The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » If you were on a nude beach and some one handed you a match you could perform Matchless (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Hey, everyone I just wanted to let you all know that my effect Matchless is now available here http://www.theory11.com/wire/josh-burch/matchless/ . It's not for everyone but I use it all the time. It is an impromptu ungimmicked match suspension/animation. I've used it at barbecues, camp outs close up and walk around.

Check it out! Let me know if you have any questions Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Josh, that looked cool and kudos for a very creative title for this thread!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2088 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I may have to go to the local nude beach and try this one out
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Matchless is the name of a trick by the late Warren Stevens, and all rights are owned by the illusion builder that bought the rights to his products.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
All rights to the trick, Bill, or all rights to the name?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Name!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Good point BatsMagic. Like songs, you can't copyright the title.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
This actually looks really neat, and for $2 you really can’t go wrong. I hope it’s as impromptu as the ad copy claims.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1526 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
For $2 no big $$$$ loss if it isn't usable, only a half gallon of gas......does look like cool little trick though
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Sorry Bill, I didn't realize. I wish I would've known before, I really didn't mean to steal a title. I have to say though it's happened to worse, Rich Ferguson and Richard Sanders come to mind. Both of their effects were sold on many of the same sites!

I'll see if I can get it changed, once it's published it is hard to change the name. I'll make sure to come up with something different in the future when I talk about it in lecture notes and so on. Thanks for letting me know Smile
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Titles of books, movies, songs and record albums or CDs cannot be copyrighted. I would have to imagine the same holds true for magic tricks. Me, personally- I don't have a problem with it. Sanders and Ferguson didn't either. I don't think you should, Josh.

Besides all that, I just did a google search for Warren Steven's "Matchless", and this thread was the only thing that came up.

But what do I know?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4091 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Anyone download? The initial reviews at theory 11 didn't seem that glowing. So curious what others think. Demo looks good.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1313 Posts

Profile of bond19
Hi Josh,

I just purchased Matchless but have never bought from this site before. For such a low price I was expecting an instant download, or will I receive this in the post??

Thanks

Chris
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1313 Posts

Profile of bond19
Sorry Josh, just me being dumb. I'm watching the explanation now...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, I went to the kitchen and grabbed a wooden match stick, put it on my hand an it stood up, then gradually lowed to the base of my fingers. After of course doing the secret something.

I think what makes tricks like voodoo doll and the haunted pencil so popular, they start out laying on the hand and then rise and lower.

BatsMagic, and yes, I have the Warren Stephen's Matchless trick in my collection. It is a little quickie trick with a book of matches. An empty book is shown empty, then the cover is folded over and when opened again it is full of paper matches.

Thanks, I did not know titles could not be copyrighted, as most titles I have seen have the copyright symbol next to the name. Must be more of the Republicans cutting laws out of the rule book. LOL
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Well, song titles can't be copyrighted. Many magic tricks come out with the same name.

Bill Palmer would know the answer.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Hi, Bill- Believe me, I was not questioning your ownership or knowledge of Warren Stephen's trick- reading many of your posts have shown me that you have a FAR GREATER knowledge of all things magic than I have, and I respect you highly for that!

But I do know that titles of books, movies, songs, and record albums cannot be copyrighted, and I don't have a problem if someone other than Joseph Heller puts out a book titled "Catch 22". I also don't have a problem if Josh puts out "Matchless". Anyone is entitled (pun intended) to their own opinion on the matter, but in the end copyright laws will prevail. And there ain't nuttin' we can do about it!
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Hey guys, thanks for your support! I know this effect wont necessarily take the world by storm but I've got a lot of mileage out of it. Thanks for giving it a try. I like to perform it as a lead in to the homing match but it would work with Dan Hauss' "Lit". Also I've included a couple tips that allow you to use matchless as a matchbook switch. This means that you could have the matchbook examined, the spectator takes a match, you do matchless, and you're free to do the homing match. Matchless helps you switch in the gimmicked Matchbook with ease Smile
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Compliments for this improptu pk , I like it, simple but effective.
mark Smile
SydBeckman
View Profile
Elite user
Tennessee
486 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
Batsmagic is correct, you can't copyright a name. They can be protected by trademark but it is highly unlikely that it was trademarked. Trademarks are very expensive and for most magic effects not worth the investment.
Syd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » If you were on a nude beach and some one handed you a match you could perform Matchless (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL