The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need to settle on what to sell on the beach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMaker
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MagicMaker
Next summer here in Cali I will be selling magic tricks on the boardwalk. Since this is my first attempt with magic sales I was looking for suggestions when it comes to tricks for kids. I think my strength will be to sell magic a kid can do and yet provide quality magic items.

So here is what I'm thinking so far:

Knickle to dimes
Professor's nightmare
Hot Rod
Finger Chopper
1.35 trick

Any suggestion other than what is listed? I want to start with five or six tricks at first and if I make a profit I will add more to my sales inventory.

I also want to stay away from cards because they are tiresome?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, you are in the wrong topic for this question, request your post be moved to "Step Right Up" topic that covers all this pitching items.

1st, none of those items are high profit items. 2nd, your spot does not sound great to sell magic items at all. 3rd, if you are tired of card trick, then this type of sale is not for you. As any pitch sales is very tiresome. Repeating the same words and actions, hundreds of times a day is not really what most consider fun.

Sounds more like you should be selling the fuzzy worm thingy.

And do you have a license to pitch on the Boardwalk. I hear California is making everyone get a license to do anything. The state is suffering for revenue.

Next do you have a tent or cover to keep you out of the blazing sun all day, and a sound system.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2478 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Bill's advice is excellent...

Here is mine. Stay far away from anything that will work well for them at your stand and fail when they get it home due to dificulty of moves. A store that sells to tourists can get away with selling exciting sleights, where the pitchman demos it, and shows the buyer the moves and they will be lost or forgotten long before they get home. Then who cares? You will be seeing some tourists, but much the same crowd every day.

A good Svengali pitch will work wonders, and anyone can learn the moves fairly easily. I have never seen an invisible deck pitched, but I feel the same way as I do about the Svengali.

Houdini's makes their bread and butter out of the UFO card. A great effect, though limited whe it is done by itself rather than in a show. Still it is very visual, fairly easy to learn, and makes a reasonable profit. Houdini's has thier version under copyright I think, but if you can get a similar Helicopter Card DVD and thread package, it does well.

Good luck to you. Are you in Santa Monica? Malibu? Redondo?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need to settle on what to sell on the beach (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.63 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL