The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » What Lies Inside - Florian Severin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Der_Drogenbaron
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Der_Drogenbaron
Quote:
So if you have trouble deciphering the "code" at the end of the book, PM me the last line and I'll reply with the deciphered message.

Thank you for your kind offer! This would save me from typing in the source code. Lazy me... Smile

But actually I was referring to the notes with the crypto-messages scattered throughout the book and not the BASIC programme. Like the one at the end of chapter "Psycho".

Nicolino, could you be a more specific than the weird numbers?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I love this book.

I am thinking I will do the full Joker makeup I did for Halloween and do a variation of the PSYCHO presentation. (heheheheheh howabout a mentalism trick??? ehheheheheheh....)

What I also really like is Florian's humour - keeps one reading!!!!

I also like that the original concept of 13 steps to vandalism makes sense since the chapters tie into Corinda over and over and the book is more demos of how to apply concepts and so on in innovative ways,... and how to think about creating routines too.

The whole boldness to his style is what I think makes this a classic.

The opener alone is gold... (hmm Joker style... this is not a lemon - it was an eyeball... this was not a knife... it was a pencil.... who wants a magic trick?? I will now make this pencil dissappear.... and then PSYCHO.... hmmm... how to close the act... hmmmm)

Also, his book and reference lists to ANYTHING he mentions in the chapters is bravo great - and now I have new things to track down.

Bravo Florian!!!

And thanks Thomas for starting this thread! I wouldn't have picked it up without your recommendation
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
You're always welcome, my friend! Smile

Cheers
Th.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1018 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I think the code says "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine". Smile

This is a terrific book. A lot of interesting material and thinking.

John
Sam oDhee
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Sam oDhee
Quote:
On 2013-01-07 14:16, Der_Drogenbaron wrote:
I was referring to the notes with the crypto-messages scattered throughout the book and not the BASIC programme. Like the one at the end of chapter "Psycho".

Nicolino, could you be a more specific than the weird numbers?

I'm not following. At the end of Psycho he gives you the solution to his little "word search" (check the beginning of this chapter).
Also, I quoted Nicolino in my above post^^ He said "Absolutely Agreed!"
It was a reference to the code at the end of the book where every letter was replaced with the corresponding value in ASCII: http://www.asciitable.com/
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
I believe Der_Drogenbaron is not referring to the Hitchcock word search but rather the 3 or 4 Cryptography secret memos spread throughout the book. The only clue on how to decipher those messages is located in bookshop section of Lottery Limbo. Florian points the reader to a specific non-mentalism book for the answer.
Sam oDhee
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Sam oDhee
I see. The message in "Lottery Limbo" looks like Braille.
I'll have a look at the others.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
231 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
I very much like the pdf sample. I've ordered the book. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
Der_Drogenbaron
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Der_Drogenbaron
Lmrmagic: THANK YOU! 1st, for being the only one who understood what I was trying to say. 2nd, for pushing me into the right direction. This is just the hint I was looking for.
(Obviously Nicolino was right after all: the book tells you everything you need to know!)

Thanks to your answer (and a friend of mine who is into comic books) I was able to decipher the memos. Cool. Now I can sleep at night again Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Smile Smile Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
GD-Luxembourg
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear members,

I consider myself lucky to have found a copy of the original, German edition quite some time after it had been out of print. Since then I have read it several times and I keep discovering something new every time I go back to it. Florian's plots, methods and general approach to mentalism are very unique, inspiring and thought provoking. Furthermore I have seen him perform routines from the book in front of live audiences and getting huge reactions on numerous occasions.

In my opinion, if you are looking for unique, strong, intelligent and entertaining (!) mentalism you must have this book! I am looking forward very much to reading and studying the expanded English version of this best seller and I strongly suggest you get your copy, too, before it is too late.

Regards,

D
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hi Folks,

I really respect Steve Bryant's reviews and writings. He is thorough and insightful, and he gave an in-depth review of What Lies Inside (among other books) here:

http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html

Best,

Joshua Jay
asanghi
View Profile
Loyal user
Nairobi, Kenya
269 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Quote:
On 2012-12-08 15:56, eSamuels wrote:
You can download a chapter of the book for free, at VanishingInc.
http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/m......-inside/
And it's not just secondary content (introduction, table of contents, etc.), it's actual material from the book.
Reading the download was certainly enough to capture my interest!

e

I trust e's judgement and have just ordered this from Vanishing Inc.!
Sicnatius
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
394 Posts

Profile of Sicnatius
I just finished reading this book and I think it is one of the most fun to read mentalism books I ever got my hands on. The routines sound like real workers and I especially recommend the chapters regarding dual reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » What Lies Inside - Florian Severin (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL