The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Jon Allen's "Double Back" -- Still Just Perfect! (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I am a gaffed packet trick lover...with my sincere respect to purists and everything that they do to promote the art of magic, I will not hesitate to use a gaff in any card effect...as long as the audience reaction reflects that the effect elicits an eyepopping, jawdropping expression we all get such satisfaction from. An effect like that will always have a place in my act.
Today I obtained Double Back from my local magic dealer. Thanks to the original post by Mb217 I have been curious to try this effect on real world spectators and not the feller's who hang out at the shop finding every conceivable reason as to why a trick WONT work in the real world ( for Double Back, the magic masturbators claimed that the spectators will be suspicious of the cards,thus demanding to see the ones in the performers hands).After a few hours of practice,I was able to share this trick with a few friends. IT KILLED!!!!
Thanks to Mb217 for bringing up this effect in his original post and to Jon Allen for his brilliant contribution to the mainstream.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8865 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Glad you gave it a try for yourself, Rocky...That's the way! Smile Never let friends tell you a real pretty girl can't kiss well, try for yourself. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Thanks for the suggestion Mb, that looks excellent.
JustCraig
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of JustCraig
Double Back really is an amazing effect – Without a doubt my favourite packet trick.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It is a staple with me. So simple, so CLEAR, so elegant...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5496 Posts

Profile of videoman
FYI, repositionable glue sticks are still available, although not my favorite thing to use with Double Backs.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yes. In fact I found some. A few dabs has done the trick for me. (Pardon the pun.)

Since the cards are pulled apart and immediately restuck, I have not even had to re-apply the stick through hundreds of uses. Amazing stuff!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I put this on top of any deck containing other effects. While they're holding the 2 fives (they think) and I show I have the 2 kings, I wave my cards facedown over theirs asking if they felt it. Sometimes they say yes, which is great. Such a strong moment. Dr. Daley's on steroids (as I believe Daffy once described it). I love packet effects. Sometimes I'll have this on top of a deck, ditch them after, have the 2 cards necessary for Twlight Angels (ditch them after), have 8 card brainwave next on top (after double back has been ditched), then ditch those as well. I will end up with another gimmick on top DF R &B) for Dan Harlan's Turning Blue effect. Sometimes if I have Richard Sanders "Tagged" gimmick card in middle of seck (and chain on) I go into that right after Twlight Angels. At the end I usually put all cards back into the case and say "actually, let me show you one more" at which point I take out the ENVY-LOPE gimmick and perform it. Then of course I can go in to a bunch of impromptu effects, everything examinable at the end.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Wow!! Killer routiine!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Thanks daff. that's my power deck, containing enough effects to entertain fir a while. Even if I show 1 to 3 then put them away, I have the others already set and ready to rock. I'm all about the crazy visual stuff usually.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You're just like me!
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
I worked out a handling years ago that didn't use the gaff card included in double back. But,it did use a dupe card. It was just as clean, but after doing it a lot, started considering that,
If I had an extra card anyway, why was the dupe better than the gaff card? Only the fact that it may be less noticeable if left in the deck while another card effect followed d/b.
And was the trade off of holding/concealing a double card thru the whole routine worth swapping the very clean single gaff card?
Like I said it was a long time ago, and I think I was going thru a kind of 'purist' phase in card magic for some reason.
Couldn't care less now! If a performance is strengthened because a gaff or two are in play, so be it!
And thanks for reminding me how great this effect is. I saw it first at the first convention I ever went to and it totally blew my mind.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yup. Simple is always better!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8865 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Glad to see this thread still going since I started it about a year ago this time. Smile Tremendous amount of posts and views here says a lot about Jon Alllen's, Double Back, basically that it is indeed a classic.

I read some posts where people were asking how easy is this effect to do, well, it's not hard stuff at all and "practice" makes it hum like a fine motor as to its overall presentation.

I just began carrying it around with me again after a little hiatus, and I actually did the trick about 10 times today for various people and groups and it still kills! Smile Such a nice little plot to it that plays out so amazingly, and guaranteed to drive people mad. Smile I'll probably do it another 10 times or so over the weekend as I just love the overall setup, finish and instant-enough reset to it…And not to mention the always great applause.

Packs small, Plays BIG every time out. I truly think that if Dr. Daley could see this little take on his seminal "Last Trick" effect, he would be very impressed without a doubt. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
He would probably slap himself for not thinking of it!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I still like the "blackjack" presentation with double back, leading in to a nice gambling routine.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
The "Blackjack" presentation?
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Yep. Patter goes something like " A long time ago my grandpa taught me how to win at blackjack. Its all about knowing when to hit and when to stay. Want to try a hand?". Deal them 2 5's and show your 2 kings and ask what they want to do. Obviously they say hit. Say "see I would've stayed". I think I'll hit,". They look at you like your crazy. Reveal your 2 5's, deal another card to them (making sure its not an ace) and say "sorry looks like you went over. And that's why I'm not allowed in vegas" Its always a hit.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Very nice!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5496 Posts

Profile of videoman
Over the years I've accumulated several different versions of the card you need, so consequently I will switch around occasionally and try out different presentations using different pairs of cards. A couple of the routines I've done don't even use pairs, but use contrasting cards relevant to whatever my storyline is at the time.

The routine I've been doing most recently uses 2 jokers (a regular one and the guarantee one) along with the 2 red queens. I just keep them in a regular deck and have the necessary cards interspersed throughout the deck. The nice thing I like about this version is after the trick is finished I just put the jokers away in my shirt pocket and then I can continue using the deck for other tricks. It makes complete sense to remove the jokers from the deck as this is a very common thing that most people have done.
Usually at the start as I spread thru the deck face up while chatting for a moment, I make a comment that I must have "forgotten" to remove the jokers from this deck so I may as well show them a quick trick with the jokers, afterwards I put the jokers away in my pocket and continue along so it all makes perfect sense to the specs.

It's logical, makes for a clean ending, and with a smooth and easy flow. I've been having a lot of fun with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Jon Allen's "Double Back" -- Still Just Perfect! (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL