The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Look How Impressive I Am (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
What magicians and sources should I look at in order to learn how to not come off like I am doing a trick for the benefit of my ego?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with flair and flourishes. The problem comes when it seems the flair and flourish is less for audience entertainment and more for looking awesome.

I realize there are topics about showmanship, as well as different schools of thought. If you know of topics that answer my question feel free to link to them. If you have personal experience to share, or do's and don'ts, I would also love to hear those things. Thank you all in advance.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Go to YouTube and watch a Cardini video. Cardini plays the role of a guy comming home drunk and the Magic is just happening to him, not by him. I'm not saying to copy his style, just learn from his style.
Get the audience caught up in a story and the rest will take care of itself.

If you are naturally a showoff with a big ego, go with it. That style might work for you.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-11-20 04:54, irossall wrote:
Get the audience caught up in a story and the rest will take care of itself.

Bingo! That is the secret, believe it or not! Smile May I give you a direction you might want to go? Can you afford $35? If you get this book, and follow it, I guarantee your magic will NEVER be the same, and you will have all you wish for, and then some!

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/tales_of_enchantment.htm

Doug
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Great advice above. Take this and explore it. I also think this is a great book http://www.beyonddeception.com/

Not only use stories and let the magic happen but also facilitate the viewer to do the magic. Here a illustration of that. I do a coin matrix and the story is about a street con. The first coin goes with no one knowing. Second coin goes with a catch me if you can. Third coin goes after the viewer wave there hand over the coins.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thank you Dougini and Yellowcustard for your recommendations. I am going to get both books as Christmas presents to myself. They sound excellent.

As a side note, I would like Master Payne to recommend some of the books he has read. I have learned a lot watching him perform.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Look How Impressive I Am (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL