The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Jon Allen's "Double Back" -- Still Just Perfect! (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8863 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You might remember my post earlier this year on another wonderful packet trick, well there is another one that I've done for years and continue to come back to it over and over again because it's just awesome, and that is Jon Allen's, Double Back.

This is a remarkably smooth effect, not difficult to do and packs a punch so immediately potent that it hit's you up high right between the eyes and down low hard to the gut as you watch two Kings openly switch places with a pair of 5's (my set). Smile The effect is you show 4 cards, ask a few relative questions as you show the cards again, you instruct the specs to follow carefully as you put the two 5's on the table and clearly show the pair of kings up in your hands. And then BAM!!!...The kings are instantly shown to be 5s and the two kings are now there on the table. Just beautiful.

I like this effect a lot because it is easy to follow, it brings together some nice moves and produces some great magic. Jon hit it out the park with this one and that it was an instant classic proves how far he hit it, as it's still going with no seeming sense of slowing down.

I still have my old set and it's wearing down a bit but still producing amazement. I had the one that came with the yellow manuscript but nice to see that it comes with a DVD now. Nice and I'd like to see the update of it someday. Smile

As has been said around here, I'm mostly a coin guy but like to play with the cards a bit too at times. I've gotten better with them and can do a few neat things now to help break up all the coin work, but I still like the really good packet effects. Double Back is still certainly one of the very best IMHO, and anytime you do it, you've done a card trick that absolutely can't be beat. You don't have to be any such great card man to look like one if you do this effect. It absolutely blows the shoes off spectators, and is really cool to pull out and do anytime, anywhere. It's some of the most magic you will ever see with just 4 cards anywhere.

I still like other great packet effects like NFW, B'Wave, Capitulating Queens and even Lubor Fidlier's Royal Fantasy now and again, all fine packet tricks to be sure but Double Back can roll with the very best of them and if it's not in the conversation, well, then you're not quite talking about the best. Smile

Finally, most folks go through a lifetime without producing any particular piece of perfection of their own or for others. Well, Double Back is perfection, and I thank the fine closeup magician, Jon Allen again and again for sharing it with us yesterday, today and always. Smile

Take a look for yourself and see why it continues year after year to be so highly recommended. It don't get too much better than this. Smile

Then...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzwxcfQ4pUc

And Now... Still Just Perfect! Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-rf_I1AQBtM#!
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17162 Posts

Profile of joseph
Agreed sir.. just a great effect .. every magician should have this...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
I never get tired of that one.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
greenc77
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of greenc77
Never seen this before but looks very powerfull, might have to put this on the Christmas list.
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
182 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
I've never seen this before - I have to ask - can this be done with borrowed cards? For only $15 bucks on Vanishing Magic, it has me wondering...
Card Detective
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Card Detective
Double Back is supplied with the necessary cards.
Fluent Spanish speaker, if I can help anyone, let me know.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
You might want to see my lousy performance too Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKNnuU-xME
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8863 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Just checking back here. Not bad CardMaker, looks pretty good to me. Good job!

Hey, I have the old one with the yellow manuscript. I guess it comes with a disk now, how is it as to the explanation. And does it give any other pointers, etc. ? Just askin'. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Axman
Double back is one of the best card tricks ever invented.
Absolute genius.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1152 Posts

Profile of Corbett
MB, I too am a fan of this fine routine. Wanted to ask you, if you go into this routine wtih a standard deck, as I plan to, how do you ditch the gaff so you can continue with your set?
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
One of the best packet tricks available!
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8863 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-01-02 09:00, Corbett wrote:
MB, I too am a fan of this fine routine. Wanted to ask you, if you go into this routine wtih a standard deck, as I plan to, how do you ditch the gaff so you can continue with your set?

Hiya Corbett, Smile

I typically don't do this from a deck, though I suppose you could well enough and go into the routine. Afterwards, I usually just gather the cards and put them away but I will think about how this could be done in relationship to using a deck. Perhaps others here might offer some ideas on it as well. Smile

PapaG
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Is the outward reality for the spectator that much different to Doc Daley's Last Trick?
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2467 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
PapaG,

This is better/stronger than Daley's Last Trick because you actually show the cards in your hands that you are supposed to have. With DLT there is a lot of implying going on. With DB you place the cards in their hands like DLT but then reinforce everything is as you claim by showing the two cards in your hands. Then they visibly change to the cards they believe are in their hands and the cards you just showed them are now in their hands. Much stronger in my opinion.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Still not sure that the display is necessary. The addition is nice but is it worth carrying gaffs just for this added convincer. Obviously it's a real magician fooler but I just wonder whether laymen need that additional convincer.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8863 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think Paul gave it to you straight PapaG, as to why this effect is so powerful in comparison to the Daley Trick. I do that effect too and both tricks are nice but DB goes a bit further with the concept of the cards switching places. DB would be categorized as an absolutely "impossible" transposition beyond that of the Daley trick, which would come off in the "slickly done" category, IMHO.

Think if you did both, DB would get a stronger reaction everytime out, like the difference between a Mustang and Maserati. Smile And again, I still love the Daley trick as well. Smile

Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Always been a fan of double back. I also believe its stronger than Daley's Last Trick (which was a staple of my walkaround card magic for a long time). You just can't beat that instant change right before their eyes.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2467 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2013-01-13 18:22, PapaG wrote:
Is the outward reality for the spectator that much different to Doc Daley's Last Trick?

I think the bottom line is that the conviction is stronger, so therefore so it the effect. With DB, they know you have the cards in your hands that you are supposed to, so therefore the cards in their hands must be the others. Bam! The cards in your hands instantly change. That is their reality with DB.

The only thing that is going to convince you is to buy it and try. You will then be able to see the difference in the reactions.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
For me 'stronger reaction' is not always my goal of perfoming magic. Someitmes I seek strong reaction, sometimes I seek laugh, sometimes I seek deep reaction.

'Double Back' is a kind of pure transpositions and 'Daley's Last Trick' is a kind of sucker tricks. They are two different tricks. So I would use them at different occasions.

Hideo Kato
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
95 Posts

Profile of Proximo
I also have the yellow manuscript. Picked it up ages ago and still loving it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Jon Allen's "Double Back" -- Still Just Perfect! (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL