The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rsvp presents - More iCandy (our biggest ever release) with Lee Smith & Gary Jones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Hmm, I've never had a RSVP magic product take this long. I ordered with more expensive shipping so it would get here faster.
Cardmagicdavid
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Cardmagicdavid
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 15:52, Blindside785 wrote:
Hmm, I've never had a RSVP magic product take this long. I ordered with more expensive shipping so it would get here faster.

Christmas post usually delays things , I ordered from a magic shop in the UK , it was sent to me 1st class postage on wednesday the 19th still hasn't arrived yet .
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
939 Posts

Profile of andykean
Still waiting in New Zealand too!
But it will be worth it
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I got mine in the US on Monday
timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
120 Posts

Profile of timlic
I’ve managed to watch both volumes of More iCandy. Here are my thoughts…

Volume 1

Arrow – Simple idea, but not something I would use. My reasoning for this is that I, personally, don’t enjoy using my phone in a routine. Even though this isn’t really ‘technology’ based, still not my cup of tea.

The Biddle Trick – A classic, with Lee Smith’s take on it; Which isn’t that different from the original.

Dr. Daley’s Aces – Again, a classic with Gary Jones making it into a two-stage routine.

Slick – Now this, I like. James Brown’s version of the Oil & Water plot. Does require gimmicked cards, but easy to obtain/make yourself.

Kick Right Back Plus – Apparantly an addition to Lee Smith’s former routine. I don’t know of the past one, but this is a nice little routine.

Rover – A card routine where a tiny wind-up car finds the spectator’s card. This is simple, but visual and a nice routine. It will require you to buy a certain prop, but are widely available.

Predicto Plus – Odd backed card plot. Simple, yet effective.

Two Card Transpo – As you expect.

Volume 2

Witchcraft – Arnel Renegado shares his “change water into a flavour” routine. Plenty of warnings on this one, as there should be. Takes some craft work, but would be great for TV. The explanation is from Arnel’s webcam/phone so not the best quality, but you understand the procedure.

POB – I believe this has been given away free, so I won’t review it.

Here & There – Another transpo routine.

Interweave – A flourish with rubber bands. If you like rubber band magic, I’m sure you’ll impress someone.

Repeat Cards to Pocket – Nice little routine. If you don’t do a cards to pocket, you’ll probably use this.

Both volumes have a ‘toolbox’ on which teach sleights such as: Palming, Double Lift, Tilt, Forces, etc.
I must say I was a little surprised/disappointed by this section. Some of the sleights weren’t taught very well and it seemed like Gary and Lee didn’t know what they were meant to be teaching next. There was one where Gary messed up the start of the segment and an obvious edit point wasn’t edited. (He says, “Sorry, I’ll say that again”). Plus, the card spin flourish almost seemed like It was Lee’s first time trying it.

On a side note – Some of the sleights are mashed into the same segment, so you can’t really ‘skip’ to each sleight if needs be.
Let me put it this way. If you’re just beginning in card magic, this project is good for you.

Like I said in my short reviews of each effect – Most are simple, but effective. Lee and Gary are workers. This is their working life. So, if it works for them…

I don’t want to sound negative, but maybe I had higher expectations for this project.
Again, I will say if you’re looking to learn card magic, this is a great starting point!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Very good reveiw and has certainly made me think about WITHCRAFT effect and to be honest the only one I have interest in,but not the greatest craft maker and warnings? mmmm.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Very few people will wind up doing Witchcraft in a real world setting. To be honest although I like Lee and Gary and always gets something practical from them, this feel like a product that was built around them getting the rights to Withcraft and then building a DVD set around it. Not their strongest offering in my opinion and I have lots of RSVP stuff.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
This was my xmas present from the missus so here is what I thought of it.

Volume 1

Arrow, this is of my favorite tricks of the set, I saw Gary do this at his resent lecture at my club and I have been doing it ever since. If you have a phone with you at all times you will posibly do this at every oportunity !

The Biddle Trick, I like Lee's magic and I have his step system, easy and quite a strong trick.

Dr. Daley’s Aces, this is funny !

Slick James Brown, My second favorite trick of the set, not easy to do but I will work on doing this !

Kick Right Back Plus, typicle Lee smith trick, very powerful trick to do !

Rover, This is a very good trick and I found the cars on ebay for a few quid, you need to have some table space to spread the pack of cards out on and not a wet bar which is the surface I work on ha ha !

Predicto Plus, easy to do and quite a strong trick.

Two Card Transpo, another of my favorite tricks on this DVD, I like the way it builds to a very good ending !

Instant Sandwich, This does look like trick photography !

Toolsbox, this is where you will learn the sleights and moves Lee and Gary use, this is very useful, I like this palming section !

Volume 2

Witchcraft, ok you have to do some DIY to make this trick up but the question is, is it worth the trouble, yes it is. I made one up and did this at our xmas magic get together and it was well received. you have to be a little careful when you make this up but it is easy to make. The filming looked like it was filmed on a iphone !

POB, this is a very easy to do card in the box, gary did a different version in his lecture which was better I think.

Here and There, I have not tried this yet but it looks good.

Interweave, I have seen this before but never learned it, a bit nacky to do but it really looks good.

Repeat Cards to Pocket, This is very good, I do a one hand palm for the first card and cut two to the bottom and then do an erdnase for the next two with my other hand as this works better for me. I want one of them wallets that Gary uses on here ha ha !

Toolbox, another toolbox section where more sleights and moves are taught. I can nearly do a action palm for the repeat cards to pocket but I break up the rythum because I am so used to doing an erdnase !

I have to pick fault with the toolbox parts as there are no menues to find the sleights so it is like watching a video and you have to fast forward the disc which is a big flaw !

When I spoke to Gary down the pub after his lecture he was saying to us that he and Lee will be filming iCandy 2 later in 2013, if this is a taster for that DVD then I can not wait.

Happy new year !

Ben
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I got mine today!

I watched the performances and a few explanations. So I can give a few words before I have to head to work.

Arrow is simple and easy, I will still use Rich Aviles's version in his book, has more comedic moments, but this is a great alternative.

Dr. Daley's is great, doesn't have a clear ending, I got something fun from it, I like those moments where they think they caught you. Plenty of those here.

Biddle Trick, there is really nothing new in Lee's presentation, I have a version I use that I made up myself that I like that is somewhat similar.

Slick made it worth it for me, I love the ending, this is the kind of magic I like, goes with the rule of 3.

I love the John Carey bonus, simple 4 ace production using a blank face card, very good opener when going into a 4 ace routine.

Witchcraft is great to see how it works, don't know if I'll use it, only because I'm lazy.

2 card transpo was good, I will be using a phase out of this so I will finally have a 3 phase transpo routine.

I'll have to go it over again when I have more time, I would say this is one of the better DVD releases this year. I still want to get Michael Vincent's new set. There was some useable material here for me, I'm quite picky when it comes to using new material.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Volume 2

Witchcraft, ok you have to do some DIY to make this trick up but the question is, is it worth the trouble, yes it is. I made one up and did this at our xmas magic get together and it was well received. you have to be a little careful when you make this up but it is easy to make. The filming looked like it was filmed on a iphone !

The filming looked like it was filmed on a iphone ! well that's not cool to me ,why on earth has it been fimed on a mobile phone instead of a camera, if you are paying for instruction surly it should be a filmed at the best possible visual image,i for one learn better from watching rather then written instruction .mmm think I am defo gonna pass on this one.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
'Fire Starter',

There are three routines on this project that we could easily have released as stand-alone single DVD projects (Rover and Slick being the others). Arnel Renegado is based across the world from us and if you knew how Witchcraft2 worked, then you'd understand that we could only let Arnel explain the method and construction. With this effect, that was a trade off that I was willing to accept as it's such a great effect and method. As someone else pointed out above, "Takes some craft work, but would be great for TV. The explanation is from Arnel’s webcam/phone so not the best quality, but you understand the procedure", so you can clearly understand what is what.

At rsvpmagic we pride ourselves on the quality, not only of the magic that we produce, but also the technical quality of our video work. As stated above, with Witchcraft2 that wasn't possible, but the effect was so strong that we wanted to include it on the project. It's the only time we've ever done this, but that's how highly I think of Arnel's effect and method. I could of course use the "It was a deliberate no frills demo on purpose" excuse, that I only read from some one yesterday on Latest and Greatest about their latest release. In those cases the truth of the matter is that they've probably got a crappy camera and can't be bothered to make the effort.

On another note, thank you all for your kind PMs and emails about this and other recent rsvp releases over the last year and here's to a great 2013 to you all! Thanks again for your custom and support.

Best,
Russ

PS - We currently have a 15% store-wide sale running until midnight (GMT) tonight as way of thanks.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Sorry Russ but I must disagree and this if from someone who has MANY RSVP projects including this one.
The fact that magic producers and consumers have accepted the single trick DVD does not make it right. I feel that very few tricks are worth the value of a single trick DVD and none on this project. I have however very much enjoyed Lee's, Gary's James's and John's DVD sets.
I have no problem with film quality on the Witchcraft2 and accepted the "disclaimer" on the DVD as to why the creators "home movie" had to be used. It is explained in great detail and someone who wanted to make up the trick could do so as detailed in previous comments. However it is quite impractical out of of a youtube or magic club setting and its inclusion in the trailor as the "keynote" effect of the sort that would normally done by the people perfoming on the DVD is little misleading and/or excellent marketing.
I look forward to future RSVP projects.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Xcath1,

I think you misunderstand me. I agree with you about a lot of one-trick DVDs. At rsvp we have deliberately focused on the multi-trick DVD for the reason that we want to give our customers real value for money, as well as great magic. That's not to say all one-trick DVDs are not good, many are great and come with specially designed props and gaffs that make it a standalone project for a reason. Some however are not so good, come with no props and are simply a way of making a product with as little effort as possible. I personally think our customers deserve better than that.

Best,
Russ
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
939 Posts

Profile of andykean
Still waiting in New Zealand !
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
I have only volume 2, but must say I am very disappointed with it. Like Xcath1, I have many RSVP products and have been impressed with all of them -- until this one. Witchcraft2 was clearly the star of the show with a significant percentage of the running time devoted to it. Once I got done with the explanation, I couldn't help but think "who was this designed for?"

My interest in Witchcraft2 was premised in large part on its "organic" nature. It appeared to be something you could do in casual settings with no apparent set up or perhaps as a closer in a walk around gig. Based upon the methodology, neither would be practical. The gimmick, which involves a not insubstantial arts and craft projects requiring some objects you are highly unlikely to have around your house and may be difficult to come by, is not something you could have on during a walk around gig. And I don't see how you could safely carry it on your person during a gig and then casually slip it on near the end of your routine. This is something you will likely need to set up out of the presence of your spectators, perform the trick, and then excuse yourself to take off outside the presence of your spectators. The reset would also be cumbersome, requiring you to slip away to a private location where you must have other supplies ready.

Another significant problem is that the effect requires you to alter the water bottle in such a way that your spectator, if they continue drinking from the bottle, will almost certainly realize how the effect was accomplished. And once they realize this, they will probably not be happy with you. I can't imagine a positive response once they notice the alteration you have made in their bottle. Accordingly, to cover your tracks, you will need to take the bottle from them after they've taken a sip (and there is a significant risk they will discover the methodology even here) and dispose of it. Bottom line -- this is simply an impractical effect for casual or walk around settings.

It could be done in a stand-up show, for television, or for YouTube. But is this really the effect you would want to perform in those situations? Most would probably suspect a gimmicked bottle, and although they would be wrong (the bottle is not gimmicked) their suspicions would greatly diminish the impact of the effect.

I agree the method is very clever and unusual, but I think the vast majority of magicians will find it highly impractical, and it will very rarely, if ever, be performed.

There is a rubber band flourish that is pretty cool and not too difficult to learn. It's probably not something I'm ever going to use, though, as rubber band flourishing doesn't really fit into my act. Others may find a place for it.

The remaining effects on the disk are card tricks that are ok, but nothing spectacular. The best, in my opinion, is "Repeat cards to pocket," which is pretty flashy. But it does involve several moves that will intimidate most magicians without substantial performing experience. The "Toolbox" section is a sloppily edited collection of standard moves most will already know. Overall, the non-Witchcraft sections do not justify the cost of this DVD.

I was really excited about this DVD and hate to have to write my first negative review of an RSVP product. But that's what these boards are about -- providing the good with the bad so people can make informed decisions. I'm sure there will be some that will love this set, but at least with regard to volume 2, I can't count myself among them.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Very good first reveiw and feel like I have been put straight on a few things concerning Witchcraft 2,sure it is flashy but I thought it may only be good for stage work and I walkabout table hopping,so good to know,all the best.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Witchcaft is not a trick for walkabout magician because its method is not a instant reset but hou can make up more than one gimmick, I have 4 of them and carry them in my close up case. I put a cork on the gimmick and carry it in my pocket with no problems I think its worth going to the trouble to make it up as I get screams !

The toolbox has no munues but there is loads of sleights covered and now I have them all in one place and I can now do the action palm !

Good dvds all round but I can see why some people will not like Witchcraft as you have to make up tbe gimmick with stuff you won't have in the house but if you do go to the trouble in making up this it is clever.

Favorite tricks are Arrow, 2card transpo, Slick, Instant sandwich and Repaet cards to pockets.

Ben
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Benmagic1,

Does your day job put you in a position to have ready access to and to safely dispose of the materials needed for Witchcraft? Mine does and I know it is a clever effect but not sure if I will get to it.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2013-01-04 13:48, Xcath1 wrote:
Benmagic1,

Does your day job put you in a position to have ready access to and to safely dispose of the materials needed for Witchcraft? Mine does and I know it is a clever effect but not sure if I will get to it.

No I got the necessary bits from ebay and you can buy them on Amazon as well ! I haven't had to dispose of them at the moment and I do not reckon they will break. I am going to combine a routine with Witchcraft and Skycap at sometime soon which will be a stunner of a trick.

Ben
realghost
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of realghost
Iv gt the dvds they are awsome both volumes of more I candy the tricks I'm using and performing are rover the card buggy effect and 2 effects using a chosen card a box and 2 court cards and 3 other effects cant remember there names lol as for whitch craft its nt an effect ill use great method but incredibly awkward to make all in all great dvd project iv spent this year great effects worth the money specially the car effect
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rsvp presents - More iCandy (our biggest ever release) with Lee Smith & Gary Jones (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL