The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What Tricks guarantee they ask for a card? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Im sure I'm like many of you, that when you tell people you are a magician, they ask to see a trick. I rarely carry stuff, but I thnk I will start. what small, killer, quick trick do you, or would you carry around to make people ask for business cards?
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Invisible Deck (or anything with a deck of cards). Fits in a shirt pocket.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Yes, when they want to see a trick I ask them "do you ask a doctor for a diagnosis when you meet them?" Then explain that magic is how I make my living, come see one of my shows.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Paddy, true. It is kinda annoying, but this seems like an opportunity to showcase in front of a prospective client. You get a test drive before you buy a car. This seems less like "entertain me for free!" And more of an evaluation.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
If you can't take three minutes out of your day to do a card trick for someone, you're in the wrong field. They're not asking you to put on a 45 minute show for free. Personally, if a magician ever blew me off like that, I wouldn't come see them perform. That's just about the worst sales pitch I can think of.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 21:39, Andrew Zuber wrote:
If you can't take three minutes out of your day to do a card trick for someone, you're in the wrong field. They're not asking you to put on a 45 minute show for free. Personally, if a magician ever blew me off like that, I wouldn't come see them perform. That's just about the worst sales pitch I can think of.

You're absolutly correct. If their interested enough in magic to ask you to show them something, then as a magician you have a duty to show them something.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Plus, its not like magicians are like doctors. People pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to get diagnosed and treated. Uncle Bob can do a card trick for free...
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

A free show is another thing. I will still do free shows for good will/publicity etc, but the prep, travel, show that normally cost hundreds is different than a Svengali deck for 2 minutes.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Yes I understand what you are all saying, but you're wrong. You seem to think like the laymen that we are not professionals. We are. Uncle Joe is an amateur he does something that took 10 minutes to learn. We have spent a lot of money and hours perfecting our performances

First of all Tricks are performed by dogs and girls on the street. I am a magician, I perform effects, or minor miracles if you prefer. We as entertainers spend a lot more than just 40 hours a week working on our shows and selling the shows to the public. When I refuse to do "a trick" for a layman, I always do it with courtesy and respect and don't just blow them off.

Also I have found that the only thing free shows do for you is being asked to do more free shows. I do not do free shows with one exception. There is one organization that I have turned down a paid show so I could give them a free show but that's the only case.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have long past the part of my life where this matters.

I have heard all the stories of how this or that fantastic gig got booked by doing this trick or that trick. It is simply not how I want to be perceived is all. I don't do too much outside of the context of my show.

Now that is not to say I will do nothing mind you. But I don't carry things with me. Ever. If someone hands me cards, I will do some quick things but just enough to get them the cards back without incident LOL.

Do you know what you feed a hungry horse in the morning when you want to get a full days work out of him? Just enough to let him know he is hungry. Same principal with showing tricks when you are not being paid. Show just enough to let them know they want to see more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 09:09, Dannydoyle wrote:
Show just enough to let them know they want to see more.

It's pretty simple really.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Kameron
"Extreme Burn 2.0", but nothing is for sure.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
When they ask to see something, pull out a short stack of business cards and turn them blank side up. Ask them to think of a friend's name, or maybe count money in his pocket or wallet, or pull out a coin and think of the date .... you get the idea.

Write somehing on the blank side of the card. Then ask thm what they were thinking of. They respond, you hand them the card. They'll keep it.

Ed
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I believe Michael Ammar has a book on the subject. (effects with business cards)
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
LLPublishing
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of LLPublishing
There probably isn't one trick that will guarantee they will ask, but if you want to increase your odds of being asked, then do a trick with your business card (that's common sense, isn't it?).

Looking for suggestions? Michael Ammar can help:

Easy To Master Business Card Miracles

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=1919
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Ed, is that just a way to pass out your card, or am I missing the trick?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Kameron - think Vernet
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Are we talking nail writer?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yep, Charlie is right. Perform mentalism on a business card. It will make a great souvenir.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
If the goal is to tell people you are a magician, so that they ask to see something and then ask to have a business card, then do a trick with your business card. That way you don't have to have playing cards or arm choppers.

Carry a NW. Do something out of Corinda and they'll never forget you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What Tricks guarantee they ask for a card? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL