routine. This is a very worthwhile process and endeavor that many magicians never seem to explore.

Finally, sadly, I have no experience in false counting dollar bills--nor do I know of nay sources explaining any such technique. I'll leave it to fellow Café magicians to provide you with any such reverences...if any there be. Conceptually, I am having a very hard time envisioning being able to smoothly false count such floppy "sticky" (i.e., non-smooth surfaces) items together. But, if there are techniques for doing such out there, I'm certain you will hear from other Café members in this regard.

Best...and again, welcome.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Haven't tried it, but a Carlyle False Count will most likely work.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-11-19 13:58, bobthemagicdoerguy wrote:
Sorry if this isn't an appropriate place to ask this - this is a cross post from the money thread

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=210&3

Given the similarities between cards and bills (both flat relatively rectangular things) I was curious if there may be some interdisciplinary brainstorming that could apply here...

I am trying to come up with different ways to false count dollar bills - I was wondering if any of the techniques used in cards may be translatable to the medium of dollar bills. If anyone knows any card specific techniques that may work, I'd be happy to hear about where I could go about learning them.

I already know one false count that Daryl uses. And there is a commercial version of this by Nick Einhorn that I just purchased. However, I have a way to expand this into an entire routine rather than just one trick, so I am looking for the best false counts I can find to build this up the best way.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Hi Bob and welcome to the asylum!

Has anybody from the Paper Money Madness (or whatever that section is called - I've never visited it) mentioned a booklet by Jean Hugard called Money Magic? It is devoted entirely to magic done with paper money. I have the booklet but right now it's in storage so I cannot check for false counts, but it might be a good place to start. It's an older booklet obviously but if you are in the US, call Denny Haney. The booklet isn't expensive at all and I DO recall that it had some cool effects.

As I read your post I was thinking that many counts would or should work with bills provided the count is not done from Biddle for obvious reasons. I just did an Elmsley with four crisp Euro bills - three fives and a ten. It's been almost a year since I've handled American money but I do remember that bills in new condition almost automatically facilitate multiple push offs, etc. American bills are stiffer than Euros so you might try my little experiment. If the Elmsley works for you, so will a Jordan, OPEC, and perhaps the Veeser concept as well. Other counts related to the Elmsley because he invented them are the Everchange and Neverchange counts.

If you are using gaffed bills, a Rhumba count will serve nicely for what the Rhumba is designed to do. Since I am unsure what it is you want to accomplish, I am just tossing out some ideas. Anyhow, as you probably know, the Rhumba count is quite visually deceptive.

I am guessing here that you want some counts that display MORE or FEWER bills than you are actually displaying. If that's the case, Edward Victor's E-Y-E count - upon which the Elmsley is based, will do that for you. This count is still used in card magic as well. The way most people count bills such as in a bank lends itself perfectly for doing a buckle.

Not a count obviously but have you played with the idea of using the Ascanio spread?

Please understand that these are merely ideas but, as you mentioned, dimensionally we are essentially dealing with the same thing. The difference is that cards are stiff relative to bills which rules out Hamman counts, Biddles, etc. Also the smoother finish of cards versus bills could be a factor.

Lastly, if you look in Stars of Magic, there is a Bert Allerton routine called Pump Room Phantasy that you might want to check out. Additionally there are sleight of hand-nongaffed six card repeats extant. Perhaps studying those routines would provide a starting point for you?

I hope in some small way these suggestions might lead you to some success.

Namaste,
Vlad
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

The idea of the effect is count more bills than are present, so that one can cleanly disappear. The end of the routine would be bills appearing again, so a count could either over or under count it.

Vlad, you've just given me a list of more than I could ask for - the only moves you mentioned that I am familiar with are the Biddle and Elmsley. I've now got a few good leads to follow up on. And I do have Stars of Magic buried away in the garage... I'll have to dig that one out...

Thanks again everyoney!
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
I can remember meeting Stephen Bargatze at the Unconventional Convention back in like 2000 - I had just started performing back then. He does a false count with bills, and I was curious about it, and he took the time to explain it to me.

My hands just couldn't grasp it... haha...

But, I'd search youtube or anywhere else, find someone doing what you're looking for, and just ask. Most people are willing to help as long as you're being genuine, or at least point you in the right direction.
Mike
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
You could adapt the count from Edward Victors eleven card trick. I think Fred Kaps did that effect with bills.
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Kaps $11.00 Bill trick has a false count. As stated above, Stephen Bargatze used to sell a manuscript with the handling in there, but it might be out of print. Get in touch with him. As someone asked, not sure what you're trying to do. Hide bills, add bills, etc.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I have a video (performance only) of Kaps doing the $11.00 bill trick. But so far I've been unable to locate an explanation of a false count with bills in my Library. I have the Hugard Money Magic book mentioned earlier and went through it. It's not in there.

I think if you get a stack of dollar bills and start experimenting that you'll find that one of the false counts for cards might work. You may have to rub some fanning powder onto the bills so that they will slide over each other. I made up a set of the 6-Bill repeat with real dollar bills and I used the fanning powder on them.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
Tamariz uses a false count of cards, that applies beautifuly to bills. I beleive its in his cards across routine, might be on one of his DVDs.

Hope that helps.

Six
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
475 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Here is a demo and tutorial on how I do the Edward Victor walking fingers count with money. This is a password protected video. The password is E Victor and it is case sensitive.

https://vimeo.com/53983531

Since I'm teaching the mechanics and this is a public forum, I'll just leave this up for a few days or so before taking the video down.

One last thing I should mention. I find it very important to have some "sort quick," O'keefe's Working Hands or whatever you like to use to have some tack on your fingers when doing this count with money.

Good luck and have fun practicing. It will take practice to make it look good, but what doesn't?

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Again, thanks for the good insights, everyone.

The cross post over in the money section had someone respond with this same effect as a commercial gimmick from Nick Einhorn. I went ahead and purchased it to see what it does, and I'm creating a list of these ideas to look up as I move forward. (I'm new here, I have no clue how to find stuff when it gets buried by new posts...)

The guys at my local IBM ring suggested this site. They weren't kidding. You are all just the right amount of helpful!

Glenn: Thanks for the video. This is the method I learned from Daryl all those years ago. I would say I already knew it, but I got some additional subtleties from you. Thanks again.

Side question: If ever get this effect developed is there a way to post a hidden video of it here to get some feedback from others before trying it on a real audience?
drumorgan
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of drumorgan
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2012, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I have a video (performance only) of Kaps doing the $11.00 bill trick. But so far I've been unable to locate an explanation of a false count with bills in my Library. I have the Hugard Money Magic book mentioned earlier and went through it. It's not in there.

I think if you get a stack of dollar bills and start experimenting that you'll find that one of the false counts for cards might work. You may have to rub some fanning powder onto the bills so that they will slide over each other. I made up a set of the 6-Bill repeat with real dollar bills and I used the fanning powder on them.

Dennis Loomis

I just found a printout of this $11 Bill Trick from Fred Kaps. This being my 50th post, I should be able to go into the new Magician Only area and see if I can explain the false count it teaches. I got 20 new singles from the bank and realized that while they look very crisp, they stick together and "dealing" them off one at a time is quite tricky. The fanning powder you mention might be just the thing I need.
-Dru
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4715 Posts

Profile of landmark
There's a nice false count with four bills to read as five. I forget the name. Hornswoggled?
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
The best version of the Kaps version performed today is done by German Magician Joerg Alexander. Even after you see the explanation of his false count you will be shaking your head when you seem perform it. As far as I know there is only a video performance of his trick done in the Magic of Germany from Stevens Magic Emporium but since then (this is an old recording) he has come up with a much cleaner version of the trick. I am aware he has it in print on his lecture notes. BTW, anything done by this guy is just top notch. Look him up at http://www.zauberkunst.de/english.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a false count... of dollar bills... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL