The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Brian Campbell on How To Get a Restaurant Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I really enjoyed that. Thank you.

-Mary Mowder
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Awesome! Good find Zombie! :o)
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3145 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Very sound advice.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
New user
MN
93 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Like Brian, I've performed in restaurants for years. He's got some pretty sound advice, especially about WHEN to go the restaurant, and WHO to talk to.
I always use a presentation book. The last two issues of my free eNewsletter, ProfitablePerformances.com, were focused on getting restaurant gigs.
I have a free 1 page list of 10 Ways That I Promote the Restaurant. If you want this free copy, you can get it in the Articles section at http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz.
The idea is that you should share with the restaurant about how you can help them PROMOTE. It's not about the tricks, it's about the marketing.
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thank you Mr. Miller for adding to the conversation and the helpful advice!
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Thanks for the link.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3145 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
If you want this free copy, you can get it in the Articles section at http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz.

I must be the worst website navigator in the world. Whenever I see something like that I go to the site and can't find the thing that I'm looking for.

Is there really an "Articles" section on that page. I looked and looked and even used control f to search for the word Articles.

(Ok found it. Very small at the bottom left)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
He says a good idea is to teach the bartender a quick and easy effect he can do for tips. What would you guys suggest for that one? Not really sure about it haha.

Although I do get why it's suggested and do think it's an idea to try out.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I suggest not showing the bartender a trick. Why cheapen what you do and make it less special?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-12 15:09, Dannydoyle wrote:
I suggest not showing the bartender a trick. Why cheapen what you do and make it less special?

Danny, that was one area that I had to think hard about. On one hand, I know many bartenders that know "some" magic. Nothing out of Stars of Magic or The Magic of Matt Schulien. More along the lines of "betchas" which don't really have to involve betting. I have known some that knew TT's, scotch and soda, use of equivoque.

But, I think it's easier to identify the decision maker and meet and make a professional pitch for your services.

Although, this is a strange planet and almost anything can work. I have a friend that NEVER worked a restaurant or even did a magic show. It was just a hobby. He went to happy hour at a local place and as the manager walked by him, he stopped her said he was a Magician and did she ever consider having entertainment. She asked for his business card and...he had none. He took a cocktail napkin and wrote his name and phone number on it and gave it to her.

She called him that week, chatted for a bit and hired him.

I guess now he can write a book and state that as the best way to get work. lol.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Quote:
Although, this is a strange planet and almost anything can work. I have a friend that NEVER worked a restaurant or even did a magic show. It was just a hobby. He went to happy hour at a local place and as the manager walked by him, he stopped her said he was a Magician and did she ever consider having entertainment. She asked for his business card and...he had none. He took a cocktail napkin and wrote his name and phone number on it and gave it to her.

She called him that week, chatted for a bit and hired him.

I guess now he can write a book and state that as the best way to get work. lol.

I guess the main tip to getting any gig is like a good sale. You have to ask for it.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well to me it is much more than just getting the sale. It is keeping the job, them wanting you back when you leave and a general way in which what I do is perceived.

It is far more than just the sale.

Everyone has their own theory, and all are right for the individual situation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Brian Campbell on How To Get a Restaurant Gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL