The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Mal Cross (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
91 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
I recently purchased a book titled "Street People" by Janet Beller, from the used bookstore I manage. It has great pictures and brief essays on some of the street people "beggars and buskers, peddlers and poets, shopping- bag ladies and rebels with a cause" says the intro. The reason I mention it here is that there's a magician briefly featured, Mal Cross. This isn't someone I've ever heard of, but from the picture alone he looks great. He's wearing a silk like pirate bandanna with a thick goatee and curled mustache, from the looks of things doing a rope trick. Any street performers from New York ever heard of him? Any info would be appreciated. what kind of act did he do? Is he still around? Any stories?
Thanks

p.s. The book also features George Price, a pitch man mentioned in Cellini's book, and Jim Moore, the photographer of Sheridan's Street Magic book. Definately worth a look at.
Dolphin
View Profile
Regular user
Slovenia
171 Posts

Profile of Dolphin
Try this link to learn more on Mal Cross
http://www.jewsinmagic.org/magicians.asp?ID=97
Have a nice day
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Although I don't know Mal personally, I do know that he's still performing on a regular basis.However,if I'm not mistaken he's currently doing more private work than street magic.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
lair
View Profile
New user
Michael P. Lair
43 Posts

Profile of lair
I know this is a post almost 2 years later, but I was just doing a search in the Café, and did one on Mal Cross. I saw him a few times in NYC in the late 70s/ early 80s! I didn't know him personally, just saw him a few times performing on the streets while on visits to NYC to see Broadway shows, visit Tannen's, eat good pastrami, etc. I tell you what really sticks with me is that he looked very magical...crowds gathered just to see what he was "about"! I can hear him saying over and over "I can control water...I can control water!" Mal would then make water come and go between paper cups, bottles, etc. I had no idea how he accomplished it...if his water routine is ever published...buy it! I would definitely like to buy it...done up close on the streets of NYC! I would like to see a DVD of Mal's magic created some day...would be awesome! I also had the pleasure of seeing Jeff Sheridan work the streets and at Mostly Magic nightclub in the Village. Jeff Sheridan's magic will blow you away! I had no idea how he did any of it...he's a true genius! Mal Cross and Jeff Sheridan are the two best street performers I have ever witnessed. One last detail: I remember one piece where Jeff Sheridan walked in with a flat folded chess board under his arm, and then, all of a sudden, all chess pieces appeared on the board when unfolded! Then, he would knock the pieces on the floor...no clue!!! Jeff's a genius...ask any NYC magician! I am glad I had a chance to see these two artists "live"!
Michael Lair
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
91 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Thanks guys

I'd forgotten about this post completely(it was three years ago) but I really appreciate the responses. I've always loved that photo of him in flamboyant theatrical garb. Just looking at that photo, you knew he would be a great magician.

Thanks Michael for the Sheridan stories. I've been to NY City twice, and both times I made a point of visiting the statue he used to perfrom at. His dvd's are good, but man, what it must have been like to see him live!

thanks again guys.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Mal lived in LA for a few years in the early 80s & we lived about three blocks apart and used to hang out a lot/Hollywood Magic, the Castle, etc.
I haven't seen him in ages but understand he does quite well now as a "society magician".
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Mal Cross (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL