We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Carnie Tarot question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Hey all,

Have any of you done anything to your Carnie Tarot cards to make them slide easier? I'm not interested in doing slights with them, just want 'em easier to thumb off the deck!

Know what I mean?

Thanks,
Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Ive heard fanning powder works great, but I'm worried it'll turn into grey spots like it does on playing cards.
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
PM sent. Smile
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Can you also send me the pm please? Smile
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2622 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Thanks, Stoltz! Smile
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
On a related note.

At first I struggled with the aging on the cards.
I felt like I was "fumbling" to put down a card, but eventually I realized something.

I was only looking at the whole process from one angle... Mine.
Once I considered the fact that I was "rushing" to deal down cards, I discovered going a little slower solved allot of problems.
First, the fumbling was a product of trying to simply deal the card down like it was an ordinary card! (A practical solution.)
Second I looked at it from the angle of the sitter; these cards are supposed to be special! (Theatrically it looks better.)

So rather than seeing the aging and issues with dealing the cards as a problem, I began to look at it as a positive thing!
It MAKES you slow down... Instead of looking at it as a negative, I began to find many more bonuses from being reminded to take this seriously.
The sitter has probably never seen cards this old before, or cards this special either, I decided to treat it like a special moment.
Suddenly, taking my time to properly lay down a card didn't seem like such a big issue.

Taking my time to carefully lay a card down has never had a negative impact, quite the contrary in fact.
I've discovered that sometimes, taking the time when handling the cards adds a sense of authenticity and ceremony to the process.
Makes it more dramatic if you like.

Take it for what you will, but my sitters have seemed to enjoy the -whole experience- of seeing old artifacts, especially Tarot.
I just needed to readjust my perspective a tad.

Just a thought!
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1768 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On 2012-11-20 02:39, Stoltz wrote:
On a related note.

At first I struggled with the aging on the cards.
I felt like I was "fumbling" to put down a card, but eventually I realized something.

I was only looking at the whole process from one angle... Mine.
Once I considered the fact that I was "rushing" to deal down cards, I discovered going a little slower solved allot of problems.
First, the fumbling was a product of trying to simply deal the card down like it was an ordinary card! (A practical solution.)
Second I looked at it from the angle of the sitter; these cards are supposed to be special! (Theatrically it looks better.)

So rather than seeing the aging and issues with dealing the cards as a problem, I began to look at it as a positive thing!
It MAKES you slow down... Instead of looking at it as a negative, I began to find many more bonuses from being reminded to take this seriously.
The sitter has probably never seen cards this old before, or cards this special either, I decided to treat it like a special moment.
Suddenly, taking my time to properly lay down a card didn't seem like such a big issue.

Taking my time to carefully lay a card down has never had a negative impact, quite the contrary in fact.
I've discovered that sometimes, taking the time when handling the cards adds a sense of authenticity and ceremony to the process.
Makes it more dramatic if you like.

Take it for what you will, but my sitters have seemed to enjoy the -whole experience- of seeing old artifacts, especially Tarot.
I just needed to readjust my perspective a tad.

Just a thought!

Makes good sense. Thanks!
JessicaSilver
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of JessicaSilver
I recall reading that fanning powder would work, but I'm also a little apprehensive, especially because of the oils the cards have been treated with. I've heard corn starch works as well, but I'm not willing to muck up my deck to find out.

Stoltz makes a good point about treating the cards like regular cards. They're not, not for you, not for the sitter. Slower really is better.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17685 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think that fanning powder doesn't work so well with Kron 1311 ...
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Carnie Tarot question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL