The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What tricks do you have on your Christmas List? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What tricks are you planning to purchase for yourself this year on Christmas?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I want it all dynamike...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I don't blame you.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
This is why so many Magician don't make six figures.

"If You Treat It Like a Hobby It Will Pay You Like a Hobby."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yea, you are right Kevin. I did cut back purchasing as much as I used to throughout the year.
..."If You Treat It Like a Collector It Will Pay You Like a Collector".
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 23:46, Dynamike wrote:
Yea, you are right Kevin. I did cut back purchasing as much as I used to throughout the year.

I dunno a lot I thought was worth a lot isn't when you die and your family sells it at auction your lucky to get half.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Don't make your family dispose of your stuff! Start getting it into the hands of people who will appreciate it and use it before you link the rings one last time.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 01:57, Kevinr wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 23:46, Dynamike wrote:

I dunno a lot I thought was worth a lot isn't when you die and your family sells it at auction your lucky to get half.

Then that's where you should be buying your stuff to begin with! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
When magic becomes a job it isn't as fun anymore.
I do magic shows as a part time buisness.i love to collect.
and I devote my 80,000 a year job with benifits 401 and insurance
to keep the wife happy.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
To be quite honest I don't want any tricks this year. The money I planned on spending for tricks is going into improving the shows. I guess that is what I get for reading a book on designing an act.

George
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I'd like to get something from Chance Wolf. On my to do list. OK, I don't have a list, but if I did..
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I posted my wish list earlier. Smile

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 19:39, bowers wrote:
When magic becomes a job it isn't as fun anymore.
I do magic shows as a part time buisness.i love to collect.
and I devote my 80,000 a year job with benifits 401 and insurance
to keep the wife happy.

I think that's and an honest statement. You have another job maybe 80k a year and magic is more of a fun hobby/part-time job. Which is exactly my point before. Treat it like a hobby and it will pay like a hobby. There is NOTHING wrong with that. However, for those that make magic as a career that's a different story.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have a spare room full of rarely used tricks that I save for big jobs during the holiday season. I do not have a day job, so I gotta perform at my best all the time.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
JoeSmitha
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of JoeSmitha
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 23:39, Kevinr wrote:

So they should be boring and keep doing the magic coloring book? I'm sure many kids magicians around town are pulling this magic trick out of their inventory every weekend. How embarrassing is it to do the magic coloring book routine when the audience has seen it by last clown/magician in the recent past, and you're only doing that to save yourself money. Where is the professionalism in that? You should be updating yourself and being creative.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
The only trick I want is the one the woman in the park can give me.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Steven
That service is not legal in this country. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-12-01 01:42, JoeSmitha wrote:
Quote:

So they should be boring and keep doing the magic coloring book? I'm sure many kids magicians around town are pulling this magic trick out of their inventory every weekend. How embarrassing is it to do the magic coloring book routine when the audience has seen it by last clown/magician in the recent past, and you're only doing that to save yourself money. Where is the professionalism in that? You should be updating yourself and being creative.

Your wrong! most famous or full-time magicians. Do NOT pull out a new magic trick every weekend. Regarding the magic coloring book (which I don't use.) what you fail also to realize is most kids do NOT see a magic show every week. In fact 90 percent of kids at birthday parties when you perform it will probably be there first or only second time see magic show.

Buying more effects than you could ever use and just filling your garage always in search of the one effect that you "think" is finally gonna get you what you have been missing doesn't work. My policy currently is if it has a value over $10 (because it must be worth my time packaging it and shipping it) and is not education material (book or dvd only) and I don't use it in 24 months or less I attempt to sell it. You might have a different view. That's fine.

Lets look at your view on repetitive times using the same magic effects at shows. In the world of entertainment many people use the same stuff over and over. I would even goes as far as to say they ARE the most successful. Yes, you heard me correctly.

Some of the biggest bands in the world Rolling Stones or U2 for example what do folks come to hear? You guessed the old ones they have heard over and over.

Do you have kids? If you do I am sure you have seen your children watch that same exact episode or movie over and over and over again until its driving you crazy and you could act out the entire movie for your kids yourself.

Repetition is the key to success my friend.

Silly Billy and some of the biggest kids show entertainers have 90 percent of the same exact show and only every so often change something. In your view this might be crazy. This is part of there success!

The part time guys with 30k-50k in magic and junk they never will use sitting in the basement or garage with wife's constantly ****ed off at them when a new brown box gets delivered at the front door never go anywhere for this and several other reasons. Again, nothing wrong with this and they actually enjoy spending all there money on magic looking at it and then just like knowing they own it and its in there garage. They just want to do 1-2 shows a week and are happy with that. This is perfectly fine. However, this is not the key to success and for them that doesn't matter it's just a hobby and they are happy getting paid like a hobby doing something they loved as a child.
JoeSmitha
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of JoeSmitha
Quote:
On 2012-12-01 13:34, Kevinr wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-01 01:42, JoeSmitha wrote:
Quote:

Your wrong! most famous or full-time magicians. Do NOT pull out a new magic trick every weekend. Regarding the magic coloring book (which I don't use.) what you fail also to realize is most kids do NOT see a magic show every week. In fact 90 percent of kids at birthday parties when you perform it will probably be there first or only second time see magic show.

Buying more effects than you could ever use and just filling your garage always in search of the one effect that you "think" is finally gonna get you what you have been missing doesn't work. My policy currently is if it has a value over $10 (because it must be worth my time packaging it and shipping it) and is not education material (book or dvd only) and I don't use it in 24 months or less I attempt to sell it. You might have a different view. That's fine.

Lets look at your view on repetitive times using the same magic effects at shows. In the world of entertainment many people use the same stuff over and over. I would even goes as far as to say they ARE the most successful. Yes, you heard me correctly.

Some of the biggest bands in the world Rolling Stones or U2 for example what do folks come to hear? You guessed the old ones they have heard over and over.

Do you have kids? If you do I am sure you have seen your children watch that same exact episode or movie over and over and over again until its driving you crazy and you could act out the entire movie for your kids yourself.

Repetition is the key to success my friend.

Silly Billy and some of the biggest kids show entertainers have 90 percent of the same exact show and only every so often change something. In your view this might be crazy. This is part of there success!

The part time guys with 30k-50k in magic and junk they never will use sitting in the basement or garage with wife's constantly ****ed off at them when a new brown box gets delivered at the front door never go anywhere for this and several other reasons. Again, nothing wrong with this and they actually enjoy spending all there money on magic looking at it and then just like knowing they own it and its in there garage. They just want to do 1-2 shows a week and are happy with that. This is perfectly fine. However, this is not the key to success and for them that doesn't matter it's just a hobby and they are happy getting paid like a hobby doing something they loved as a child.

Where do I begin? Here, who are you to say what is success? You're measuring success based on getting a lot of shows or money. It could be said the guy with the garage of magic tricks has seen success because he has more magic tricks than the magician who has only a few.

If you are a full time magician, you will need to EVENTUALLY rely on repeat bookings to get more income - there aren't always enough new unsuspecting customers you can get. Repeat customers aren't going to want to watch the same show, especially if they've seen it just last year. Remember, the parents (adults) are the ones paying, not the kids, they want something new - that's why a lot of movies in houses sit on shelves collecting dust, because it's already been seen. Also, what about the many toys kids stop playing with because they get bored doing the same stuff with it, they want a new toy to be entertained. Why do you think McDonalds comes out with new toys for their happy meals, by your logic, they should keep putting out the same toys. Let's see how many parents buy happy meals after that. Also, do you even know how many songs U2 has? What if Michael Jackson only had one song, because repetition is the key to success according to you. Why are there sequels to movies, because we need new shows because the old ones got too repetitious for viewers.

Also, I think it's funny that a lot of kids magicians show some of their tricks in their promo videos. It's like, "Okay, I've seen what you do and what you have in your video, so why do I need to hire you?" You've just given it away for free when you do this.

Also, I don't know why everyone wants to keep drawing a similarity of performing music to performing kids magic, they are entirely different. You can close your eyes or enjoy music while occupying your eyes elsewhere, you can't with magic and that's why it's always been on the lower rung in the entertainment industry - music is more versatile and they are both different. You can only enjoy magic if you have the time to watch, in music you can multi-task. Also, as much as some people like Zucchini and Silly Billy try, you can't really be a world 'star' in kids magic, because what you're doing is basic acting coupled with tricks anyone can learn in a few minutes. Now, singing, that requires years and years to get high quality. But, over and over again, these people like Silly Billy and Zucchini, they spend 10 minutes or more on a red hanky with all their boring talking and walking around stage, they think this somehow makes them good to go as long as possible with a small prop. Ummm... if I paid $300 and they spent 10 minutes out of 40 with only a red hanky, my face would be covered in red too. Silly Billy is a salesman/kids magician, it is the sales side of getting his name on online magic dealers and selling kids magic 101 books to novices that got him any attention. If there are 40 silent people in a room, and one of them shouts constantly and loudly, of course everyone is going to look at them, it doesn't really mean they deserve the attention.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Can we get back to "What tricks do you have on your Christmas List?"???
Hopefully it is something you personally enjoy as much as the kids do.
That is all that really matters no matter what level of performer you are.
Now go spoil yourself and get something fresh and new or old as the hills!

Merry Christmas from Wolfs Magic!! Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What tricks do you have on your Christmas List? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL