The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Facebook question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
There is definitely an art to Facebook. Myself, I haven't figured in out yet.

My wife, on the other hand, has built up her small home-based on-line business from tiny to surpassing my own sales levels in 4 years based almost entirely using Facebook (the other part via youtube) selling literally world-wide. She knows exactly how to draw people in and engage her over 4000 loyal fans/customers and growing. I am continually amazed by her work. In fact, even I am often able to produce content for her that entertains her followers and gets shared around. But...for my own page...not so much haha. (I won't mention her business page as it has nothing to do with magic and 95% here won't be in her target market anyway) For my wife, she knows no theory or marketing knowledge but just makes it all work naturally - purely on personality and intuition.

There is certainly a formula for success as I've seen it work.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have a couple upcoming local holiday parties in the next two weeks. I also have my facebook fan page address on my business card, so I plan to pass out my cards at these parties, and announce that I have a bet with a fellow magician to see who can sign up the most fans over the holiday season.

The best facebook fan pages are the ones who have the most fans.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
seneca77
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay, Florida
199 Posts

Profile of seneca77
Quote:
On 2012-12-14 13:47, Al Angello wrote:

The best facebook fan pages are the ones who have the most fans.

Al, I would argue that that's only *partially* true. The number of fans is important, but it's critical that those fans are engaged and active. You want those fans leaving comments on your wall, answering questions, participating in surveys, joining contests, etc.

If your fans aren't doing that, find ways to encourage them to participate. Ask them who their favorite magician is (beside you), what their favorite trick is, why they like magic, if they're magicians themselves, etc. Your fans are liable to be a mix of laymen and magicians both, so ask the magicians how they got into the art and ask laymen if they want to be magicians, then direct them to a custom tab on your page where you teach a simple trick (plus provide resources for more info).

Lots of things you can do to increase participation on your page. It's not all about the numbers!

- Bob
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob
We use our fan pages differently. My fan page has many pictures of me at events surrounded by happy people, and lots of announcements of up coming public events. You want your fan to participate in your fan page, and tell everybody how great you are. I want fans to know the diversity of the jobs I do, and where they can come to see me perform locally.

The portion fan pages puts aside for testimonials you have to dig out in order to read.

I do have some magicians who are fans of my page, but lets face it they will never hire me. Your fans base should consist of local people, and businesses who read about your announcements, and are more likely to hire you.
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 21:37, seneca77 wrote:
JamesinLA and David Marcus, one thing to remember as you build your fan page on Facebook. You must be committed to posting to it on a regular basis. There's nothing worse from a marketing standpoint than going to a page on FB that hasn't been maintained. It's worse than not having a FB page at all.

Absotivlutely right on. That's why I don't have one yet. I am gathering ideas & inspiration, designing on paper and my own computer, and when I can do it and do it right I'll put it up.

I even took my website down because it was 15 years old and look like it hadn't been touched in that long. I should explain that I was going to fully retire. I quickly discovered that I didn't want to do that but I also wanted to limit my workdays to 100 per year. Nearly all of them are repeat clients so I really didn't need new ways to reach them. I use U.S. Mail and phone calls only.

BUT I also know that I will start to lose clients as they get more and more offers and info via the internet. I know they already are getting tons, but my relationships with them are what's keeping us together. That will change as the people I know are replaced in the their positions.

So, it won't be long until I get a new site up, get a facebook page, and maybe even a YouTube channel. But as you say, until I can do it right it's best I don't do it at all. For now.

I appreciate all the working knowledge being shared here. Thanks to all of you.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-16 10:03, Al Angello wrote:
Bob
We use our fan pages differently. My fan page has many pictures of me at events surrounded by happy people, and lots of announcements of up coming public events. You want your fan to participate in your fan page, and tell everybody how great you are. I want fans to know the diversity of the jobs I do, and where they can come to see me perform locally.

The portion fan pages puts aside for testimonials you have to dig out in order to read.

I do have some magicians who are fans of my page, but lets face it they will never hire me. Your fans base should consist of local people, and businesses who read about your announcements, and are more likely to hire you.

Hi Al,

I'm happy that you are encouraging your people to find you on Facebook but it seems to me that we should examine what type of tool Facebook is intended for and how we use it. Imagine having a Schoolcraft expanded shell and using it for an ashtray. I mean, it's yours so your free to do with it what you want.

Facebook is a SOCIAL media tool. It sounds like what you're doing is merely providing a picture gallery along with a few posts about where people can find you at. Facebook, by design, is a tool for engagement. Even though you have your fans now, I have seen many cases where slowly and surely client's insights (analytics) start to trickle down and eventually fans will disconnect from certain pages due to inactivity or no more interest.

I highly encourage magicians to do what you're doing. Continue doing that, but as Bill suggested, try to engage your clients with possibly photo caption contests. For instance, whoever posts the funniest caption can win a free trick or 10% off their next booking.

The customized tabs help provide a back-end support to your Facebook marketing. For instance, you said you like to mention where folks can watch you perform at but wouldn't it be nice to have a "Catch Me Here" page that not only shows the location but also provides the viewer with a Google Map WITH directions?! It's about going the one step above and beyond and people appreciate this. Plus it makes you look more professional. A lot of magicians even the professional ones aren't doing this because they didn't even know it existed.

Might I suggest that if you are only interested in posting pictures that you try Instagram. It's another social media avenue dedicated to mostly picture posts. The cool part, is that you can integrate Instagram into your Facebook posts. However, the key to KEEPING your fans and staying relative is to STAY connected with your audience.

Again, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing and if you're comfortable doing that then continue doing it. All I would encourage you to do is to stay active and engage or else you might begin to see little interest in your page.

-Michael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Michael
Having an interactive fan page is a very nice idea, but all I want is a lot of local fans that know where they can go to see me perform, what kind of audiences I perform for, and what kind of venues I typically perform at locally.

The facebook fan page for me is a grass roots marketing, and advertisement tool. IMHO your fans should be mostly mom's, dad's, and businessmen in your local community.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2012-12-16 11:09, Al Angello wrote:
Michael
Having an interactive fan page is a very nice idea, but all I want is a lot of local fans that know where they can go to see me perform, what kind of audiences I perform for, and what kind of venues I typically perform at locally.

The facebook fan page for me is a grass roots marketing, and advertisement tool. IMHO your fans should be mostly mom's, dad's, and businessmen in your local community.

Ok. Good luck and happy holidays.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks for all the great info! I have been working on my facebook page. I made a nice banner in photoshop. I've posted some events and pictures.

I put a link on one of my websites to my facebook page.

My new question is that I can't seem to put my website addresses and phone number in a visible location and size. Should I just put that info on my banner? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2013-01-15 23:04, JamesinLA wrote:
Thanks for all the great info! I have been working on my facebook page. I made a nice banner in photoshop. I've posted some events and pictures.

I put a link on one of my websites to my facebook page.

My new question is that I can't seem to put my website addresses and phone number in a visible location and size. Should I just put that info on my banner? Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

Be sure and read Facebook's policies on what you can and cannot put on your cover photo. Certain pieces of information as well as calls to action can be reasons for your page to be disabled and/or deleted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Facebook question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL