We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Swimming pool escape, different concepts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
No. Maybe I wouldn't jump. I'd do what made the best show, under the circumstances.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Yeah, jumping into a river while bound isn't just an escape, it's also a stunt, with many variables attached. Jumping into a pool is different, it's a much more controlled environment, fewer variables, in easy reach of people who could help you, lifeguard on duty, etc.
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Steve Baker tells the story of jumping off a pier and ending up in a stack of truck tires that someone had illegally dumped into the river. It wasn't a problme for him, but he found it amusing. I can well imagine that the tires somewhat protected him from the current.

Indeed control is what it is all about. Throw a stick into the river where you plan to jump, watch the stick, you will see the current. You can measure out a distance on the shore and actually calculate the speed of the river... sort of. What the stick will not tell you, is if there is a strong current under the water, or if stuff on the bottom makes cross currents or other problems lower down. It also will not tell you if there is half sunken garbage in the water that may come along and hit or entangle you. Taking a long pole out in a boat and trolling for the bottom won't help with those problems either. Going scuba diving in the river before hand might, but now you have raised your costs and planning time to a very large degree. I will agree that rivers should usually be avoided for bridge jumps.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-12-08 12:06, magicbymccauley wrote:
Yeah, jumping into a river while bound isn't just an escape, it's also a stunt, with many variables attached. Jumping into a pool is different, it's a much more controlled environment, fewer variables, in easy reach of people who could help you, lifeguard on duty, etc.

Which rivers have you done this in then? I only ask because your post seems to be written with an air of experience and authority about it. It sounds like you speak from experience as though you have considered the risks, controlled them and then conquered the challenge at hand. Maybe it's just the way you worded it.

I know for a fact that not every pool has a lifeguard on duty at all times. I am also willing to bet that anyone with any sense who has done an under water escape has had people in easy reach who could help. Regardless of location of said water, inside pool, outdoor pool, lake, watering hole, ocean, river, swamp, canal, brackish estuary or wheelie bin on the streets I would hope anyone who did a water based escape would have taken steps to ensure their own safety. Including someone to help and have signals ready to communicate the need for intervention.

As a paddler (kayak) I would be as happy about doing stuff in a river as anywhere else. Either way though I think Harley's advice of do your homework is some sound advice (I was assuming he means check out the depth, rocks etc etc). I would suggest (having heard a story from another paddler) that you do the checks a day or so in advcpance, and on the day just before you go in. Ok this was a river with grade 4 water but over night the riverbed had changed ..... Enoigh to need his head checking out by medics after he rolled (deliberate) and cracked his noggin on a rock (not deliberate).
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

No Dave. I haven't done a river jump. I've done stunts for various film projects and a lot of fight choreography, but one thing you have to watch out for is variables. Rocks, sinking mud, currents, debris (the tires are a good example), even if the current is gentle it can still be dangerous. Variables hurt, maim and kill, you want as little variables as possible.

If you're doing a water escape, and there isn't a lifeguard or someone trained in CPR, that is asking for trouble. Lots of pools don't have lifeguards, you are correct, they aren't mandatory. If I wasn't CPR trained (and a trained lifeguard) I wouldn't go to a pool without a lifeguard, and you should never be in rough water alone if you can avoid it.

I usually have two methods to make an escape, if something goes wrong. For a water escape I'd want AT LEAST two if not three. No one's ever been hurt (other than simple cuts or bruises) while working with or for me as a stunt man or fight choreographer, and I would like to keep it that way.

I didn't mean to sound as if I'd done a river jump, I just am careful to assess risk.

If like Harley said, I did my homework, had swam the river many times, had jumped in it many times, and assessed rocks, mud, and current, then MAYBE I would do it. Rivers are very dangerous, that's why people build bridges over them.
-Max Maven
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
For what its worth:

I do river escapes and ocean as well and once on the bottom of the gulf of mexico I had just been told there were hammerhead sharks in the area so Im on the bottom looking around hoping......

BACK TO THE RIVER----I did this in Cincinnati under the ice, they cut a hole in the ice (the day before the houdini story came up and I told them that never happened, they said could you do it, I said yup).
so, its a big media event the next day at noon at the mike fink restaurant on the river, ice goes out about 10 feet and a hole is cut at the edge of the restaurant. I get shackled up pretty good with a safety line attached, all I'm wearing is a T shirt and jeans. I jump into the hole and before I know it I'm swept down into one of the support piers and the current is forcing me there, its actaully a good thing because looking up I could see the ice hole a dozen or so feet upstream from me it is strangely beautiful in a light diffused green cast different from the much more muted ice, and the ice cold still hasnt hit me too bad because I'm concentrating I get the restraints in one hand and push off as hard as I can against the pier as soon as I get to the hole a huge hand grabs me, its charlie the EMT guy on hand, he wrestles me out and up, thank god they had one of the large heaters the Bengals use and wow, that's how I escaped into being an icehole escapist
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Wow escapeguy!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 13:39, escapeguy wrote:
that's how I escaped into being an icehole escapist

That's not the phrase a fellow member of the ice hole club used ..... He called himself an idiot. (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=492154&forum=18&23). With my hatred of the cold and damp I don't think I would even consider it now ..... Maybe in my earlier days pre ankle surgery and arthritis but maybe not.

You paint a great image of looking up at the hole in the ice. Sounds pretty scary whilst at the same time quite beautiful. Both you and KC were in similar clothing and both report having quite some time before feeling the cold too badly. Do you think that being in a cold air temperature first made the effect of the cold water less noticeable initially? I recall diving in to a swimming pool after being in a sauna for a while - very disorientating (and daft I might add .... Using some of that 20/20 hindsight) and I am sure it was the Difference in temperature that caused the effects I experienced.
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

So far two accounts of two people that almost died doing the river escape. Really makes you think. Thanks for the story escapeguy! It was a doozy!
-Max Maven
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Hey, I got to thinking, yup, I know, but it happens on occasion. I found this old clipping of the under ice escape, didn't know I had it, so posting from the past......hope you can make it out.

MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Nice share!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Mike has done a number of risky stunts that would have proven fatal for a less-seasoned escapologist.
The Griff is a true pro.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes he has!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
The other day I performed the water escape again. Made a few changes from the last time I performed it for TNT special event...

I have posted photos on FB...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=......7&type=1

My fav photo from that escape:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater

Enjoy

- Cheers
Curtis
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Great job Curtis!! Rock on buddy!!!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Thank you Richard!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Swimming pool escape, different concepts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.49 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL