The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Segue patter between tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1383 Posts

Profile of edshern
Hi all,
I like to perform pocket tricks, like Tenyo & others like those to friends.
I'm getting better at telling/creating a story to use while showing a trick.
What I need some help with is the segue patter between tricks.
How do I make the transition from one trick to the next.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have a few thought that come from my magic thinking and hope they will help you.

In my card set I do two effects. The first is a a ambitious card with a story about the first card trick I learnt. Then the following trick is card thru silk which has a story about Harry Houdini. As there both card tricks things flow OK. But to smooth thing over between them I say "so there is the first card trick I learnt as a kid. As kid I read about Harry Houdini". This helps just to link them together.

I do a trick were me and a viewer work together and find the 4 Aces. Which talks about us begin good card partners. Then with the four Aces I do a trick which talks about never trust a street. con This is followed by a coin from purse frame. Then with the coins and two of the Aces I do a coin matrix. All of this has a street con gambling story to it. 3 individual stories yet the link is the props and overall theme.

Every story should have a clear beginning, clear middle and a clear ending. This can be changed to tell them what your going to tell them, tell them it then tell them what you told them. I start one routine with "to night I'm going to do A trick with a rope, A card trick and a trick with a egg. this is what I call the Staple of modern conjuring" Then each trick has it own story no real links. But at the end I say " thank you for watching the Staple of modern conjuring. It makes the 3 trick a package. I like to point out each effect has it own story so to give a idea of the links between the tricks.

I am going to stop rambling on might add more as time gose. Or if there somthing more you like to know just PM me.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
To have a “true” segue, you need to think about the elements that are similar between the two tricks. One very good method is exactly what YellowCustard decribes above. Do they use the same (or similar) props.

Another good way would be a “build-up”, where you follow one effect with another that is allegedly harder, flashier, uses more bodies, whatever; in this case the props don’t necessarily need to match, because the effort or the type of effect does this for you. I do one set where the first bit uses one person and I control the cards, the second bit involves three people and they also handle the cards, and the third bit involves two people and I don’t touch the cards at all; the only (real) relationship between the effects is that they use cards; I sell the idea that each is a “harder” version of the previous.

Both of these ideas can be done without a lot of talking, and allows the show to “flow” from one effect to another.

If you absolutely MUST use disjointed or disconnected tricks, you may be able to create a theme. This can be just about anything that you can make sound plausible; toys you found in your late uncle’s attic, stuff your mom told you not to play with, souvenirs brought back from China, or even things that were included in your first magic kit. It’s not as clean as a natural segue, but it can be made to work. I’ve used the theme “Stuff I learned from the Boy Scouts” to include rope tricks, silks (neckerchiefs), and coins.

Ultimately, only you can decide the best way to do this. Your patter has to be natural to you, and it has to be believable to the audience. Funny how they’ll believe that you can make a silk change colors, but not that you borrowed it from your grandmother. Study the way you do things, the way you talk, how you handle the props. Something will come to you, seriously!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
182 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
Nothing beats "here, let me show you something else..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Segue patter between tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL