The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking to buy a mind blowing new effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2620 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-11-25 12:02, Michael Bilkis wrote:
Albert Goshman said that "You are the magic." A great presentation, IMO, wil trump a "mind blowing effect" every time"

Someone talking sense!
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Quote:
Here's an idea... Think of something you wish to accomplish, then come up with a way to achieve it. After that, try researching your idea and see what you come up with. You might have an original thought.

This is how I've come up with about 50% of the material I'm doing now. My most recent accomplishment is a version of Larry Jenning's Mystery Card where the mystery card can be a different color back and be signed by a spectator, it's completely impromptu and uses no gaffs or duplicates, can be done with borrowed decks with no setup, all while maintaining most of the original structure of the trick. I went through about 5 versions before I settled on my current method, but the whole thing started with a desire to have a different color back for the mystery card. Another routine I came up with was born simply from wanting to a trick using a double blank deck and the spectator's signature, and that's another staple of my table hopping set. It may take a while, but this is definately a worthwhile thing to do, and can help you expand your talents as a magician and not just adding another trick to your list.

I myself tend to stay away from the heavily marketed tricks, because a number of those are easily looked up on youtube and because I would rather be doing something that either no one, or at least very few are doing. Best source for that kind of stuff is books, not your online magic shop. There are a few gimmicks that I consider worthwhile, but all of those gimmicks either look like ordinary objects or they aren't visible to the spectator, I hate anything with a "prop" look to it. (with the exception being the linking rings and the cups and balls)

That of course is just me, but I think it's better to spend your money on a great book, than a lame gaff.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Wow! I think this is crazy, the guy said he had extra cash from working a gig, and was looking for a strong hard hitting effect. and everyone here just said stick with the basics. I see that he is a new user with only 55 posts but we should not assume he is new to magic.

Regurgitating answers irrelevant to the question is a rather ignorant thing to do to a fellow magician. He asked what were some effects that play huge for his restaurant gig. He did not ask what is a book I can learn magic from. If you are going to suggest a book at least have the courtesy to point out 1 or two effects in that book that should be looked into. Not giving him suggestions is like like inviting someone over to my house for dinner, and not giving them my address, only telling them I live in Milwaukee. After he said he had Bobo and royal road, you tell him to create his own effects or it’s all about presentation, way to beat around the bush. Your recommendations don’t have the be the newest hyped item on the market. He didn’t ask for that, he asked for a hard hitting effect.
so back to the OP's question-
Look into a Lippincott box, or some other borrowed ring magic. (it’s a classic, and there are tons of work on this subject, and its very strong)
also Dan Harlin’s Bill effect called Stash has amazing reviews, and is priced nicely. (newer)
Also, if you are looking to add something extra to a couple of your current routines You can invest in something like pure smoke, but please don’t use it for every effect, the smoke kills the effect when it is used too much, its just an added touch that could allow an effect to play a little bit bigger.
I hope this helps.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
Thanks a lot Andy, I really appreciate it.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Quote:
On 2012-11-24 15:36, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I don't know what you're into but I would suggest The Royal Road to Card Magic if you're into cards or Modern Coin Magic if you're into coins. Either one of those books will provide you with 100s of ideas that fit your criteria and will serve you far longer than any new shiny piece of crap from a magic shop.

I would also suggest Tarbel for a much wider education in magic.

Good call Christopher. I can remember a magic convention that Joe Stevens threw here in Wichita several years ago. Someone asked Roger Klause what book he recommended as a starter in card magic during one of his lectures. He immediately responded with Royal Road to Card Magic. That is enough said for me.

Bob Phillips
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Nick Einhorns nest of Wallets is great for what you are describing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking to buy a mind blowing new effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL