The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » The Basic Problem With Gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
For me the real problem with gaffs is not the difficulty of ringing them in or any philosophical issue about 'pure' sleight of hand; the real problem is that, after working a deck in so that I'm comfortable with it, the introduction of a gaff (for me that's usually just a duplicate) means that the new gaff stands out like a sore thumb. You have a worked-in deck with a spanking new condition card. Stands out like a sore thumb and sleights prove impossible (handling a new duplicate as part of a double for example).

The solutions are unsatisfactory - always perform the effect that requires the gaff with a new deck (but I don't want to limit myself to the odd one-off performance and, moreover, I prefer a deck that has had a little bit of action...) or work the gaffs in in some way (have a deck of duplicates that you tinker with like an ordinary deck until they're the same condition as your regular deck? Some gaffs are fragile and can't be handled as such). Regardless, the only way of guaranteeing that the gaff 'fits the deck' is to either use it infrequently and only then with new decks or to have it permanently 'residing' within a particular deck until both are worn out. Obviously I want to be able to ring the gaff into a regular deck I'm working with, using the regular deck mainly sans gaff, so both these solutions fail.

So this is the reason many, many effects that I love that require a gaff (mainly a duplicate card) go largely unperformed. I'd love to make 'Hypothetical Possiblities' or 'Dream Card' regular items but always come up against the same problem.

Any thoughts....
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I think you have a good point. I find working with a relatively new deck works best with gaffs. Also having LOTS of extra gaffs helps, so you don't worry to much about wearing them out.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Probably one reason that gaffs aren't used is that much more time is spent talking oneself out of using them, than actually trying them on real people.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
If your that concerned, perform the effect with the gaff, go on to something that doesn't use cards than bring in a more worn deck and do some effects that don't use gaffs.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2012-12-07 19:46, Alan Munro wrote:
Probably one reason that gaffs aren't used is that much more time is spent talking oneself out of using them, than actually trying them on real people.

This is true... I don't ever let a deck get that far into used condition. I buy my Bicycle cards in bulk and get rid of them as soon as they look or feel overused. A gaff has way less of a chance of sticking out like a sore thumb that way, and a lot of gaffs (excluding dupes) look unreal anyhow such as a Joker holding a predicted card or several other examples.

The specs see way less than you think - go out into the real world and try - you will be amazed what they miss. I was once in Chuck's Magic Shop in Chicago suburb and wanted a thumbtip that better mached my skin tone, he reached under the showcase and proceded to do a silk to TT to reappear - it was awesome so I asked what brand TT was that? he showed it to me and it was chrome plated - wow! with proper misdirection, look what a magician can miss much less a spec.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
I'm not debating their efficacy but the difficulty of getting new cards to sit with not-new decks.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2012-12-07 20:37, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I don't ever let a deck get that far into used condition. I buy my Bicycle cards in bulk and get rid of them as soon as they look or feel overused. A gaff has way less of a chance of sticking out like a sore thumb that way,

Its just a cost of doing business... If you are making any money doing magic - you have to put some back in weather it be new decks or new effects to expand your show

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Most people prefer to work with a newish deck. When mine are worn in I open a new deck. That occurs before nearly every gig anyway because I give out away a lot of signed cards
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
186 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
Just do a few hours of Faro shuffles and bridges with your cards. Since you don't want to perform with a brand spanking new deck, just get a new deck, add your card, and flourish the snot out of them until they aren't new anymore. Giving em a good workout usually does the trick for me.

Of course, my only experience in this is using duplicates - so I just add in cards from other decks. I have no idea if gaffs have different wear characteristics or not. So sorry if that was less than helpful.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Have you tried Fanning Powder? I personally have no problem with performing with a new deck, I love performing with a new deck, I would bathe in new decks if it was an effective way to get clean... but my personal issues are not what this is about. my point is, the way I hear it, fanning powder can be used for more than making an old deck slide better, it can tone down the slickness of a new deck. making them easier to work with. I believe you should always be performing with a deck that looks fresh and crisp, not worn in, as you wear in a deck it gets dingy around the edges, hence why your gaff cards wont blend. but there's really a bigger problem with it than that, the problem is if you perform with a dingy deck you look extremely unprofessional.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I think Gary has a good point. The other day a few magi showed a variety of card tricks at the club with VERY dingey decks, the borders looked outlined in dirt stains. If I was a volunteer, I wouldn't touch them! Too disgusting! To say the least, it took a lot of my focus away from the magic.

Decks are CHEAP. I use new Bikes, break them in for a few hours. A Card Clip helps to keep them fresh about three weeks longer, then usual. But when the cards start feeling swarmy, they go in a drawer reserved to make future gaffs.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-12-12 12:03, Atom3339 wrote:
I think Gary has a good point. The other day a few magi showed a variety of card tricks at the club with VERY dingey decks, the borders looked outlined in dirt stains. If I was a volunteer, I wouldn't touch them! Too disgusting! To say the least, it took a lot of my focus away from the magic.

Decks are CHEAP. I use new Bikes, break them in for a few hours. A Card Clip helps to keep them fresh about three weeks longer, then usual. But when the cards start feeling swarmy, they go in a drawer reserved to make future gaffs.

Spot on,when my cards get worn out and dirty around the edges I use them for other effects,without giving too much a away on here.Gaffs can be broken down analised and made with fresh card's again so all is not lost,i do use old card's in the right environment,I teach bricklaying so my hands get dirty so do my student's,well most of the time when they decide to lay a brick or two,lol,so I can use old and clean deck's depending on different environment's.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I like keeping a gaff or duplicate always together with its deck--self-contained and ready for instant reset. It's easier to ring in the needed deck than to ring in and keep track of gaffs or duplicates separately. Now that I see this topic, I'm doubly glad of my standard operating procedure.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When I use a gaff, I tend to let it reside in the deck. I prefer to do what Don Alan did - he alternated card effects with other effects. This gave his performance visual variety. It also makes it easy to use several decks in a performance, some with gaffs in them.

If you're afraid to toss out dirty gaffs and decks, you should ask yourself why. I can understand using a presentational excuse for using a old deck, if the gaff is now unavailable or extremely pricey. For cheap gaffs, just replace them.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
That's half the motivation for the deck I just released - lots of good replacements for commonly needed double facers.

It's a problem that does get frustrating, but if you're using the deck enough to show wear on the gaffs, hopefully them is a trivial business expense in comparison...
Logic Defied
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I just found a different situation arises with gaffed cards. You know the 3 and 1/2 of clubs, and the fourteen of spades...that kind of thing? I also have the Tree Of Hearts, and a whole deck of gaffs from Ellusionist. Those of you familiar with the Gaff Deck, I used the "Zipper Card". My spectator said, "Hey, I didn't know they made cards like that! What other tricky cards ya got there?" He rifled through the deck looking...

Total surprise. Hmmm...I hate being accused of using "trick cards", but he's right. Gonna have to look at this seriously. Cards are supposed to appear "ordinary". The skull queens and kings, the reverse-color cards, the shattered aces..they're all suspect! Maybe they are made for performing for magicians, I don't know... Smile

Doug
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 20:50, Dougini wrote:
I just found a different situation arises with gaffed cards. You know the 3 and 1/2 of clubs, and the fourteen of spades...that kind of thing? I also have the Tree Of Hearts, and a whole deck of gaffs from Ellusionist. Those of you familiar with the Gaff Deck, I used the "Zipper Card". My spectator said, "Hey, I didn't know they made cards like that! What other tricky cards ya got there?" He rifled through the deck looking...

Total surprise. Hmmm...I hate being accused of using "trick cards", but he's right. Gonna have to look at this seriously. Cards are supposed to appear "ordinary". The skull queens and kings, the reverse-color cards, the shattered aces..they're all suspect! Maybe they are made for performing for magicians, I don't know... Smile

Doug

Don't feel so bad. I get accused of using a trick deck, when I'm not using one.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-01-01 14:25, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 20:50, Dougini wrote:

Doug

Don't feel so bad. I get accused of using a trick deck, when I'm not using one.

I did a magic gig for my parents company Christmas party one year. One of their employees asked my mom one day - "where does he get his cards at?" she told her I get them at sams club. The employee says "they sell trick cards at sams club?" my mom said "No, He doesn't use trick cards - he IS THAT GOOD"

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » The Basic Problem With Gaffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL