The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walk around magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Hi, I am doing a gig on Thursday, strolling(walk around magic) for adults at a workplace. Does anyone have any tips for me in terms of approaching people(especially because I am only 13 and they may think I am a joke)
Any help[ much appreciated
Thanks
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Try to project confidence, like you belong there as part of the staff.
Don't get upset if people patronise you / ignore you etc.
Be likeable.
Appreciate that any new job is a learning experience.
Have the workplace tell the staff that a young magician will be working.
Perform bullet-proof stuff, with a quickie to show them you have the skills.

Search through various other threads re: first gig etc for lots of advice.

Good luck
Charlie
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
What's to say that you aren't a joke? Have you done this sort of thing before? Are you thoroughly rehearsed and scripted? Do you have a character? Is your material down cold?

If you know what you're doing they won't think you're a joke.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
As Nate Leipzig said, "If they like you they will like your act".
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Futureal: I Have done it once before(table hopping) but I have done magic for 4 years.... I have 4 set tricks/effects with cards! I am comfortable perofmring my material but I have not physically written down my script.
Thanks
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Think Doogie Howser.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I know several young magicians who work in areas like this and just blow away adults all the time. I came to magic a little later in life, but I've been performing in one way or another since I could walk. It CAN be a bit intimidating, but if you are confident in your material, look the part and are cordial, I'm sure you'll do fine.
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
How should I approach people... just walk up with a deck and say "My name is ________, I am a magician would you like to see some tricks" would the majority of adults accept that or decline that?
Thanks
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Confidence is the key. Age is just a number. Say hi and tell them you are hired to entertain them, I'm sure they will be very intrigued!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I agree, just intorduce your self and ask, people love magic at work. Mid shift my old boss us to drag me into his office so I could perform a few effects for him, or grab me to perform magic for certain customers.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
To be honest, I used to perform when I was that age as well and to be honest there was little things that got me, not in trouble but I can tell had an affect.

DO NOT do anything that may seem kiddie, sponge balls (do coins across instead, same effect.), nothing plastic, try to be very direct, mindreading, direct card magic and etc.

Hope that helps, and, most importanlty have fun!
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
I agree TOTALLY with SIX. That was my problem when I was younger.
One thing I would add here... that goes along with confidence... is dress. Wherever you go dress slightly better than the average person. If someone (kid or adult) comes up to me dressed looking like they just got out of bed... I couldn't take them seriously. But if they were dressed to impressed... you have to take them seriously. (this was a lesson I recently learned... 3-4 years ago.)
On approaching... I would do the same thing here as I would at any social event. Find someone you know... or someone you can get along with quickly and do a really loud trick. That will get people's attention. Then they will know what you're there for. Once you get going you'll do great.
Best of luck and please let us know how it went!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
It's all about confidence. The confidence comes from knowing you can do the effect consistently.
Doing the effect consistently comes from practice.
Practice until you are confident and everything will fall into place.
Ihor
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
In addition to the above advice, dress well and have a professionally made name badge.
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Hey guys, all went well... some very skeptical people out there... but it went really well... thanks for all your tips
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walk around magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL