The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Facebook question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Anyone know of a free template for a fan page? Thanks.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Template for what? when you set up a fan page they walk you thru it.

can you be a bit more specific in what you need. PM me if you need
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
James
If you have any questions about a fan page PM me. I'm tired of dealing with all the nay sayers.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
James, you can have someone create a custom fan page banner for FB by going to fiverr.com It costs just $5.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, guys.
I created a fan page but I can't seem to get a page banner to stay up at the top etc. So I suspected that there may be facebook/fan page tempales. I did a google search on "facebook templates" and there seem to be templates for sale so I thought I'd ask for advice about this.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
James
The cover picture of your fan page does not need to be glued in place. What are you talking about? Why don't you give me your fan page address, (PM if you like) and I'll give you my observations of what it looks like as a sales tool?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I actually design custom Facebook fan pages. These are fully functional and can be integrated with

-Vimeo/YouTube embedding for promo purposes

-Paypal functionality in case you wish to sell any items,

-Google Maps with directions to help drive in more traffic to your restaurant or public gigs.

- Twitter and Tumblr feeds

- Aweber and Mailchimp integration for capturing emails and building mailing lists.

- Fan Gate design so outside visitors have to "like" a certain page to access it but this also builds your fan base.

For an example of one of these, you can check out some of the following I have done for magicians:

http://www.facebook.com/joshuajaymagician

http://www.facebook.com/themindtease

http://www.facebook.com/parlourshow

I am currently accepting limited orders for January (I design about 4-5 monthly) and can arrange to speak to anyone interested. The benefits of having this type of social media marketing have HUGE advantages! I will elaborate via consultation if you're interested.

Michael Eaton
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1054 Posts

Profile of Nash
Shoot, I'm not gonna lie Michael, I thought I have my fanpage down but your take on it is pretty awesome!
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
What size in pixals should the page banner picture be? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-12 05:05, JamesinLA wrote:
What size in pixals should the page banner picture be? Thanks.

Jim

851 X 315
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Am I missing something? To me, those fan pages look just like regular personal pages. In fact EVERY page, fan, business, or personal on facebook all have the same look to me. There MUST be something I'm just not getting.

That's not a comment on anyone's work. And I realize a facebook page can be as effective, or maybe more, than a web site. I just don't see the difference in layouts.

I don't have a facebook page but I'd like to learn how to make good use of one. Anyone have suggestions where to start my education?
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
David
Yes you are missing a lot. If you want to understand facebook start with a personal page, and figure it out from there, because facebook is always changing and there are no shortcuts.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 10:34, David Marcus wrote:
Am I missing something? To me, those fan pages look just like regular personal pages. In fact EVERY page, fan, business, or personal on facebook all have the same look to me. There MUST be something I'm just not getting.

That's not a comment on anyone's work. And I realize a facebook page can be as effective, or maybe more, than a web site. I just don't see the difference in layouts.

I don't have a facebook page but I'd like to learn how to make good use of one. Anyone have suggestions where to start my education?

David,

Did you get the chance to click on the tab sections of the Facebook pages I supplied links with earlier in this thread? If not, they look like these:

Image


These are action tabs and basically work like website navigation links. These, depending on how many you want to implement into your Facebook marketing can be effective tools to drive and direct traffic to critical information you want to stand alone or work with a specific campaign. For example, you can obviously post about a DVD you have for sale, ORRRR, you can now have a tab called "Watch the Trailer" and when the viewer clicks on it, they will be brought to a page WITHIN your fan page (staying internal) and not only arrive at a nice, customized page with the video trailer, but also have reviews on there as well as a "Buy Now" button. The best part, is that you can also create a fan-gate to where the if the viewer is not a fan, they will see an image like this:

Image


In order to watch the video, they MUST click the "Like" button to gain access and thus your "Likes" begin building and your fan page grows.

Lastly, and the one that most people forget about is the "text-to-like" feature:

Image


This can bring HUGE amounts of "likes" to your fan page and some companies have seen thousands of "likes" literally overnight when promoting this the right way. For example, could you imagine in the middle of your show you offer to demonstrate a trick that anyone can learn and you can teach it to them for FREE! You show them the trick and direct them to a QR code or direct URL link they visit to watch the video of how to accomplish the effect. Or they can just text-to-like following the above information on the graphic.

So, to answer your question, YES, this can be just as if not MORE effective than a website due to the fact it's "one-stop shopping". Everything stays internal and your potential buyers do not have to leave Facebook. There are no confusing pop-ups or other windows opening up directing them to venture outside of their comfort zone (Facebook).

When it comes to analytics, Google can offer you a lot of different information but the one thing is DOES NOT offer you is personal information. This is the information WE NEED as magicians and entertainers if we want to launch a successful social media marketing campaign. I cannot call up an IP address and ask to speak to the person in charge of booking the holiday part. Facebook not only gives me the person's name that "likes" my fan page but also provides you most of the time with other vital information such as:

• The name of the place where the fan works = Possible corporate lead or holiday party
• Events such as birthdays and special occasions = Birthday party bookings
• Possible professional engagements when mentioning conventions or sales meetings depending on the fans.

That's just a few examples of huge lead opportunities.

Also, don't forget that behind Google and Youtube, Facebook and Twitter are the other largest search engines.

All in all, the amount of Facebook users is STAGGERING! Over a BILLION people are constantly on Facebook. The average user check their account up to 12 times daily and spends an average of 10-20 minutes each time! If there is any question why companies have poured so much money into social media advertising this is why. Did you know that in 2010 Pepsi pulled most of their Superbowl advertising and put it into social media marketing? Click here to read more about it: http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/20......ook.aspx
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Eatonmagic,

I overlooked those tabs. I see what you mean now. Those are good pages. Being new to the way facebook and social sites work, I just thought those tabs were like what I've seen on others' personal pages: links to photo albums and such. But I followed the links around and saw how involved they are. It reminds me very much like a "standard" type web site. By that I mean they way they work: links, downloads, shopping carts, etc. I didn't know all that could be done on facebook. And there must be something to it for Pepsi to abandon 23 years on the Super Bowl and putting it all into facebook. Wow.

Thanks for the expanded info and explanations.

Dave
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 16:04, David Marcus wrote:
Eatonmagic,

I overlooked those tabs. I see what you mean now. Those are good pages. Being new to the way facebook and social sites work, I just thought those tabs were like what I've seen on others' personal pages: links to photo albums and such. But I followed the links around and saw how involved they are. It reminds me very much like a "standard" type web site. By that I mean they way they work: links, downloads, shopping carts, etc. I didn't know all that could be done on facebook. And there must be something to it for Pepsi to abandon 23 years on the Super Bowl and putting it all into facebook. Wow.

Thanks for the expanded info and explanations.

Dave

No problem man. I'm a graphic designer and specialize in doing custom fan pages for magicians so I have several avenues that allow me to integrate certain "widgets" if you will, inside of Facebook. It's something that MySpace had tried once but in the last 5 years, social media marketing has drastically changed and now is being used more than ever. In a sense, Myspace had the right idea just the wrong timing.

Glad you saw the light ; )

-Michael
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 11:16, Al Angello wrote:
David
Yes you are missing a lot. If you want to understand facebook start with a personal page, and figure it out from there, because facebook is always changing and there are no shortcuts.

Al,

You are right. I'm missing a lot. Heck I don't even have a web site except the one that says, "I don't have a web site..."

I like your web site. One thing that stands out to me is when I play your videos, the focus stays on your site rather then shows a bunch of other choices on YouTube. Everyone else's page that I've seen goes to YouTube when their videos end. How did you accomplish that? To me it shows you know what your doing on web design.

Dave

Posted: Dec 13, 2012 4:18pm
Michael,

I'm beginning to anyway. One more question if you don't mind: Is there a way to not have the unrelated ads along the right side of a facebook page? When I finally get around to doing one, I wouldn't want the "find singles" and such on the page. I'm guessing that I'd have to get a paid page to get rid of them; much like when Yahoo and others had free web sites. Am I right"

Thanks again,
Dave
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 16:18, David Marcus wrote:
Michael,

I'm beginning to anyway. One more question if you don't mind: Is there a way to not have the unrelated ads along the right side of a facebook page? When I finally get around to doing one, I wouldn't want the "find singles" and such on the page. I'm guessing that I'd have to get a paid page to get rid of them; much like when Yahoo and others had free web sites. Am I right"

Thanks again,
Dave

Unfortunately no. Facebook provides a free service and generates most of it's revenue by advertising for it's clients. If you've ever seen the movie "The Social Network", that was the main argument over the main people that started up Facebook. One wanted to monetize the site very early in the game and the other knew that ads were not considered trendy and kill the "coolness" of FB. It wasn't until society "couldn't live without Facebook" and an initial angel investment that the decision was made to start advertising.

Here's some more info for you:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/intern......book.htm

-Michael
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 16:29, eatonmagic wrote:
It wasn't until society "couldn't live without Facebook" and an initial angel investment that the decision was made to start advertising.

They must have learned that from the heroin & coke dealers. Smile

Thanks for that link. Interesting stuff.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
seneca77
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay, Florida
199 Posts

Profile of seneca77
JamesinLA and David Marcus, one thing to remember as you build your fan page on Facebook. You must be committed to posting to it on a regular basis. There's nothing worse from a marketing standpoint than going to a page on FB that hasn't been maintained. It's worse than not having a FB page at all.

How regular? At least once a week if not more. You don't want to get spammy but you *do* want to interact with your audience (your "likes"). Ask questions, take polls, etc. You don't want every post to be about an upcoming show or appearance. Sprinkling those in every once in a while is fine, but don't overdo it.

Share a video that you found, or an article, that your fans will appreciate. For the most part, you should keep it related to what your page is about. For example, as a magician, your posts should be about magic and related arts. You can even go a little further afield. Found a cool optical illusion or science experiment? Post it (if it fits your persona). But don't post a recipe for Christmas cookies or that you just bought a new car. Stick to the theme.

Also, consider cross-posting to other fan pages occasionally. Now if you're one of two magicians in your town who specializes in kid's shows, you probably shouldn't post to the other guy's page. Not cool. Instead, post to pages that attract a similar audience but are not in the same industry. In other words, identify your primary audience. If you're a kid show magician, your primary audience is probably young families. Look for local FB pages that are marketing to young families, like a family restaurant. Again, don't be spammy and don't post too often, but cross-posting can help drive people to your page.

Once your FB page is up and running, you need to include it in all your marketing materials - business cards, ads, flyers, website, etc. You need to actively drive people to it and give them a reason to "like" you. I'm not a big fan of "like-gates", but you could do something such as "Like this page and learn a magic trick." Once liked, the viewer could learn the linking paperclips on a dollar bill trick for instance.

Michael has done some great graphic work on the FB pages he's shared, but it's not a matter of "build it and they will come." You have to actively create content for the page (posts, photos, videos, surveys, etc.) and then promote the page.

A website is still important, and the two can complement one another, but they accomplish two different things. A website is your "online brochure". For the most part, it's static and things don't change too much on it, unless you have a page devoted to your schedule of upcoming shows. A FB page, however, allows you the ability to actively *engage* with your fans. That ability is priceless! You can build relationships with people and leverage their friendships on FB to grow your page.

As Michael said, there are no shortcuts. But it is definitely worth the investment.

- Bob
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 21:37, seneca77 wrote:
JamesinLA and David Marcus, one thing to remember as you build your fan page on Facebook. You must be committed to posting to it on a regular basis. There's nothing worse from a marketing standpoint than going to a page on FB that hasn't been maintained. It's worse than not having a FB page at all.

How regular? At least once a week if not more. You don't want to get spammy but you *do* want to interact with your audience (your "likes"). Ask questions, take polls, etc. You don't want every post to be about an upcoming show or appearance. Sprinkling those in every once in a while is fine, but don't overdo it.

Share a video that you found, or an article, that your fans will appreciate. For the most part, you should keep it related to what your page is about. For example, as a magician, your posts should be about magic and related arts. You can even go a little further afield. Found a cool optical illusion or science experiment? Post it (if it fits your persona). But don't post a recipe for Christmas cookies or that you just bought a new car. Stick to the theme.

Also, consider cross-posting to other fan pages occasionally. Now if you're one of two magicians in your town who specializes in kid's shows, you probably shouldn't post to the other guy's page. Not cool. Instead, post to pages that attract a similar audience but are not in the same industry. In other words, identify your primary audience. If you're a kid show magician, your primary audience is probably young families. Look for local FB pages that are marketing to young families, like a family restaurant. Again, don't be spammy and don't post too often, but cross-posting can help drive people to your page.

Once your FB page is up and running, you need to include it in all your marketing materials - business cards, ads, flyers, website, etc. You need to actively drive people to it and give them a reason to "like" you. I'm not a big fan of "like-gates", but you could do something such as "Like this page and learn a magic trick." Once liked, the viewer could learn the linking paperclips on a dollar bill trick for instance.

Michael has done some great graphic work on the FB pages he's shared, but it's not a matter of "build it and they will come." You have to actively create content for the page (posts, photos, videos, surveys, etc.) and then promote the page.

A website is still important, and the two can complement one another, but they accomplish two different things. A website is your "online brochure". For the most part, it's static and things don't change too much on it, unless you have a page devoted to your schedule of upcoming shows. A FB page, however, allows you the ability to actively *engage* with your fans. That ability is priceless! You can build relationships with people and leverage their friendships on FB to grow your page.

As Michael said, there are no shortcuts. But it is definitely worth the investment.

- Bob

Bob is SPOT on! Well said sir.

Just as there are many ways to engage your fans there are just as many that will turn them off. I usually suggest to clients that wish to manage their own posts to sign up with Tweet Deck or Hootsuite and schedule their posts a week ahead of time. Dedicate one day to map out the following weeks campaign. Spending a couple hours one evening can free up a lot of time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Facebook question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL