The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How does one get a T.V. show ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gcdnuan
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Gcdnuan
How does one get a T.V. show ? Does one contact a production company or a broadcasting company directly or one must get an agent absolutely ?

Thank you for the future replies

cheers
MagicFranc
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MagicFranc
I think it depends of the TV show. Smaller companies (local hosts) can be contacted directly (I did it a lot of times), bigger companies are a lot harder to get in
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Simple, Make omne and submit it to your local cable company that has public access veiwing. If its community oriented you may get it put on the air.

Easy as pie I have done it myself. It does take a lot of work producing it but it does help your bottom line as well.

Saying you have had a featured TV special on your promo can help you book gigs
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
As suggested on here, you can create your own show and sell it to the local markets.
For funding with the larger networks will require you to work through a major production company and then they will take 90% of the money and pay you a salary. When you get picked up for a second and third season, then you will be able to command a large pay.
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I think Criss Angel actually had a local cable access tv show back in the day. Seemed to work out pretty well for him, where there's a will, theres a way.

good luck,
sb
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, gone are the days of Mark Wilson and David Copperfield getting a sponsor and they pay the bill for you to create and put on your own television show.

Product sponsors just don't do that anymore.

Mark Wilson had Kellogg's and David Copperfield had Clorox, it was another time in the development of America.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Before you can get a TV show you must first become famous.

Any other questions?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Ahha - Al!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Actually, all it takes is money to get on TV. Doesn't matter who's money it is either, yours or a sponsors.
Just make sure they are large bills. Smile

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19854 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 16:38, sb wrote:
I think Criss Angel actually had a local cable access tv show back in the day. Seemed to work out pretty well for him, where there's a will, theres a way.

good luck,
sb

Having a family with a very large disposable income didn't hurt the cause either.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 21:06, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 16:38, sb wrote:

good luck,
sb

At one point the investment PIAD OFF big....
Having a family with a very large disposable income didn't hurt the cause either.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2500 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
This is my favorite question ever on the Café.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Smile I want one......
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Have deep pockets

In lieu of deep pockets find someone with deep pockets

or be very, very, VERY good and get ready for a lot pitch meetings and a lot of turn downs
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hmmmmm.....create your own through Youtube...Justin Bieber hasn't done bad, he started out with a Youtube clip, and many other lesser knowns have started this way also, some even just continue on producing "shows" and videos for Youtube exclusively.

Viewership???? Jeff Dunham (vent) has had over 160 million views with one of his clips.

B
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22173 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 19:30, Al Angello wrote:
Before you can get a TV show you must first become famous.

Any other questions?

Hey Al, I have to disagree with you there. You only need to know the right people. Doug Henning got Canada to grant him funds to get an education in magic from Dai Vernon. This lead to many articles in newspapers and magic magazines that got his unique story and name out to those that can help him.

David Copperfield was just a kind that answered a newspaper ad for a magician in Chicago. Then when the show closed he was offered to take it to New York.

It is the age old easy answer, be at the right place at the right time. Being born in line with those times, then ask and meet the right people for help.

Lance Burton, get some good training and ideas form Mr. Harry Collins, Frito-Lay magician. Work hard to develop a magic act. Get a repeat job at an amusement park. Win the IBM talent contest by shier luck. Go to California, get recommended to perform at a Comedy and Magic Club, which leads to Las Vegas auditions.

See it is really easy to get your own television show.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bill
I have to disagree with you on that one. The last time I was in New York I witnesses a young girl who stops a New York City police officer, and said "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?", the police officer looked straight into her eyes and said "practice, baby practice".
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-12-22 18:37, Al Angello wrote:
Bill
I have to disagree with you on that one. The last time I was in New York I witnesses a young girl who stops a New York City police officer, and said "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?", the police officer looked straight into her eyes and said "practice, baby practice".

Practice?

Umm.. I am not sure I belive your police office story. I grew up in New York an that story is very well known about about legendary pianist Arthur Rubinstein.

another fact I will clue you in on Al is the best are NOT usually the most known, the most famous or with the most money.

I know a TON of fantastic and amazing entertainers broke living in cheap apartments not event making 100k a year! Many have blown every dollar they have on every new grand idea and every latest toy and gadget that come out everyday promising to be better. There house is packed with stuff!

I know guys that are magicians that have gone totally bankrupt from maxing out every credit card they own buying and learn every new magic trick and gadget that is for sale. You heard me correct bankrupt from the education and consumption of being the craft they love.

But are they any good? Yes in fact many of them are beyond good and there acts are great even fantastic!

That said I know entertainers with crappy acts using the some old routines for the last 10 years who are making six figures. Are they good? No there terrible but makes a ton of money at it.

So do you have to be great to be famous and or finacially successful?!? NO you do not. Do you have to be decent or good? Yes good but great NO.

You act is only a tiny fraction of the big picture.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Kevin
You must really be from Alabama, because A real New Yorker can spot an old Henny Youngman joke in an instant.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I wish Marshall Brodien was here to answer this!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How does one get a T.V. show ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL