The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Cold and flu season (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey fellow vents -
The cold and flu season is upon us and as many of you can probably attest - such afflictions can cause real havoc to our voices..
I am currently battling a pretty bad cold and am wondering how other vents deal with sickness... Or if you have any tips on prevention/ easing of the symptoms.
Thanks all!
Damien James
Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Don't do kid's shows, parents no longer teach their children to cover their mouths lol
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
ljlvent
View Profile
New user
iowa
95 Posts

Profile of ljlvent
I recently found this recipe and thought I would try it. But I thought I might dissolve some in hot water to use as a tea.

MAGGIE’S COUGH REMEDY
¼ teaspoon Cayenne
¼ teaspoon Ginger
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar (an organic one, like Bragg’s, is preferred.)
2 Tablespoon Water
1 Tablespoon Honey (use a locally produced raw honey, if possible.)

Dissolve cayenne and ginger in cider vinegar and water. Add honey and shake well. Take 1 Tablespoon as needed for cough. Hoo-wee.
Note: this doesn’t dissolve perfectly. Always shake well before using.

I also keep lots of Fisherman's Friend lozenges available!
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 19:31, Aussie wrote:
Don't do kid's shows, parents no longer teach their children to cover their mouths lol

Not surprising, a lot of adults don't seem to bother either.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Damien -
I was interviewing Jim Barber (Branson headliner) today for an upcoming showmanship course at Learn-Ventriloquism.com He mentioned something called a Neti Pot. It is a saline that is sprayed into the sinuses. Says since he started doing them he hasn't gotten a cold. He warned me they are pretty disgusting, but he highly recommended it. You can google the name for details and they are available at most pharmacies.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

ctpuppet
View Profile
New user
east hartford ct
56 Posts

Profile of ctpuppet
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 19:31, Aussie wrote:

Hey now some do I know I do.......LOL
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
I have been living pretty much on lozenges, echinacea, cold fx, neo citron and more lozenges since getting sick with this latest cold..
Thanks for the heads up on the neti pot..
I will look into that! Prevention is the best medicine..
Strangely, I have noticed that with my cold, I am able to do my distant voice more easily..
Thanks again for all of the feedback..
It is no joke when you are doing a show and your voice is toast!
I got the H1N1 flu a couple of years back when it was all the rage Smile
And my voice was nothing but a quiet rasp... I still had to do shows; but it was really scary!!! Because I really had doubts that I would be able
To keep my voice up for the time that I needed to fill..
I think it did permanently affect my voice, because I can't do as high a pitch as I used to before I got sick Smile
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Damien -
Here is a link to that video clip with Jim Barber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j85ygbjUiPU

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
You can actually purcase a pressurized spray of saline solution that is equally as gross as the neti-pot, but does the job much more effectively and with more comfort. I think due to the pressurization, it is also a bit more thorough. It blasts through one nostril and out the other cleaning everything out!

I would also recommend over-the-counter pseudophedrine. This will dry you up quite well. Again, if you're sick it is a temporary relief. Also, talk to your Doctor before doing any of this! You might not want to use Pseudophedrine if you have a heart condition, etc, etc. Do not substitute this advice for professional medical advice. I am not a medical professional. (My lawyer told me to add that).

I've only used the neti spray once when I was really stopped up with symptoms (I mean, it was bad). I've never heard of them being used an adjunctive measure.

Note: The best way to prevent colds is to consistently wash your hands. I might sound OCD (and I am, LOL), but I wash mine, perhaps, 6-8 times per day and when I do, I scrub up like I'm about to perform surgery. I also use my sleeve to open doors. I work in a large complex with thousands of people....so there is no telling what kind of germs/bacteria are floating around on those handles. I know I must look like Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets", but everyone around me is coughing and I feel great, so...whatever, lol. Consequently, I don't get many colds/sick. Oh, and don't touch your face.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Tom -
Thanks a lot for the Jim Barber link.. I will certainly have to give it a try!!
And thanks everyone for the advice..
I am heading out right now to see if I can get a neti pot!
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I can't believe I did notvtake this thread seriously, today on my 3rd show for the day, I almost completely lost my voice. I barely got away with the first 2 shows but the 3rd was a disaster. Good thing I had marionettes with me...

I am now taking Kamillosan throat spray and cough medicine, hoping thr voice will be better tomorrow.
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Let me second what Matt said. Respiratory viruses are spread primarily hand-to-hand and, though less so, by droplets (people coughing, sneezing, etc. without covering their mouths). The way this commonly occurs is that they cough into their hand or blow their nose and then don't wash the hand. They shake hands with you 10 minutes later, you touch your face, and BINGO you've got it. Wash your hands frequently or use one of the hand gels like Purell frequently. In my other job I see sick people all day long and rarely catch anything because I'm constantly washing my hands.

Bob

P.S. if you wash lots, don't forget to use moisturizer on your hands to keep hem from getting dry and cracked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Cold and flu season (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL