The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Coins needed to Charming Chinese Challenge - why so expensive? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
178 Posts

Profile of juan
I found at Hocus Pocus the coins needed to Charming Chinese Challenge. Why they are so expensive? They cost $34.95.
I really want buy the DVD, but do I need these coins? What is so special about the coins, can't I use regular Chinese coins?

Thanks,

Juan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you need a good magic prop that seems like a piddling amount, try buying digital camera gear! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Sure you can.
In fact I think you can use any coin with an hole in it.
Or finger rings for that matter.

Maybe I should watch the dvd one more time.
Smile
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
You could use washers for the effect. The chinese coins just look nice. In fact, if you were going to use washers, you could get some good comedy out of the routine. The chinese coins just make it more elegant.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
You also might want to try looking at a craft or bead store.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I use dollar sized washers, and perform the effect all the time. The "silver" color of the washers against the red ribbon, is very elegant; Believe it or not. It shows up well against my black suit, too.
Personally, unless I stumble upon just the right coins, I don't see any reason for me to switch.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
As others have said you DON'T have to use those Chinese coins being advertised for the effect. I was at my friend's house and I bought an old set of coins off of him. They are silver (not real) chinese coins about the size of a dollar. They worl absolutely fine.

I use a purple ribbon, it contrasts well against the coins.

As Eric said you can use washers. I was thinking about using washers and a shoelace. You could make some sort of comedy act out of that.

Chris
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Use washers and call 'em SLUGS. Smile
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
178 Posts

Profile of juan
Sorry, I'm from Brazil, and because of my bad english I have to ask this : what are "washers" ?

Juan
Amon-Re
View Profile
New user
Holland
86 Posts

Profile of Amon-Re
I've bought 20 real Chinese coins from the year 1851 - 1861. From those I found 8 similar looking ones and used them too make a set of four steel shimmed ones as I use a different technique for my chinese charming challenge which requires them too be steel shimmed. They have cost me a fortune but there is no way that people will argue this is not the real thing when I tell them these are old chinese coins. Which is important for the way I am presenting myself.

I really would rather not tell where I found them as it has cost me a lot of trial and error before I got the right coins. I've ordered dozens and dozens of coins on the Internet just too find out they where too small/tiny etc which has cost me a lot of money. But I also think some of you may really appreciate these coins as they work beautiful and have this ancient look which for some performers may be very important. So here goes nothing Smile

I've bought mine on http://chinaexchange.freeservers.com/coins_list.html
And you need coin number 75. These are Morgan Dollar sized coins and almost as thick as a Morgan dollar. They also work beautiful for spellbound etc. The problem is you can't just order 4 as they come in different quality. If you order around ten coins you will be able too make a set of four, which look similar enough, too do the routine. The coins are around 6 dollars each so it will be an expensive trick but then again you will have it your whole life long. I don't know the people from this site and have no commercial interest on the contrary I rather would keep it for myself Smile . They make a great conversation piece too btw.

If you want too see a picture of my steel shimmed ancient chinese coin set please ask so I will make a photograph and put it on the net. Another property of the coins is that they are worn so there smooth too handle I almost forgot that plus. I've been working with the routine for a long time and it's one of my pet effects though I changed the handling dramatically and the only thing which remains is the effect Smile though in my opinion a lot cleaner then it would need too be Smile

Another point too keep in mind is that the coins are made different they don't have the ring of a silver coin of course but sound more like a tin can which reminds me of chinese opera every time.

Now for the people still reading. Would anybody know of a copper coin the size of a Morgan dollar so I can make a copper/silver with a Morgan dollar?

Cheers,

Remon
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2003-11-05 04:45, juan wrote:
Sorry, I'm from Brazil, and because of my bad english I have to ask this : what are "washers" ?

Juan

It's not a word you encounter every day, even in English. You can find a picture at http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/Vetteboltslg.jpg . The washers are the round things with the hole in the middle.
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Check out in Chinatown, if you have one nearby. Many feng-shui shops sells replica of old chinese coins, they're very cheap, maybe like $1 a piece. I had seen some real old coins from there too, but they're too worn out I think it'll break into pieces if I dropped it on floor.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Amon-re... many thanks (Danke vel) for the great coin link.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Bedankt, Remon. I hope you're doing well. I'm still working on your V.C. Shuffle.

Eric
family/magic/music/life
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
178 Posts

Profile of juan
Thanks Curt, I'd never discover. In portuguese they are called "arruela".

Juan
Amon-Re
View Profile
New user
Holland
86 Posts

Profile of Amon-Re
I hope you will enjoy the coins if you order them mr. Biro I thought after a breef meeting at FISM in Den Haag I would take some of your advise and not lurk too much around here Smile B.t.w. It's "Dank je wel" the way it's spelled know is translated as thank you skin . Smile

Yo Eric. I've been extremly busy but I want too give you a big hug enormous congratulation. Father again man I know how extremly happy you must be knowing how you feel about kids. How's the band doing now a days Dan le Fay and I just talked about how we should try too meet again soon so let me know (we probably won't be able without driving too belgium Smile so'll be it then we can't cancel too many times now) The VCS is a great trick did not do it so much lately though I should pick that one up sometime.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Amon-re... need you to post a picture of yourself! Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Puhleeze...not a picture as well Smile
BTW your coins are defenitely not real Johnson's. You were screwed man!

No kidding, when Amon-Re hits you with his version you're gonna be fried.

For myself, I've tried many kinds of chinese coins. They all work. I never encountered any problems due to a non-smooth surface. Just pick the chineses you like most. Unless you are an art collector like Amon-Re...

He Eric, how's the family doing? You get your sleep?

Pete I was more impressed by your Hungarian than by your Dutch Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Hey! How come no comments on my Dutch? Is it because I've been around the language for seven years, and all I can say is "Verdomme!"

The family is growing and my sleep time is shrinking. It's 2 in the morning, and I just fed the little guy.

Remon, PM me with your routine, and I'll give you mine. I have great ending for you. You too, Dan. You guys should come to Vegas in January for the World Magic Seminar. We can session till our hands bleed.

Pete,
While we few lucky ones are aware of Remon's boyish good looks, let's keep it to ourselves.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Eric really, if I hadn't had the offer to go to Thailand in February I'd love to go to the WMS. But I can't afford to stay away from business too long.

Ha, and me thinking the Belgians are such polite people...meanwhile they're learning you all the bad words;-)
When Sarah swears at you that way just reply:
"potverdorie noggesantoezeg!"
If you can pronounce that next time we meet, the drinks are on me!!!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Coins needed to Charming Chinese Challenge - why so expensive? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL