The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Make yo paper boo boo. - Getting tipped at bars. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2012-12-08 21:18, FatHatter wrote:
Kat is a funny dude. He makes me laugh.

That is what he gets paid for.
pjarnold
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of pjarnold
The title of the thread has nothing to do with weed. It's about a person making money. Although the phrase was used by Katt during a bit about weed, he has used it many other times.
Katt Williams definitely does not represent America accepting mediocrity.
When viewed in full and not just as You Tube clips, his comedy routines can reveal a great deal of humor and society commentary. Katt uses a similar technique as Dave Chappelle or even George Carlin and Richard Pryor, but his technique isn't as evolved. All of those comedians suck people in with "the funny" (which is generally frank and vulgar) so by the time they hit their messages, the audience is already in agreement with topics that came out of nowhere. The acts turn into a type of socratic comedy.
Watch full Katt routines or better yet Dave Chappelle's Live At the Fillmore. America accepting mediocrity is Chevy Chase reprising his Vacation role to pitch Old Navy clothing in a commercial voiced by Martin Short. Two comedy greats...reduced to that.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3511 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 14:41, pjarnold wrote:
The title of the thread has nothing to do with weed. It's about a person making money. Although the phrase was used by Katt during a bit about weed, he has used it many other times.
Katt Williams definitely does not represent America accepting mediocrity.
When viewed in full and not just as You Tube clips, his comedy routines can reveal a great deal of humor and society commentary. Katt uses a similar technique as Dave Chappelle or even George Carlin and Richard Pryor, but his technique isn't as evolved. All of those comedians suck people in with "the funny" (which is generally frank and vulgar) so by the time they hit their messages, the audience is already in agreement with topics that came out of nowhere. The acts turn into a type of socratic comedy.
Watch full Katt routines or better yet Dave Chappelle's Live At the Fillmore. America accepting mediocrity is Chevy Chase reprising his Vacation role to pitch Old Navy clothing in a commercial voiced by Martin Short. Two comedy greats...reduced to that.

Thanks to Lenny Bruce, the above mentioned comedians have been able to do what they do and did, RIP to George Carlin and Richard Pryor... Lenny Bruce was arrested in front of an audience for his belief in the First Amendment and freedom of speech, not for driving down a sidewalk and refusing to stop... http://news.yahoo.com/comedian-katt-will......152.html
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
The best way to get tips is to drop the gig and set up on the sidewalk.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 18:49, Derek Castillo wrote:
Im not talking about a strolling event for an upscale gig. Im talking about making money.. We all have done it, and if you deny that, you are just as fooling yourself as I am. lol

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on this one as well.

I think that yes, most of us in the beginning had high hopes of making the money off of the crowds. Tips are always nice especially when you NEED the money. But I'll give you some advice I learned, and please remember, this is just MY opinion.

I used to always look for tips. I would try everything I could to subtly suggest to the spectator I accept tips. I never wanted to come outright and ask but inside I was hoping it would be a good one. The thing is though, and you'll do this without realizing it, is that, your performance will sometimes wreak of desperation and THAT turns people off. I see it in sales ALL the time. When the salesperson begins worrying about their commission they forget to relax and enjoy the process. Their focus isn't about enjoying theur job because money is the only thing that is important to them. If you have fun and truly enjoy what you do, the money will pour in. Just be yourself.

Another thing is that, I stopped accepting tips that were offered "in the open". Meaning, that if the person started waving the money in the air saying, "Here ya go!" I would kindly turn it down. I didn't want everyone else to think that I was "pan-handling" or working for tips because the moment I would walk over to that table, they would turn down the performance. I would only accept tips offered in the customary form of a handshake. Discreetly.

And lastly, the final reason why I nearly stopped ALL together, was because I was lowering my perceived value. I'll let that sink in for a second.......Here's what I mean.

Let's assume you were working a nice party or restaurant and you're at a table doing a terrific set for 5-10 minutes and the gentlemen offers you a $20 tip. Awesome right? Well...at the time yes. But then, he calls you and ask you to do a private event. You then quote him your standard fee. Let's assume your standard fee is $1000. Chances are, (and this has happened to me several times) he will pause for a moment and either ask you to lower your fee or tell you he doesn't have that in the budget.

You see, our performance, professionalism and demeanor will, in most case, dictate our worth. If this guy just gave you $20 to perform for his group for ten minutes at a public venue, why should he have to pay you an additional $980 more to perform for two hours? He can see you for considerably less at a public place. The value isn't justified. Because you were desperate to accept a $20 tip you've now sacrificed your opportunity to make $1000. This is the MAIN reason why I no longer accept tips at almost all of my performances.

Now, I'm not going to lie. If I'm doing a great job and the guy tips me a C-note or two, I'm going to take it. But only because he respected my time enough to offer me a WORTHY tip. The ones who are going to tip you the 50's and 100's are the ones that will more than likely hire you for a LOT more down the road. So. you have to use your own discretion when it comes down to it but in the end I think refusing the tip is the best way to go. If they insist go ahead but I usually just say as their pulling out the money, "I really appreciate the gesture but I'm paid very well. However, if you insist of tipping me, you can tell the owner/GM that you REALLY loved the magic! That way, we can continue having this fun many more times." They always have smiled and shook my hand and reply with, "You got it!" To me, THAT'S worth more than ANY tip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Make yo paper boo boo. - Getting tipped at bars. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL