The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Transition from rubber bands to cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
I have a walk around magic gig on thursday... what is the best way to change from rubber band trick to card tricks?
Thanks
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Dude don't think about it to much. Just relax and have some fun doing your tricks, go with the flow, ask questions or make a joke. If things are not going well just leave it at the rubber band trick.

Good luck!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
For years when I did restaurant work I would finish my card work with card on ceiling thus using a rubber band to hold the cards in place.
I would take out several and put them on the table and use one for the card on ceiling.

Then the other just sitting there I would simply say cool check this out and and do some rubber band magic.

What ever you do don't over think it. Just simply work on a smooth transition with some conversation.

Maybe have a second card box with rubber bands in it. When you take the cards out of box A put the box in your pocket. When you done the cards put in box B that has the rubber bands. The cards don't fit and you act surprised then dump out the rubberbands (its almost like magic) then put cards away and you now got some rubber bands to play with.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Transitional material is much more important in stage or stand up work than in restaurants. When you're table hopping, you're just showing one or two quick tricks and moving on. You don't always need a logical transition between tricks.

Having said that, theatrically and psychologically I do believe the audience feels more comfortable with a routine that "makes sense" than a haphazard collection of tricks. Even if they couldn't describe what it is about your performance that they enjoyed. I think often it is hard to say why we like certain entertainment and not others. Things like this (introducing the next prop in a logical and consistent manner) probably play a role, subconsciously.
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Just wrap the rubber bands around the deck or case. Then proceed to perform your rubber band effect(s) and then follow up with the cards that are already in play. It works well with me.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I echo Themagicguy, just go with it and don't worry too much. People don't really care, more often than not they just want to see more magic.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 17:34, Mike ODonnell wrote:
Just wrap the rubber bands around the deck or case. Then proceed to perform your rubber band effect(s) and then follow up with the cards that are already in play. It works well with me.

This sounds reasonable.

However... like others have stated, it does not matter.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Magicman,

I do appreciate the fact that you obviously care enough about your performance to be concerned about this.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
You can perform "Touch" by Hanson Chien, using the deck of cards. Then leave the rubber band on the deck and take the cards out. Perfect transition. It's takes the band out of play, and brings the cards into play. Have the spectator put the deck on your palm for the effect to happen...just my two cents.
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Thankyou
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Aldo Colombini had a book of card magic using rubber bands, called The Band.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Good luck
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
John Guastaferro has a great opening routine in his Ready Set GuastferrO lecture notes. It combines poker chips, invisible deck, and Crazy Man's Handcuffs. It's a great routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Transition from rubber bands to cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL