The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Easy to do with a bang. Moving to commercial-ish stuff. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
So I recently decided to start playing with some of the classics of magic, the well knowns for a small show I'm putting together. IE. Silk to egg, cardiographic, Tossed out deck, Invisible deck, ETC... I have always been one to come up with complicated routines full of sleights and all this intricate set up just cus, it's what I liked doing at the time. So I'm making this switch to magic that is a little more "Easy to do" (if that's the right term) so that I can focus more on showmanship, acting, and everything else that goes into selling the effects your performing. - I hope that made sense.

Anyway.. So I started thinking about strolling / table hopping / Bar magic, and kinda what to do the same thing, IE. Pen though bill, silk produtions from a TT. Extreme Burn,ring flight... Very conventional magic that doesn't take a lot to think about and Id like to rework routines and patter and see how well I can do on the creative side of presenting more then being skillfull at sleights.

So that leads me to my question. What are some good recommendations of your favorite effects that are easy to do, don't take a lot of set up or (skill) in a sense. - I have amazing 3 fly routines where each coin appears one by one from empty hands, and you 3 fly them and vanish them one by one... all pure sleight of hand... that's not what I'm looking for... Im looking for practical hard hitting, commerial and working material that I can really just worry about coming up with all new story lines for it and things of that nature.. Im looking for strolling, table hopping, behind the bar style stuff... Any thoughts to look into?

PS. I don't want to go as "magic shop-ish" as like cheap little trick sets you can by at the store haha..so please no suggestions like that. haha

Thanks for the ideas.. Just trying to have some fun with this.

Keywords that are in my mind... Simple, Powerfull, Packs a punch, fun, amazing and reliable magic that's going to hit everytime without too much risk of angle issues etc...
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Flash by Chad Long- new age color changing knives routine, uses flash drives
Chop cup- can’t get more classic than that

Check out David Regals book Approaching magic, He has some nice simple routines that use a CSB gimmick, and a fun little effect called restored credit, its a broken and restored credit card. Those are a pretty simple to do, minimal sleights.

I found the material on the Sleeveless sleeving DVD to be great for walk around. If you can do a flip stick move, you can do almost everything on the DVD.
If you want really simple look into some other coin gaffs, I already mentioned a CSB set, but hoping half’s, and scotch n soda are good too.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Coloring book monte, that's another good one.
http://www.bigguysmagic.com/coloring-boo......s-magic/
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5723 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Buy a copy of Bruce Elliot's Classic Secrets of Magic. There are a couple lists of classics there. They've stood the test of time. Many effects have become classic since the publication of the book, so a good magic dealer can steer you in the right direction.

I like to do stuff that requires my present skill set, without a massive amount of work to learn the basics. Sponge work, rings & string, rope routines, egg bag and mismade bill all fit the bill for me.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Fibre optics,
Crazy man handcuffs,
Sponge bunnies,

I like the idea that your going simpler. I saw a guy that worked a bar with a few simple trick. But great stories, performance and comedy.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
Rattled by Dan Hauss

I've always got this in my pocket now. Now only is the basic effect great but the DVD has many other routines plus ideas that show you it can be used as a utility to perform a lot of other effects. You can even use it as a mini chop cup.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2510
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Cards: Twins, Sam the Bellhop, Cards Across
Money: Bill in Lemon, Extreme Burn, Floating Bill
Other: Napkins Vanishes, Chop Shaker, Bottle Production.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Ring and Rope (I seem to be saying that a lot lately).

P.N. and other rope effects with the same rope.

Both play big but require a little more pocket space (or a bag ditched out of the way).

-Mary Mowder
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 01:28, theamazingsauce wrote:
Rattled by Dan Hauss

I've always got this in my pocket now. Now only is the basic effect great but the DVD has many other routines plus ideas that show you it can be used as a utility to perform a lot of other effects. You can even use it as a mini chop cup.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2510

Wow that is what I'm looking for. Simple, small, and you can come up with a great way to make that effect hit hard. This is a great recommendation. Thanks for this.

I think I'm also looking at

ring flight revolution (maybe use that at the end of a ring leader type of routine)
Extreme Burn
Viking Pen though Bill (Ill have to start a thread for some questions on this, I want a specific pen iv seen before)
Probably start playing with some loops. (Anyone work with tarantula before? I like that floating ring onto the spectators finger routine)

As far as sponge balls, I have always hated them, But I think I'm going to suck it up and make a routine... Anyone have any good dvd suggestions for these little balls of joy?

Any other recommendations from people? Im actually having some fun here trying to simplify my magic lol.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 05:14, Mary Mowder wrote:
Ring and Rope (I seem to be saying that a lot lately).

P.N. and other rope effects with the same rope.

Both play big but require a little more pocket space (or a bag ditched out of the way).

-Mary Mowder

Thanks Mary! I have ring leader. just never wanted to use it. I think I'm going to use this and a ring flight together. Smile
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
I too and going to add ring and rope to my routines. Looks fun.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I also am not a fan of sponge balls, but for my strolling gigs I still bring them along, for some reason those little balls of joy appeal to laymen of all ages. You can never go wrong with them.

Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 15:32, Derek Castillo wrote:

As far as sponge balls, I have always hated them, But I think I'm going to suck it up and make a routine... Anyone have any good dvd suggestions for these little balls of joy?

Hey Derek
I think if you don't like a prop, you shouldn't force a routine out of it, Tommy wonder says it is better to begin with an idea, a dream than try to make it a reality or you will find out that the effect was done before,
it's a win win situation, you either find what you want or create it yourself.

another thing I notice is that a many are looking for an easy to do effect...i don't know if you guys agree but since the audience don't know how it is done (hopefully), the skill level is irrelevant. the focus should be primarily the impact.

sorry for not answering for the question but hopefully this helps you in your search
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4258 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Instead of pen through bill, take a look at Ignition!

Speaking of, I started doing more rope routines. I've put it on my list to do ring on rope, Ring Leader seems like a good place to get a routine.
Charming Chinese challenge, packs small and plays big.
Flash is easy and great, nice and quick.
Extreme Burn is a very good choice.
Learn at least a rubberband routine if you are into that. Not just Crazy Man's Handcuffs, take a look at JUMPER.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 22:42, Dima Mystery Artist wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 15:32, Derek Castillo wrote:

Hey Derek
I think if you don't like a prop, you shouldn't force a routine out of it, Tommy wonder says it is better to begin with an idea, a dream than try to make it a reality or you will find out that the effect was done before,
it's a win win situation, you either find what you want or create it yourself.

another thing I notice is that a many are looking for an easy to do effect...i don't know if you guys agree but since the audience don't know how it is done (hopefully), the skill level is irrelevant. the focus should be primarily the impact.

sorry for not answering for the question but hopefully this helps you in your search

Hey good point, Maybe I should not force it, Iv always just been back n forth with them, I feel they are... cheezy? But on the flip side I have seen some people do some amazing routines with them that just look so goooood. It will always be a love hate thing I guess.

As far as moving to Easy material, My whole goal is just to switch my focus from one area of magic to another. Iv been a member at the castle for 13 years, got in as a JR. and though the time of being there I have seen so much amazing magic that I had seem to fall into this technically difficult slights mode. Shoot Ogawa, Ponta, etc. the list can go on and on, These people take such technically difficult routines and make them look like BUTTER.. Obviously as a magician you come to appreciate how much work people put into making these moves look perfect.... Anyway, so Iv always had my close up routines that I make that are just so freaking intricate. Every minute detail not overlooked, and they have always been overkill, lol, Great for jam sessions with friends, and cool to watch, But in the reality of doing shows for laypeople, There will never be that appreciation. So I guess what I am really doing it making a switch from magicians magician, to Laypeople magician, And the term EASIER is probably not the best term I have used to describe what Im thinking. I should have said less technically demanding, so that I can shift my focus from designing crazy sequences of sleights, to a more theatrical approach, Really making the magic FEEL like magic to the spectators..

I don't know if any of this makes sense, Iv been using these forums to vent recently, I almost died in the hospital 15 days ago, Got very lucky that I didn't have to have a surgery that left me wearing a medical bag on the outside of my body for the rest of my life. and have made a turn around, so Im stuck in bed and finally released from the hospital on about 30 different medications...So my entire way of thinking has shifted.. I feel I want to make more of a connection with people with my magic. I really want to make it have a lasting impression. I want it to be more then just some cool sleights.

Most of all I'm just keeping my mind busy.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4258 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It really is amazing to watch magicians work and see what they do. They use what works, what is time tested material. People are always looking at what is out there and new and people get in the habit of just buying products because they think it will make them the next big thing. I love reading theory in magic to see what people thik and sometimes I integrate those into my magic. I spend too much time thinking and not doing.

That is a big reason why I've spent my years away from magicians, you start doing that magic for magicians. It's simple if you think about it. Grab routines that fit you, do them over and over and stick them to your personality and just perform Smile You really can't go wrong with the simple stuff. Sponge balls, basic card routines, ring and ropes, etc. Just do it and do it well!
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 23:48, Blindside785 wrote:
Instead of pen through bill, take a look at Ignition!

Speaking of, I started doing more rope routines. I've put it on my list to do ring on rope, Ring Leader seems like a good place to get a routine.
Charming Chinese challenge, packs small and plays big.
Flash is easy and great, nice and quick.
Extreme Burn is a very good choice.
Learn at least a rubberband routine if you are into that. Not just Crazy Man's Handcuffs, take a look at JUMPER.

Ignition looks really good! Thanks for the rec!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Derek, Glad you're on the mend.

I guess a close call like that can change your perspective.

All the best.

-Mary Mowder
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Hi there,
YOu asked for a good sponge routine... Daryls 'Peter Rabbit hits the big time' is hard to beat (vol 3 of 'Fooler Dooler' dvd)
Other simple hard hitting things are...

- a card transposition (indifferent card into their card) in the spectators hands! A little ole DL is all it takes but packs small plays big... perfect for your criteria!

- if you want to work a little harder, then the ACR is hard to beat as well. Climax with either the pop up move or an omni deck. NO need for the expense and hassle of wallet. Both of these climaxes absoloutely kill. You could use the pop up after an ACR as say an opener and then use the Omni deck as a different trick later on (it can be used independent of an ACR!) as a closer with a different non-cards trick in your set in between.

- BWave or colour monte (I actually use a joker, an ace clubs, & ace diamonds in my case - I've got CM but prefer this)

- holy moly (sankey) or key master (craig petty - slightly longer learning curve but still easyish) are good/hard to beat too

- if you're prepared to do extreme burn, then how about making it easier on yourself and just going for the standard bill switch with TT? Easier & I prefer it anyway

Hope these help... everything suggested above is easy and very, very strong!
mrsmiles
(UK)
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Royal Scam
Fiber optics
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Easy to do with a bang. Moving to commercial-ish stuff. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL