The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working at a low price (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Many times I am asked to do a show for some community, before they even say to me the price I know they cannot afford me,
usually I come towards those places by giving them a big discount, I wonder what my fellows magician think about it!

here is my justifications:
1. I live in a 3rd world country(Argentina), I understand that not everybody can pay for seeing a magician on a professional level, and I do want to make them happy, I don´t feel magic is exclusive for reach people.

2. some routines that I want to add to my act are far from being mastered, those places allows me to polish my craft and gain confident and experience.

3. i´m a new immigrant, I want more publicity to myself so I try to perform as much as I can.

any thoughts about that?
thanks
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Just to clarify, I refer to communities, that don´t get anything from the show, the tickets are for free and so on.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Do what makes you feel happy!
Don't have an ego about money and the gigs will come in - big and small!
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Curtis is correct. You have to go with what the market will bear. Many people claim to make large amounts of money, but claims are always hard to verify, shall we say.

Bob Phillips
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Some of my biggest resume builders were no pay or little pay and some of my largest paying events are not resume builders, but my experience and resume allow me to get the bigger paying events....

Also, leverage your skills for their talents.
For example,

Lower fee= you want your website linked to theirs, you want an ad in their newsletter, your name on the press release, your info in their email blast, can they put your name on the billboard outside? etc etc. Get the idea?
Barter, a wine fund raiser, well you want a few bottle for a lower fee, hotel event, you want a night or two free... ETC ETC

Wish you the best.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How can do you know they cannot afford you? Are you a mentalist?
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19873 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are happy with it, then you charged the right price.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Thanks to all!
I'm happy with it but I also open to hear other point of view.

I know from my experience, beside it is easy to assume that public institution cannot pay as much as a high-tech company.

Curtis, I really liked what you have suggested, somehow I have overlooked it!

p.s
actually I'm kind of mentalist Smile
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Since when is Argentina considered a third world country?
"Don't run with those..."
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Since long time ago, well it is definitely not one of the first world countries.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
472 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
I was just in Buenos Aires two weeks ago. It's often referred to as the 'Paris of South America.' I can see why. Loved it there. I saw some great street acts in San Telmo and near the Recoletta Cemetary.

Back on topic, I agree with the others, do your thing and don't worry about what others think.
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
I agree about setting your price where you are most comfortable. Of course you don't want to undercut the majority of other performers (in your class and classification) and start a war with them. You also don't want to price yourself (too high or too low) out of business. You're also the best one to know the economic situation of where you live.

I think it was in Ron Conley's book where I read him saying he kept his prices on the low end for his area because he figured he'd get more jobs and he didn't need to make big bucks from his shows. In some cases, types of shows, I'm near the lowest of prices. In one case I'm twice as high as anyone else in my area. Strangely enough, for that category, my schedule is almost always full.

Pricing is so subjective, although there is a science to it, and it's a personal thing too. Good for you for asking for ideas. But for the justification you asked about, the only person you need to justify it to is YOU. I think you're good there.

One more thought: If you want to get more for your shows but the venues can't get the budget, have you ever thought of getting sponsors?
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Yes, David, we have in my area a group that charges half of what everyone else charges, and brags that he is the cheapest. As far as his talent, he is still overpriced, but he does get the jobs. What I do is check the prices of everyone else and then add $10 or $20 (depending on the amount of work I have) once a year. When people tell me I am high I reply "you can't buy a Rolls Royce for the price of a low end Chevy." I have even been chosen for jobs over the rate cutter plus I get more return clients and referrals than he does.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19873 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never let what others charge influence my pay in one way or the other. I provide what I provide for what I provide it for.
It has nothing to do with anyone else.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, I think the best gauge is how they treat you when you arrive at the performance place. If they could care less that you are there, or are short and on the edge of insultive, then you are not changing enough for them to consider to respect you and your service.

Of couse this amount can vary with what the client thinks is "a lot of money", but it sure make a difference.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 15:38, bobn3 wrote:
Curtis is correct. You have to go with what the market will bear. Many people claim to make large amounts of money, but claims are always hard to verify, shall we say.

Bob Phillips

How true. And that market has really changed this year alone.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working at a low price (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL