The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking to buy a mind blowing new effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
Hey guys, now that I have some extra change in my pocket from restaurant work I'm looking to invest in a new effect that will really impress. Something that fits in my pockets and resets quickly, preferably. I was looking at Flash and Sugar Rush but I want to get something that plays huge every time. Suggestions and experience stories welcome!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I don't know what you're into but I would suggest The Royal Road to Card Magic if you're into cards or Modern Coin Magic if you're into coins. Either one of those books will provide you with 100s of ideas that fit your criteria and will serve you far longer than any new shiny piece of crap from a magic shop.

I would also suggest Tarbel for a much wider education in magic.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2629 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-11-24 15:36, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I don't know what you're into but I would suggest The Royal Road to Card Magic if you're into cards or Modern Coin Magic if you're into coins. Either one of those books will provide you with 100s of ideas that fit your criteria and will serve you far longer than any new shiny piece of crap from a magic shop.

Solid recommendations Christopher.

As a matter of interest, does your working repertoire consist solely of routines from these books - only I don't seem to remember you really mentioning either title before, well not in any great depth.

Of course, I could be wrong; but I'd be interested to know what tricks you are specifically using from them?
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of puggo
A few ideas:

How about something that can be added to range of effects e.g. Chris Congreave's 'The Light' gets excellent reactions all the time as a card routine finale. Kennedy Mystery Box, Okito Box, Destination box, TT, perhaps a TKO2, a Harry Robson instant reset wallet etc.
Why not invest in a David Williamson book or DVD, perhaps Paul Green's 'In the trenches' etc. - chock full of workers!

I am not a full time restaurant guy but do work a fair bit and I don't use any 'single trick' items... actually, I have realised that this is not quite true. I use one single item which fits the 'single effect' requirement - Jamie D Grant's Industrial Revelation. This hunk of steel is an 'A list' worker for me. Oh, I also have Coinvexed 2 which I use occasionally.

Charlie
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-24 15:44, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:

Solid recommendations Christopher.

As a matter of interest, does your working repertoire consist solely of routines from these books - only I don't seem to remember you really mentioning either title before, well not in any great depth.

Of course, I could be wrong; but I'd be interested to know what tricks you are specifically using from them?

A lot of my early education was from these books. They have built the structure and were and still are the foundation to what I perform today. Just about all of my coin material comes right out of Bobo. My early work with cards came from both Royal Road and Card College. I love Tarbell! A few bits in my stand up show derive from those pages. You can create the best tricks from the oldest books! Smile

Obviously, I do other things that do not come from those pages, but I always recommend to someone who is wanting a new MIND BLOWING EFFECT to go and read something vs. hitting up T11 or E! for the latest "newest" thing. Plus, most of those are found in the titles I mentioned anyway, but sold off as one trick ponies. Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1345 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I have been chasing after the latest Mind Blowing effect now for 30 years..
I am tired, and I am broke.

However I keep on doing the same old, tired, classics...that is where I find peace.
When will I learn?

Good luck Sauce.
btw...Flash and Sugar Rush are both fantastic.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1345 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Chop cup.
Mystery Box (Kennedy).
Extreme Burn.
Sponge Balls.

theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
Thanks guys, I do have Royal Road and Bobo's, just looking for something to add to my arsenal. I recently added Jiggernaut which has been a big hit, and I love it because it s a different take on a classic. I guess I was just seeing what other people got huge reactions from, not necessarily brand new.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2895 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Diamond Jim Tyler's "Collateral" IMO...it's a killer
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Professr W. You gave the perfect answer then caved in your next post Smile
Lakewood, Ohio
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Mule Henderson
Here's an idea... Think of something you wish to accomplish, then come up with a way to achieve it. After that, try researching your idea and see what you come up with. You might have an original thought.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-25 00:59, Mule Henderson wrote:
Here's an idea... Think of something you wish to accomplish, then come up with a way to achieve it. After that, try researching your idea and see what you come up with. You might have an original thought.

Awesome!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-11-24 15:01, theamazingsauce wrote:
Hey guys, now that I have some extra change in my pocket from restaurant work I'm looking to invest in a new effect that will really impress. Something that fits in my pockets and resets quickly, preferably. I was looking at Flash and Sugar Rush but I want to get something that plays huge every time. Suggestions and experience stories welcome!

I don't have either of those effects, but they're on my christmas list!

I've heard great things about ignition and industrial revelation (also on my christmas list).

the cooler is definitely something to consider if you have a good effect in mind that uses a deck switch.

the TKO 2.0 is great for cards and coins... not really a mind blowing effect in itself, but a very useful utility item that can be used to make a lot of your effects better and cleaner.

the best effects that I do are probably: invisible deck, micro chop cup, and stand up monte. (+ my knock off quantum bender works great... are we allowed to recommend these on the Café now that you can't get the original ones anyways????). also, after the spectator takes the face down card from the invisible deck, I put the rest of the cards back in the case, put the deck away... then when the spectator gives me back the card, I take out the vanishing deck gimmick and then tell them that I'll make their card disappear... but I tell them that the only way to do that is to make the whole deck disappear. get the white version, not the cheap black version. I also bring out my ID in the white card case holder thing, so all I have to do is the deck switch... and there's never any heat on it because they think the effect is over after their selected card is face down. and as good as the reactions are from the ID, the reactions are even better when the deck itself vanishes.

if you've got lots of money, multi-dimensional from promystic seems to be one of the best close up mentalism effects out there... (i hope to get one at some point, but they're like $500 or something).

I would also recommend tommy wonder's dvd set: visions of wonder... the way that he presents and performs a lot of his effects are certainly mind blowing. I plan on learning his ambitious card routine with a kennedy mystery box ending in the near future.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Albert Goshman said that "You are the magic." A great presentation, IMO, wil trump a "mind blowing effect" every time"
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1416 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
You can be entertaining with a TT, a deck of ungimmicked cards, a few coins and a few pieces of rope. Mind blowing effects are 'nice' but first learn the basics. Christopher stated it very clearly. You start with Tarbell, Royal Road to Card Bagic and Bobo and you can't go wrong. The material in these books will last for a lifetime of performances.

Many of us have drawers full of the latest 'Mind Blowing Effects' gathering dust. The ad writers are very magical and have made a fortune on our gullibility. I have commercial effects which work well for me but I rely on the basics. Presentation is key. You can have an ebook with a great effect that if presented properly will become a signature reputation maker for you. Or... you can purchase a five to ten thousand dollar effect, and unless you present it properly, will simply flop on stage. Caveat emptor.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1345 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2012-11-24 23:52, j100taylor wrote:
Professr W. You gave the perfect answer then caved in your next post Smile

Yeah, I know...
I felt kinda bad for not answering his question. Smile

Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I want MDX4 by Ellusionist, so you might check it out. But you don't NEED this new stuff, the old stuff works just as well, just as entertaining and amazing when performed right, but, you know, I'm sure that was said about all the old stuff when it was new too. the old stuff is tried and true, but the new stuff is just so cool, I guess what I'm trying to say is you're taking a chance when you buy something new, not so much with the classics, that's why a lot of working professionals stick to the basics and the classics, they realize that what they need is the classics, they're known to be good, everything new is a just a chance.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Mind blowing...Very Extreme!
Salvano's "Silk Hanks from a paper tube".
show a piece of 8.5 x 11 paper rolled into tube
tap it on your hand and produce 3 silk hanks from the
empty paper tube.
This is a truly visual stunner, basically costs nothing to make
just a few silks, and construction paper.

Better than any of this new instant magic being offered today.
99% of the new stuff is junk imho.

Another winner is Pete Biro's "Nutty Surprise".
It's a Beautiful Work of Art.

Then there is Wayne H. "Thread" this one just freaks people out.
Steven Spills "Needles" is another.

Marion Boykins "Crimp Change" and "Grandpa's Coin 2"

Make sure to work on your presentations.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Octopus Sun I do like how you go from pulling silks from a tube to pulling thread from your eye in just a few short lines of text haha.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:

Now that, was very good advice! Tarbel's Course in Magic books are awesome! Currently, I am using Tarbel's framework for creating a magic show to put together a close up show. The other reading suggestions are excellent too! I perform a few tricks from RRTCM and use many of the sleight of hand moves in my coin trick routines from MCM.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking to buy a mind blowing new effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL