We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Good uses of Inviso-Torch? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Oli
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Oli
Just vamped up my Inviso-Torch with a new flint system, after not using it for a while. Does anyone have any good suggestions for effects with it? Obviously not giving too much away!

Oli
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
If someone asks you for a light (a cig) you could do that. I produce fans of cards, or coins. I have no hair on my fingers though lol.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Steveblackwell
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Steveblackwell
I'd say handing out your business card using the torch is good and memorable.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Have an object in your hand, fire the InvisoTorch and vanish the item by the method of your choice. As I recall Jim has video on vanishing a bottle this way.

And the reverse works well too, start with "nothing in your hands", and fire the inviso torch and suddenly have something appear (also by the method of your choice) in your hand.

The unexpected appearance of a plume of fire gives you plenty of distraction and misdirection to do just about anything that benefits from midirection and visual surprise.

And believe me, people will (no matter how far away) step back when the fire appears. So with them moving away, you have all the time you need to do some magic.

BroDavid

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
I use it as an attention getter. When doing walk around at a ren fair that is how I assemble a crowd. That way, if it takes a couple of stikes to ignite, then no one sees it till it is lit but every body sees it when I start my dialog.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Telemus is that the inviso torch on your avatar? I want to get this but looking for a demo of some sort.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Hoe good is this gimmick and how durable and limitations please PM so not to reveal to much.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Actually I was going to ask Bro David what he's using in his avatar.

I just won the Inviso-Torch on eBay from Jim pace, it was a steal (gotta love it, he must hate me though !), so I'm looking forward to comparing this with the Igniter, which I acquired the exact same way. In fact, I just won yet a 3rd item from him, the flaming comic book gimmick - should be verrry interesting when I receive these items.
(Almost forgot - I also got Hot Leads, so that's 4 items now I've gotten, all for roughly half price, via Jim's eBay store. Must be a well kept secret or something..)
Heh.. I must sound like a pyromaniac, but it's hard to ignore a great deal when I see one !
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Mystician
Well you pretty much have an idea on how I am so when you get them could you please drop me a line and let me know which route I should go with.
magical65stang
View Profile
New user
Turlock, CA
73 Posts

Profile of magical65stang
I've had this thing for over a year and never used it. As you can tell I love the idea of having flashes of fire around, but I can't get past the feeling that everyone knows I am trying to light something, even if my hands are empty. I went by Jim's instructions on how to use it, but I just feel like it looks like I'm going to light a cigarette. I thought the idea was to have fire just leap from your palm, but I can't seem to get that.

If anyone could give any advice on how I could improve my handling or give me other ideas of how to use it I would love that. just pm me if it can't be put in here. Thanks again, I would love to put this thing into my routine!
"I'm not a liar, you just don't see the truth."
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 18:55, paisa23 wrote:
Mystician
Well you pretty much have an idea on how I am so when you get them could you please drop me a line and let me know which route I should go with.

You got it.
I haven't received it yet though, I'll let you know. Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of this thing. I'm gonna freak out a few people I think, it should be more impressive than something which just uses flash paper. - Although with enough flash paper, even a finger flint thingy can be impressive.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK I got mine and am working with it a little. has anyone ever been hurt by this. Like it doesn't shut off or something? and also in the demo clips above he doesn't seem to have it the way the directions explain as far as where to A@#%or it. the shirt was buttoned up.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
It may seem counter-intuitive, but just let go of it - the valve will automatically shut when the nozzle end snaps back, and kill the flame.
I guess you could anchor it a couple different places, but so far I've only used the one in the instructions. It might be dangerous to try it up your sleeve, because if it gets stuck when it's time to retract, the flame might not go out. Then you'd probably set your arm on fire !
That'd look pretty stupid.
Smile Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Sorry it took me so long to respond Mysticisn. The fires in my hands in the Avatar are Dave Powell's Omega fire gimmicks.

They serve well for certain situations, and for sustained flames (15-25 seconds) they are great. But the inviso torch is my choice for a lot more spontaneous flames, and gimmick that is gone as quickly as the flame appeared.

I agree that a sleeve is not a very good anchor option for a couple of reasons; first the path from the anchor point to the tip should be straight and unencumbered. And secondly you also need it to retract freely, to extinguish the flame. And lastly, fire close to any fabric is a bad idea.

BroDavid
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
It may seem counter-intuitive, but just let go of it - the valve will automatically shut when the nozzle end snaps back, and kill the flame.

This is close, but actually wrong(just barely).

While the fuel line will be shut off when the thing retracts, it will not snuff out the flame.

To test this, snap it on and then slowly retract... the flame will stay for 5 seconds or so with the fuel line off.

What stops the flame is the quickness that you let go of it, if it snaps back with enough force, the fuel moves faster than the flame can due to wind resistance and it will lose its combustion... so even if the fuel line stays on, the snap will put out the flame and it won't start back up.

This is a fact that many newcommers to the Inviso-Torch misunderstand and that is the reason that they usually get burnt or have it retract still with a flame.

It is the "snap" and quickness of the retraction that puts it out, not the fact that the valve shuts when its retracted.

So make sure you always release it with a good snap and good tension on the tube.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok sounds like great advice. Thanks a lot . also if there are no needle nose pliers around what else could be used to adjust the gimmick. and is it really needed I would hate to damage it.

Update:

OK ive been messing with it and I still havent adjusted the nozzle but any way what is considered a good snap I mean has any one ever pulled it of the clips or has anyone ever broken it?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Not too hard, but enough so that it actually snap retracts back and doesn't just fall down your side.

It should make a bee line for your jacket, it shouldn't "swoop" down.

What I've found about the nozzle, is to tighten it up all the way first.

4 turns will detach the nozzle completed, 3 turns is pretty loose.

So I tighten it up all the way and then give 2 full turns open, and it stays solid and lets out a huge jet.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK now that we are playing with this what are good effects besides productions?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have used mine at outdoor events, simpy to attract attention so that I can easily get a small crowd interested, and people moving over to see what "that" was all about, and then I can start my routine.

Beofre I got my first Inviso torch, I used to use a little electronic shooter that had to be primed with flash cotton, and then flash paper. So if I didn't start drawing a crowd on the first two shots (I used two of them), then I had to go aside and reload them. And then once I shot them off, there was always the issue of having to get rid of them.

But now that I have two Phoenix's as well as my original Inviso Torch, I don't have to worry about those kind of issues.

BroDavid
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Good uses of Inviso-Torch? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL