The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppets or Dummies? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bearT
View Profile
New user
Chesterfield UK
23 Posts

Profile of bearT
It's about 3 weeks since I decided to learn ventriloquism, and almost as long since I found this forum, so I'm still learning and have a hell of a lot still to learn and discover Smile

What I found is the variety of puppets/dummies available and the variety of prices charged for them.

So does anyone else think of cost when buying their character, does this make a difference to what you buy or do you just save up and get what you really want...

What got me into vent 3 weeks ago (although I've been interested a lot longer but didn't do anything about it then) was when we were given a 3boxes of soft toys for the dogs, and while the wife and I were sorting through them I came across a puppet and told the wife there was know way the dogs were having that Smile
It's a Bear made by Peeko

OK it isn't a £1000 dummy but I see it as a way of getting started, it's also got quite a cute face Smile

A week later I came across an Orangutan by the same firm for £13 (inc postage)

I've since given him a nose ring, ear ring and a hat to add a bit of character

I'm pretty certain kids puppets aren't really the way to go but I think they will be good to learn with, what does everyone else think?
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Nina Conti uses a soft toy puppet that has now been discontinued. I'm sure it only cost her a few dollars.

Really it doesn't matter what you spend on your puppet/figure because ventriloquism is more than just about a puppet and lip control. It is about bringing life to an inanimate object. Have you seen Dan Horn's first Orson? That puppet was a heck of a lot uglier than what you have yet Dan forged a very successful career with him.

At this stage you just need something appealing that you can learn and practice with. Looks like you have two very good candidates.
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I can get as good of response with a sock and googly eyes as I do with my "dummy/figure" that has many bells and whistles.

Character development, scripting, ad-libbing and knowing your audience....priceless.

Harris
still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppets or Dummies? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL