The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Great Scott's Table-Hopper's Friend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I do not work restaurants or hop tables. I do know Scott and have seen the original device Scott used in his own restaurant work. Every time I've seen someone ask questions about using close-up pads or table space in restaurant work, I've wanted to point them in this direction, but the product was not available. Well, it is now!

Should I ever chose to work in an environment that requires movement from table to table, I'd definitely consider this an essential. It at once opens up performance options, as there's no need to avoid surface work, and should cut down on any concerns about grabby spectators, as your space versus their space is clearly defined. Yes, it will require you to carry more with you, but for most, the benefits will likely outweigh that minor drawback.

At the very least, I'd recommend that any table-hoppers or future table-hoppers should check it out (here) and consider buying one.

(Nope, no kickbacks, I just think it's a very good idea and am glad Scott has finally made it available.)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Thanks, Paul! While it is something you need to carry, I've often used it with an antique silverware case attached, modified with a close-up pad on top, and the interior compartmentalized for props. This meant I didn't have to carry all that stuff in my pockets, allowing me to use them for ditching, etc.

I really have used this, with great success, in every restaurant and table-hopping gig I've had for the past 11 years. I'm now marketing these. High quality all-steel contruction, professionally welded, finished in glossy black with a lifetime guarantee.

Check it out. Free shipping for Café members.

UPDATE
I've sold a number of these now, and I'm getting great reviews. David Roth absolutely loves the THF!

I have used the pad shown in the photos on my site, as well as a wooden silverware case I purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond for under $20. A couple of people have asked how they go together. You can do one of two things:
  1. Drill holes in the bottom of the case and attach it directly to the THF
  2. Cut a piece of plywood to size, mount that on the THF and then attach the case to the board with velcro
I recommend the latter, as you can then use the case either with or without the THF, and you can put a pad directly on the board if you want. Very versatile.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know that this item is available again, at a greatly reduced price. I was able to lower the price for two reasons: 1) I am no longer including the board, so material and shipping costs are significantly lower. 2) My fabricator is able to make them less expensively, so my costs to him are lower.

The fact that this no longer comes with the board is not a drawback IMO, as again, it is much cheaper, plus it allows you to use whatever custom size you desire.

The THF is now available in very limited quantities for $60 postpaid in North America. For more info & photos or to order, go to:

http://www.scottfguinn.com/otheritems.asp
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2976 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
So what do you actually get? Is it just a frame with mounting hardware? Do you have a picture of what one receives? I'm interested, just confused.
Thanks,
Dave
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I saw this many years ago when Scott did a lecture for us. I thought it was a great idea, very clever. It was only available for a short time and I have been hoping that he would re-release it. It is basically a piece of hardware that has a toggle style clamp that instantly attaches to almost any table. You have to supply your own top. I just ordered one and will post a review as soon as I receive it. I already have a top I fabricated, so I will be able to put it to use right away. And the price seems very reasonable for what you get, but I will cover all that in my review.

Bill
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2976 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Great! I look forward to your thoughts on this. Just wondering how much additional work is involved in getting this to look like the picture.
DP
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-19 18:49, davidpaul$ wrote:
So what do you actually get? Is it just a frame with mounting hardware? Do you have a picture of what one receives? I'm interested, just confused.
Thanks,
Dave

Hi, David!

No, I don't have a picture of what you receive, but for a good reason. When I released this the first time, VERY SHORTLY thereafter an unscrupulous person marketed a far inferior version based on my design. There is more than one way to attach a performing surface to the end of a table. My product is sturdily made of steel, welded by a master metal worker, professionally painted in glossy back, fully adjustable for tables ranging in thickness from a half-inch to about 4.5 inches, and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. It is not a "clip" and it is virtually indestructible. You attach whatever you want to it--a board with a close up pad, a close up case, a dice-stacking board, whatever.

I do not include the surface for a very simple reason: Everyone wanted something different! Different sizes, different colors, framed, not framed, a smooth surface for dice stacking, a close up pad, a case, a different sized case. I do not have the time or inclination to build/buy a custom surface or case for every order, and the price would have been exponentially higher. If you like the looks of the little "close up stage" in the photos on my site, let me know, and I'll tell you how I made it.

I, too, look forward to Bill's review.

Warm Regards,

Scott
My Lybrary Page
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Spoke with Scott and should have it this week. Great service, a pleasure to deal with -

Bill
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2976 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Scott, thanks for the reply. I obviously see your point. Sounds like a quality product. I'm looking forward to the review and am on the edge. (no pun intended)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-23 20:20, davidpaul$ wrote:
I'm looking forward to the review and am on the edge. (no pun intended)

LOL! Now THAT'S funny!
My Lybrary Page
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I just recieve my THF last week and I have to tell you, it is FANTASTIC! It is a quality piece of equipment that is made to last. You really get your money's worth with this.

For mine, I simply attached the top from a natural wood T.V table to it, then with double sided tape, attached my close-up pad to that, and it looks great!

I love the fact that it takes up such little room on the table you are attaching it to (you really only need 1/2 to 1") and the thing is as sturdy as you could possibly need it to be.

It is extremely easy to use, and for you guys that work a lot of tables in a night, it litterally goes on and off of the table in a second, with nothing to fumble around with.

Again it is a high quality piece that will last you forever.

Now quit reading this thread, and go purchase one NOW!!! (LOL) You will not be disappointed!

http://www.scottfguinn.com/otheritems.asp
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Thanks, Shane! I'm glad you're happy with your purchase.
My Lybrary Page
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

I received mine today - great service! The unit is simplicity itself, but very well made - should last a lifetime. I haven't had a chance to attach the top yet, but I'll report back as soon as I do and try it out. Fortunately, it is lighter than I expected (my top weighs more than the THF), so it should prove to be quite practical. I will have to play around with different size tops to see what is optimal for me, but it could easily be switched, as there are just 4 screws (included) that you need to attach it. Great job, Scott!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Thanks, Bill! Glad you like it! Give us a progress report after you've had a chance to use it a few times and try different tops. If you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond store nearby, you'll find a nice silverware case for about $20. Attach that to the THF, put a clasp or magnet closure on the case, and you have a raised surface and props case all in one that still takes up less than a 1-inch strip of table space.
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

I'm down to my last seven or eight of this run, so if you want one, you should act fast. I don't know when I'll have another run produced. I might just boost the price a bit and make them to order. But for these last few, it's still an even $60 postpaid in North America.
My Lybrary Page
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
I want to add my two cents. Scott twisted my arm to buy this when it was 100 bucks or so. I eventually found an antique silverware case which I attached to it. This allows me to carry my large cups, 10 inch linking rings, and other props which I wouldn't be able to pack in my pockets. The bottom line is that it takes up no table space, provides a large performing service (I velcro a close up pad to the lid), and is sturdy enough to support a large child, if one was so inclined. I, myself, am disinclined, but then they said you couldn't topit a baby, so to each his own.

Don't get one. I want to have something that makes me feel special. No bribes were offered for my endorsement, despite the fact that Scott has been referred to as my "brother from another mother." (and a few other monikers).
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2976 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Just placed an order Scott.

I was on the edge, but took the leap.
David Paul
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Got your order this morning, David, and will ship this afternoon.

Scott
My Lybrary Page
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Looks and sounds like you have a great product Scott. I just put in an order for one.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Received your payment and will ship tomorrow. Thanks!
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Great Scott's Table-Hopper's Friend (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL