The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Looking for a pen though bill. - Anyone know which one this is? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
So I have seen a buddy of mine and I think Dean Dill has one, Its a pen though bill, but had an added feature of having some small pieces of bill glued to the gimmick to make it really look like it was ripped.

Its a silver executive looking style pen that can be handed out for examination after you use it. And it does write and work like a normal pen.

Any idea what this is?

Maybe a modified John Cornelius pen?

Id like to get my hands on one.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
The Perfect Pen by John Cornelius.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 18:43, Steven Conner wrote:

So is that added feature of the extra piece of bill part of the pen? Or is this a modification that I would need to make on my own?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
It takes all of about 5 minutes or less.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 19:07, Derek Castillo wrote:
Quote:

So is that added feature of the extra piece of bill part of the pen? Or is this a modification that I would need to make on my own?

Jim Krenz’s “Rip Gaff" is what you're referring to.

It's on the Pen Thru Anything DVD.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4289

Dean Dill has some touches on it in his Intimate Miracles book ( now it comes with a performance DVD ):

http://www.deandill.com/book.html
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 21:01, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dean Dill has some touches on it in his Intimate Miracles book ( now it comes with a performance DVD ):

Thank you Zombie!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5957 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 21:01, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's correct.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
It really adds to the effect..
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
As years have passed, many do not use the rip gaff and I think are missing out. It really sells this illusion. I still use the original Prefect Pen that I got direct from John Cornelius.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I have never bothered to go with the rip gaff,if you don't let them burn the note to long then this extra might be overkill.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
The idea of 1) Double Ended and 2) the rip being added on is Doug Edwards, the Rip is in one of his lecture notes from years back but also I think In one of his books.

Hope that helps,

Six
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm bouncing between this and that new key though bill (the names escapes my mind at the moment)

With all the talk of the public exposure to this pen gimmick, and the new-age look of this key effect, I'm having a hard time making the choice.

Iv always been a sucker for elegance though, and the Cornelius pen just looks so nice.
Granger
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Granger
Ignition would be much more organic in my opinion :]
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
I prefer using a plastic pen for a pen through coin. It is my routine--I often have the spectator hold onto the coin before the pen is removed from the penetration--it blows some people's minds. I had to make the pen with stronger you know whats for it to work for my routine. I agree that a metal pen is more elegant, but recent work with a p.k. ring has revealed that anything made of metal almost screams "magnetic" as a possible solution.

I would suggest you consider plastic as a less suspicious pen to use. But I understand if you want to go with a more elegant looking pen.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
I had a plastic one but it broke after a couple of uses whereas my original cornelius pen is 20 years old and still going strong, maybe my plastic one was faulty, don't know.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 02:36, vampiro wrote:
I prefer using a plastic pen for a pen through coin. It is my routine--I often have the spectator hold onto the coin before the pen is removed from the penetration--it blows some people's minds. I had to make the pen with stronger you know whats for it to work for my routine. I agree that a metal pen is more elegant, but recent work with a p.k. ring has revealed that anything made of metal almost screams "magnetic" as a possible solution.

I would suggest you consider plastic as a less suspicious pen to use. But I understand if you want to go with a more elegant looking pen.

I agree with Vampiro. I have experimented with many types and routines and a common looking plastic pen works best for me. Mine has lasted many years although the printing can get worn off the side from use.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Actually George,
You probably had what I got--my plastic ones both didn't work quite right, and I had to put stronger m****ts in it.
So now I am just making my own from a paper mate pen. It is something that looks natural, and once you dump the gaff, when you put it in your shirt pocket, it really works.

So you're not the only one who has had problems with the plastic ones. But another reason why I like to use plastic. Sometimes I forget it is in my shirt pocket. I guess the answer is to keep it in my coat, but can't do that during summer.
Scott
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Hey, Derek, from a lot of reading... the key to this effect is to get the attention on the bill. I can't help but think that
metal makes spectators think of M******s. So try to go with plastic--it just seems so ordinary.

It is brilliant for you to think of the bill piece gaff. I have ignored this, but want to go with it since it is things like this that
really make magic, well... magical!

I appreciate all your contributions. You are what makes the Magic Café great!
Scott
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've been making my own for years using Black & White Bic Pens. Double ended utilizing Jim Krenz’s “Rip Gaff". Found the perfect strength m_ _ _ _ t, which is much stronger than necessary and has never failed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Looking for a pen though bill. - Anyone know which one this is? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL