The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Teaching balloons to young ones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
I have been booked in for 90 minutes of entertainment during the day at a local restaurant/cafe.
The booking is in January so I have plenty of time to prepare.

Seeing as there will only be 10-20 people I thought I could teach them how to make a dog and then let them make there own crazy hat using a taught/pre-made hat base

I have read this: http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/teaching.html#teachchildren and it was very helpful

A few things I learnt; pre-inflate all balloons before the people arrive
Teach a 3 fold dog first
Use 160's for the younger children

is there any other tips for teaching twisting balloons? I expect the children will be aged 5-10

How long do you think it would take to first teach a 3 fold dog, then a hat base, leaving enough time for the kids to add 2 balloons onto there hat base???

I have a maximum 90 minutes, but I would also like to include a magic show (15-20 minutes) and if possible time to make a few good multi balloon creations
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
Wont they be eating??
Marvelous_Mysto
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, Australia
143 Posts

Profile of Marvelous_Mysto
Hi Jake,
May I suggest:
1. Buy some flexible fabric 'containers' to hold the inflated balloons eg spring wire frame laundry hampers - they pack *very* small but will easily hold 20 inflated balloons
2. Leave the balloons under-inflated. I know how much room to leave, if I'm making a dog. When I give that same balloon to a novice, they often run out of room, and burst the balloon.
3. A simple sword ('S-twist' sword) is easy to teach, and could be used as a stepping stone to a 3 fold dog. The only caution is that the younger kids may start sword fights, instead of learning the 3 fold dog! <grin>
4. Pre-make some of your larger creations, and give them away to the kids who have behaved well. Use this 'reward' as an incentive to manage the kids' behaviour.
5. Get an assistant to help with the kids who missed a step, so that you can keep the class moving forward.

I suspect that you will have a lot of fun, but that your aspirations are too high. I think you will fill the 90 minutes, and not have time to do all that you have planned - that's not a bad situation! <grin> However, don't feel bad, if you get to the end of the 90 minutes, and you haven't been able to complete all that you have planned.

Be flexible!
Have FUN!! then the kids will enjoy it too.

Baz
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
Wont the restaurant want the people to leave, so they can fill up more tables with customers, which could also cause blockages in between the tables for waiters, and the like who are serving, while your teaching???

You need to walk your ground, and ask the owner, as I'm sure he would not like everyone bundled up in one corner watching you, its not good in a restaurant to teach ballooning like that,
but yes it can be done at each table you visit, and if you are giving out balloons, and its before there eating, the place will soon fill up with latex, with nowhere for the balloons to sit while there eating Etc, Etc

Theres more I could add, but that's just a start, some good advice above about having some premade, incase it gets to busy, but id rethink doing an actual show, its better to hand out a balloon as there leaving, which also advertises the restaurant as there outside walking off
Garauteed people will ask where there from, and you may get people ring up, asking when your next in the restaurant, which is good for you

Just have a rethink, if its a really busy place, it could really get manic, and doing big creations will be out the window, so you would need to stick with small to mid range balloons like Swords, Fairy Wands, Aliens, Lady Birds, Etc, Etc

Also if you are keeping the tables turning over, its going to go good for you, if people stay longer to watch you than they normal would, or wont leave because your teaching them, he will get less money, and serve less meals at the tables, its not what he wants, and its deffinately not what you want

You want to get booked again, so the more people who get to see you work, the better, also please as you do the tables, say to the customers in a joke way :-
Put a good word in for me will you, as ill get demoted to waiting tables again
or something along those lines
Even say to them :-
I'm not sure when I'm next in, so you'll have to ring up once you get home

ALL this will be good for you, and from this you will also get Birthdays, Weddings, Christenings Etc, Etc,
So make sure you have a sign up stating what you cater for, along with your number, OH and plenty of cards to hand out, either way you will get work a plenty
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
Hi guys... A little misunderstanding thanks to my lack of good comunnication skills

The restaurant/cafe is having a school holiday program, where each day for a week there is different entertianment (cupcake making, circus tricks, magician and ballooning etec...)for the children. The entertainment is out on a deck (called the kids club)
The whole idea is the parents pay $6 for there children to be entertained for 90 mins and then get to enjoy lunch/coffee with there friends without the kids annoying them.

So its not a standard restaurant gig, but it still pays well Smile
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
Still some good advive above, and sorts that out with you being inside Smile
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
I got a email today saying the holiday program was a flop and she has cancelled all the events that were scheduled... So after quite a bit of time put into planning this event, I feel I little bit disappointed that I wont get to teach the class. When I took the gig the restaurant offered a 30% deposit. My mum insisted it wasn't necessary... Thanks mum!
Suz Balloons
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
34 Posts

Profile of Suz Balloons
I am so sorry that your gig was cancelled. It sounded like a great idea to me. I hope you can put your plans to good use somewhere down the road soon!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Majake314: Any thinking etc. in preparation is good for expanding your balloon ideas and skills. Perhaps you could offer your lessons to some other organisation.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Teaching balloons to young ones (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL