The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wing suit flying (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nope! Looks like fun, though.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It looks like Rocky the Squirrel!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes, but technically it's not flying. The illusion and the experience are probably awesome.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've posted about this twice before. It seems wonderful and spectacular, but it is crazy-dangerous.

Listen to this TED talk (with video) by the late Ueli Gegenschatz, who died from a base jump just a few months after his talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ueli_gegenschat......ing.html
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Gegenschatz died jumping for a Red Bull promo. I wonder if that makes them responsible for his death...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
503 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I'm an active skydiver with 800 jumps under my belt. I've flown wing suits in the past. Not my forte, but an awesome experience nonetheless. Just an FYI, you need a minimum of 200 skydives before flying a wingsuit. It's a lot different than your average skydive.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Back in 1979, Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine ran a story about a guy who was hired to help a problem on a space station.

The station had a "zero gravity" area in the center of the rotating tube and it dawned on the managers of the station that this would be an idea place for a flying area if they could just get the wings to work properly. So they hired a tailor to design better wings.

The tailor's idea was to scrap the wings completely and opt for a "dolphin style" flying suit very similar to what is being used here.

Can't imagine using it in a one-g gravity field!

Here's a copy of the cover showing how the artist imagined the suit.

http://www.amazon.com/Asimovs-Science-Fi......019LX61O
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 14:58, Corey K wrote:
I'm an active skydiver with 800 jumps under my belt. I've flown wing suits in the past. Not my forte, but an awesome experience nonetheless. Just an FYI, you need a minimum of 200 skydives before flying a wingsuit. It's a lot different than your average skydive.

Is that enforceable? Also, do you do a lot of plane dives with the wingsuit before you ever do a basejump?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
http://xtremesport4u.com/extreme-air-spo......-flyers/

All extreme sports are dangerous, some more than others, and wingsuit flying and BASEjumping probably the most dangerous of all. We found this little list of statistics on fatalities in extreme sports over the past 5 years per 1,000 participants. Anyone with an ambition to climb K2 might take note of these figures too!

Skydiving: 3.3
Base Jumping: 44
Hang Gliding/Paragliding: 3.8
Summiting K2: 104
ATV Riding: 0.5
Scuba Diving: .06
Snowboarding: .05

Although wingsuit flying is not on the list (there is probably not enough data to work with yet) it is probably somewhere between skydiving and BASEjumping. It is an interesting aside, though, that fatality rates were very high during the developmental period for this extreme sport. Between 1930 and 1961, 71 out of 75 people died trying to perfect a wingsuit.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Maybe in my younger and dumber days.
Dennis Michael
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-12-03 10:04, Tom Cutts wrote:
Yes, but technically it's not flying. The illusion and the experience are probably awesome.

It's falling ........ With style! Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
On the BASE jump thing .....

I heard on the morning news this week that the worlds highest suspension bridge has opened. I wonder ow long it will be before its base is jumped and I looses it's platform cherry?
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
503 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Yes, it's very enforceable. It may not seem like it to outsiders but the sport of skydiving is heavily regulated. Also, yeah, you have to do lots of wingsuit skydives before considering throwing yourself off of a cliff with one. The margin for error is a lot smaller, and with a BASE jump, there is no reserve parachute.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I'm a skydiver also. Haven't had the opportunity to try a wingsuit but I love to open high (@ 13,000) and fly around the OUTSIDE of clouds.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Wingsuits are sooo passe.

You want kicks, try this:

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/5/11/8......loon-boy
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Wow that is cool.

Like gambling with your life for thrill.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
How in the world does this contraption not produce enough heat to cook the pilot? Anyone?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
"I'm not playing with death; I'm playing with life."

Keep playing, wherever you are and whatever you do.

(That said, two other things: Magnus has a point. Second, the dude is crazy. Just like Uuli Gegenschatz.)

Thanks for the link, Balducci. And the Dubai Tourism Agency.
Vonschwager
View Profile
New user
ben dover is my brother not a verb
19 Posts

Profile of Vonschwager
I would never play with gravity.
Dubai must be the place to go for thrills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7SRYUN5o9w
and this video is just jumping, not flying.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wing suit flying (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL