The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Show coming (Chritmas Party) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JustDoIt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JustDoIt
Hello Everyone !
I am new to the forum as a registered user, but I have been a reader for few months already.

I have been studying magic (mainly close-up magic) with a professionnal magician for the last 2 years and in few days, I will be performing in my first corporative christmas party. Around 120 people, 2 hours, roaming from a group to the other, showing some of my best impromptu or not, fail-safe, confidence-builder tricks.

I am now taking any advice on this.. I know I will be shaking and stressed at maximum before the show, I will try not to puke, I will certainly try to survive.

I am now sure why I am so nervous before a performance (I did 3 mini-shows in last months, in front of friends and family, around 10-peeps groups), and I was of course very nervous, especially before and during the first 2 tricks. But since I think I master what I will do, and since I can talk in front of people without any problem, I am still wondering how I can get so nervous before this kind of show.

I will try to keep my performance to 15-20 minutes max, repeated from one group to the other, I guess it's the key. Do the same tricks many times to different persons.

Any other advice ? I am trying to build my confidence before the d-day !... ;-)

Thanks
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Don't worry about it, being nervous is a good sign. You will do fine. Enjoy the moment and by the end of it you wont want to finish. Goodluck!
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
"Don't worry" is really... actually good advice. What is it that you're worried about? You've been studying for 2 years with the guidance of a professional magician. It sounds like you're comfortable with your stuff. You'll do fine!

To break the ice for yourself, though, I would recommend finding walking up to the first group you see, introduce yourself, and do the effect you know the best; perhaps it's even the easiest. Don't put too much thought into which group you pick (although I would not approach the group at which your party contact is at first; just wait until you're in the groove and having fun). Just do your best / easiest trick. They will be amazed. You will feel relieved that it went well and realize you have nothing to worry about. After that, it's smooth sailing.

Just remember, you're the one that knows what's going on, and whats happening next. As long as they see something fun, they'll be entertained. People are at these parties to have fun; they'll already be having fun, and you'll be enhancing that.

Come back after and tell us how it went!
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Here is some advice I wish I had when I started.

Use 3 or 4 effects you are very comfortable with, so that you can concentrate on interaction. Don't overload your pockets with tons of tricks, which I used to. Go up to a group, chat, do a couple strong tricks and leave. After you do that for a few groups. Your nerves will settle and you will be able to branch out a little and have fun. There is no way to eliminate your nervousness until you just go out and do it. Be yourself, if they like you, they will like your magic, I promise

Just my thoughts

Ryan
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Congrats on the upcoming gig!

It sounds like the only reason you're nervous is because you haven't performed in public that much. After you've done the routines several times for real people, your nervousness will fade because you'll know you can do the routines without dropping, etc.

15 - 20 minutes per group sounds like a long time. Remember, the folks are at the party are interested in socializing, not just watching magic. From doing similar gigs myself, I find it effective to spend about half that much time at a group, and then come back to groups again later. You'll tend to build a rapport with certain people, and it's fun to come back to them with more stuff. Other magi may have a different point of view on this, which I'd like to hear too.

Anyway, why don't you try going into a bar or something for a couple of nights in a row, before your show date, and do some impromptu magic for the patrons there. You'll build up some confidence and go rolling into your gig with less nerves.

Good luck, and remember to have a great time! Your audiences will relax quite a bit and enjoy your magic if they can tell you are having a wonderful time Smile

Best,
Jim
LotaBowl.com

The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.

Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1416 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Just do it. It has been suggested in the past that you have 3 sets of 2 different effects. Then, just rotate... do 3 effects for one group, then another 3 for another group and finally 3 effects for the last group. Then repeat. Being nervous (especially in the beginning) is both normal and good. It keeps you on your toes. You will do just fine.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1416 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
That should be 3 sets of 3 effects. Sorry for the typo.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Your name says it all dude, JUST DO IT! stop worrying, you'll be fine! my family got sick of my magic really fast, and my friends couldn't understand that I was supposed to be a magician, they always saw it as some trick I learned that they should be figuring out, so I ended up performing for all sorts of people, including strangers. that's the best cure for any sort of nerves, go out and show your magic to anybody who will watch, go to the park, the mall, the bar (or since you're probably under 21 you can look for bar & grill sorts of places, or private clubs like the Eagles, they usually let people in who are underage) anywhere you can find people, and just perform, it doesn't matter if you mess up, because you don't have to hand out business cards, you don't have to tell them your name, you could give them a fake name for all that it matters because you're not getting paid and YOU NEVER HAVE TO SEE THESE PEOPLE AGAIN! go out and get some practice before the gig, you don't have to get over the nerves completely, that could happen fast, or it could take years, but you'll learn how to work with/through the nerves.

at the gig, avoid performing for too long, I'm not saying you should put yourself on a time limit but kind of keep track of how long you're there by how many effects you do, that's the beauty of the famous "3 sets of 3" rule, three tricks are really the perfect ammount, not too short, not too long, and you have a begginning, middle, and end. the most important thing is to relax, they've never seen anything like you before, when they think of magic they think kids shows and rabbits from hats and rediculous magic sets and tricks with 21 cards or lots of math, you get the idea. they've never seen anything you're doing and they don't know what to look for, even if they think they do, so relax and have a good time, you're at least 5 steps ahead of anybody watching. good luck and have fun.
JustDoIt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JustDoIt
Many many thanks to all of you who answered. I will take all your good advices and comments in my magic bag at the gig.

Gary, fyi, I am 36, haha. Yeah, just woke up in the world of magic but embrassing it. And yeah, you bet I chose my username for the circonstances! ;-)

Jim, I have built my program, I have 3 easy/self-confident tricks, the same impromtpu ones for each group, and 3-4 other tricks I will be ready to perform as bonus, later on for a group I previously did or as an extra for a entertained group.

Thanks to you Andrew, magicguy, Ray, deputy, I take all this into account. I am ready, and I will go test it on wednesday night at the bar with other people.

If any one have something else to say, I am listening, all your good words are vitamins stuff for my head.

:))
JustDoIt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JustDoIt
I just figured out that 3 sets of 3 is a very good setup, since I will do small groups and next group will often be just beside the previous ones, with very interested people sticking to the crowd asking for more.

I don't think I could use 3 sets of 3 impromptu (without setup) tricks as easily, but I will set my program considering this aspect. I am doing for example a prediction trick (one in 362880) but I have 4 different endings, so this can mislead sticky spectators...

sounds like a good plan

(as a reference --> http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=5&51)
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Nothing wrong with getting into magic later in life, better late than never. seems like you've got all your ducks in a row.
JustDoIt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JustDoIt
Yeah Gary, I am a very organized guy, and need to be. All what I am doing this week is to build a self-confidence minding for the d-day (including having these converations here...)

Thanks

Tonight, demo-show for small group of staff members at the spot, in order to get use to my new table and environment.
Oh, and here's the table I made

Click here to view attached image.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
You are going to be walking around with that table?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
If you're trying to get comfortable, I would recommend bringing only 2 sets: 3 tricks that you do all night long for every group, and 1 extra set of 2 tricks just in case you run into the same people or they want you to stay longer.

I (personally) got comfortable doing the SAME 3 tricks over and over. Switching back and forth between sets only confused me and put pressure to be good at more than was necessary. This allowed me to focus on my people skills and perfect the 3 tricks at every group.

You have a lot to focus on: Walking up to random people, making friends with them, showing them magic and joking around, and wishing them well as you move on. Each part is important and rotating sets could distract from the other very important parts. Comfort comes from familiarity, and my experience was that rotating did not make me comfortable (in the beginning).

Remember: Have fun!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
On your way to the gig, you should get in the zone. I suggest listening to some music that will get you pumped and excited.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
JustDoIt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JustDoIt
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 17:10, themagicguy wrote:

Yes, and I know the table is quite big for this kind of show but as a first table, it does the "standup" in front of 15 persons and the close-up job. In the future, I plan to make a smaller one for close up.
JustDoIt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JustDoIt
Yesterday night, I did a demo show at the place with 4 staff members as spectators.
It went really well, confidence is at the best, I found few corrections to bring to my setup and program, and I am ready for tomorrow night.

I can't be less nervous, I think I have to deal with it.
Thank you all for your support. So helpful.
JustDoIt
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JustDoIt
Quote:
On 2012-11-22 19:30, jimvines wrote:
Congrats on the upcoming gig!
It sounds like the only reason you're nervous is because you haven't performed in public that much. After you've done the routines several times for real people, your nervousness will fade because you'll know you can do the routines without dropping, etc.
Best,
Jim

Exactly Jim, never did a paid gig, just 2-3 small shows in front of friends... Have to get use to it a bit I guess.
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 08:36, JustDoIt wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 17:10, themagicguy wrote:

Yes, and I know the table is quite big for this kind of show but as a first table, it does the "standup" in front of 15 persons and the close-up job. In the future, I plan to make a smaller one for close up.

This is just my opinion, but I would ditch the table all together. How many effects do you have that don't require a table?
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1561 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Lose the table. You can't do walkaround with a table.

And 15-20 minutes is a closeup show at the Magic Castle. Do 5-10 minutes MAX for each group. They're not there to see you. Be gracious and don't take over the event.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Show coming (Chritmas Party) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL