The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Advertising (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

viktorbc
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
586 Posts

Profile of viktorbc
What kind of advice do the more experienced Bizarrists here have to say about getting your name out. I have a regular performance I do at hotel nearby, but I would like to do some more private performances as well. What kind of advice do you have for low cost advertising?

Find out more about me here: http://www.ghostandmurder.com and http://vince.wvhypnotism.com
VINCE WILSON

Bizarrist, Hypnotist and Paranormalist

Profile and more: www.vincewilsonmagic.com
www.poesmagic.com
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Vic for me it has all been word of mouth. During my mental shows I promote the "dark mentalism " for private events. I also set up a deal with some of the local restaurants to be able to use the banquet rooms for my haunted mystery type performances.

I do this with home party readings as well.

There really isn't going to be a big google search for this type of performance, but once your guests know you have it they spread it like wild fire.
viktorbc
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
586 Posts

Profile of viktorbc
Thanks Michael!
VINCE WILSON

www.poesmagic.com
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
No prob brother.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5471 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm not a worker, but I've heard and read that at minimum a website and business cards are a must. Your card ultimately only needs your name and website address on it. Make sure you have several stacks available at your shows at key exits. Try and spread them open on a table if available to make more of a display. Also, make sure you carry them on you at all times. You never know when you may meet a prospective customer.

Of course, the same can be said for many businesses. I'm a graphic designer and can't tell you how many times I've struck up conversations with strangers and they ask me, "Do you have a card?" Now, I always make sure to carry them.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
Word of mouth is always the best form of advertising, but it can be hard to nurture and take advantage of, because of the unique experience you offer. Here is my advice for the new world we live in:

1.Get digital:

You must have a website (which you have), but it must embodie the best example of the mystery you are providing.

This means a simple and clean story of your services. Good, if not great design and photography and ideally video... Good video. put it on you tube. Do some SEO on your website and play with google search ads. Your website should be the place here people get excited and feel like your show is professional and worth attending.

2. Get social.

Use Facebook and twitter to connect with your core audience or fan base. Push news, unique content and offer's through social mediums to reward your followers and inspire them to share with their friends. Facebook ads are cheap and can help build a community base to help spread the word.

3. Utilize tradition advertising to build awareness of you.

You have a regular show at a regular venue. If you don't have flyers or postcards in the hotel and at local businesses in the area where visitors are looking to find entertainment, you should. Wild postings around your location can be a great resource. Skip print and magazine ads unless you can get them cheap. Also since you are driving traffic to your venue, see if they will contribute to your ad budget--but you will probably have to have a proven revenue track record before thy will even consider it.

4. Get your local community involved.

Have a special preview show (i.e. free for those who are invited) for the local press as well travel agents, radio dj's, local bloggers, select hospitality staff and restaurant and bar staff in the local area. These influencal people can help drive paying customers your way.

5. Be unexpected.

Do gurellia marketing experiments and see if they garnish any traction: perform an impromptu psychic stunt in a crowded public space, team-up with a ghost walk and have "unexpected" cross overs. Leave mysterious cryptic calling cards all over town. Do a stunt on the radio...every media outlet is looking for "free" content. Give it to them in exchange for airtime or a write up.

Sadly it is all either a lot of work or some money to make it happen, but if you think you have a great show, then it is worth the investment.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
JessicaSilver
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of JessicaSilver
To add to the above post about getting involved within your community, networking is SO key. I've always said it's not about who you know, but who knows you. Are you more interested in doing corporate booking or bookings for private clients, etc? It may seem obvious, but I'll say it anyway, make sure people actually know that you're available for this type of gig!
viktorbc
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
586 Posts

Profile of viktorbc
Thanks! Those are all great suggestions!
VINCE WILSON

www.poesmagic.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2909 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Don't forget about event planners. Do a online search in your area for the companies that run parties for corporations and private affairs. If you have a good venue that you work at regularly, invite them to come see what you do. Event planners are always looking for some different to offer their clients. Event planners often have clients that they work with repeatedly and need new options to offer the clients. Get some good footage up on youtube and then email AND call the planners. Direct them to your website, give them a link to video and invite them to one of your shows. They will look at the website and videos in order to see if what you do would work for them, and it it does, they will come to see you live. If you get on the roster of a couple good event planners you will get a goodly amount of work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Advertising (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL