The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » East Coast to West Coast and back in 48 hours (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Here's an excerpt of my most recent blog entry about my trip between coasts to perform earlier this week. The blog is just meant to give people who are curious what it's like to be a national self employed entertainer.

Read the full blog post with photos here: http://tmblr.co/ZNNs-xYICfFY

My Life in Magic: http://www.bmmagic.tumblr.com

"I woke up Monday morning at 4:30 am to get to the airport. Well, I say I woke up. What I really mean is I got out of bed. I slept not a minute all night. My travel anxiety is pretty bad usually. I don’t stress at all once I’m traveling, but I do worry constantly leading up to the travel date until it gets started.

Made it to security around 5:30 and was not at all surprised to discover a 4 mile long line (PHOTO 2), and that’s pretty much how I like to start my day. TSA security screening at 5:30 in the morning. Either that or a swift punch to the crotch. Both are better than coffee.

I shouldn’t complain about TSA. I shouldn’t… but I will. The instant-cancer full body scan doesn’t bother me, but this does: they take my belt. I’m a tall, skinny dude. My belt is not decorative; it serves a purpose. It holds up my pants! They take my belt, and then say, “Step in here and put your hands over your head. Sir, both hands. Sir, please pull up your pants. Sir, I said both hands over your head.” MAKE UP YOUR MIND! And do it quick, because I’m the one mooning the airport right now.

..."

magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
With all due respect. It seems typical for any working performer.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
It may be, but it's fun to read it!

(I liked the waffle!)

B
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Curtis: It is typical for a touring performer. But that details of that life are largely unknown to those who don't live it. The point of a blog is not innovation. Just personal experiences and perspectives shared with those who are interested.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

I would wager that the majority of the Café's 50,000+ members are not touring performers. They might be curious to read about the day-to-day details of what that life is like.

I have documentaries from my favorite bands on tour, backstage and in between shows. I love watching that. It's probably typical for any famous touring band, but that's not my life and it's fun to have a glimpse into it.

That's all Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm with you, I left San Diego this morning and just arrived in Miami, will do my 45 minute show tomorrow at a school and be back in Las Vegas by evening. Another day in the life of a national entertainer. Nearly 7000 mile this week and it's not even the weekend. Thanks Brian.

(Oddly enough I had a last minute call for Anchorage, Alaska right from Miami, now that's some routing. Couldn't get it to work with connections from three airlines on the right time tables, can't win them all)
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-29 23:32, magicofCurtis wrote:
I see this post as a waste and it should not even be in the tricky business section!

A post about the business side of magic (touring, travel, flights, dealing with clients) doesn't belong in the Tricky Business section? I quote the Café, "This is the area to talk about the business side of magic."

If you have a better suggestion for a section of the Café, please do tell me. Otherwise, kindly move along to one of the other 4,428,693 posts on the Café at the time of this posting.

Since when is sharing stories as a working magician not acceptable on a magic forum? I must be new here. I've only been a member for six years.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Sorry, posting photos of your waffle breakfast and suite case is really not a business side of magic.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Move along then, thanks for stopping by. You're not a moderator and have no business whatsoever commenting or deciding whether a thread is in the right section or worth posting. Your post is the only one that is off topic at the moment. I'm constantly bewildered that someone would bother posting in a thread they deem a waste of time.

Sorry, just went to your website. You're the "attention getter" - it all makes sense now.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Brian,
You may throw personal insults, however, your posting lacks interest and a true business connection for this section, except to promote your blog!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Brian
Good for you. If I had the opportunity to do those kind of gig's I'm would have to turn them down because what you are doing is a young man's game, and at my age all I'm only willing to travel 100 miles for a pay check. When you get to Philly give me a call, and you can buy me lunch you successful magician.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
"I admire Nash. He’s got a great look, smooth hands, and a captivating personality"

YES SIR!! This is going straight to my testimonials on my website.
Thanks man! LOL

For those of you who wondered, Brian knows his craft and is very innovative as well. Rightfully he is extremely busy!

Until next time.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If we can dispense with the virtual measuring contest and move along that would be cool.

My first thought was big deal. Who cares? But I put five seconds thought into it and can see where this sort of thing is probably more useful to one starting out than Mindpro or myself posting.

I am right now in the Dominican Republic. I fly home Friday and leave for Puerto Vallarta the next Wednesday. Cancun and then Dubai. In between Chicago and Las Vegas.

Point is that sort of schedule is not relatable when you start out. Something like Brian posts is far more useful.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Thank you for posting that Brian. It should be helpful to those who are hobbyists but are wondering about hitting the road and doing this as a business.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
One man's ceiling is another man's floor. I am not as busy as Mindpro, Danny, or Brian, and I enjoy hearing the stories of the road.

I have two shows today I should put about 50 miles on my car odometer, and if I do a great job there just might be a $50 tip or two in it for me.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I actually enjoy stories from the road at any level.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Cut it out Al, you're rubbing it in!
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

I actually wish I saw more road stories from the seasoned pros here. Especially guys like Mindpro and Danny who are traveling levels above what I'm doing. Thanks for all the feedback.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-01 16:06, Dannydoyle wrote:
If we can dispense with the virtual measuring contest and move along that would be cool.

My first thought was big deal. Who cares? But I put five seconds thought into it and can see where this sort of thing is probably more useful to one starting out than Mindpro or myself posting.

I am right now in the Dominican Republic. I fly home Friday and leave for Puerto Vallarta the next Wednesday. Cancun and then Dubai. In between Chicago and Las Vegas.

Point is that sort of schedule is not relatable when you start out. Something like Brian posts is far more useful.

Danny, you nailed it again.

Brian, I enjoyed reading about your adventure. Please post more when it moves you!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Unlike Danny who travels to great resorts around the world, my travels run the gamut from small towns Bumfunk, USA to great places with five star accommodations and everything in between. The last dozen years or so I've been running 40-43 weeks per year on the road, so on one hand it all blurs together, on the other hand it seems I've experienced almost everything and nothing surprises me. From having celebs in the audience, to a nudist cruise (which I had no idea of until at sea), to finding myself in a situation with a huge bear where it came down to either him or me surviving, I lived, he didn't. It's all just part of the business. Most of it is a blur of airports, hotels, rental cars, limousines, theaters, schools, sound checks, media interviews, repeat, over and over again.

On the other hand it's very rewarding seeing the country or the world while living the life you've at one time only dreamed about. I guess nothing is quite as glamorous from the inside. Lately I've been looking to do more runs and hopefully a residency so I can cut some of the travel, and embark on a new long-awaited phase of my career and life. Often I'll travel 6-15 hours just to do a 45 (or 60-75) minute performance. It's not for everyone I'll tell you that. I happen to love the road, can function well alone, feel at home in hotels, and am lucky after many years to play the level of venues and for audiences that I'm able to enjoy.

I think it's great to hear from younger guys like Brian that are at the beginning stages of this. That's where it is truly the most exciting. You aren't burnt out, cynical, and so much "been there done that". I too have always enjoyed hearing road and stories about "the business" of show biz and entertaining. Luckily some of my most cherish memories in this area have come from of the legends of show business and those I'll never forget.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » East Coast to West Coast and back in 48 hours (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL