The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Richard Ross linking rings question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Thanks for the answers!

RJH
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Richard's widow, Veronique, is on here and facebook. Ask her.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Greetings All
Firstly with regards to the Owens Rings, I do own a set of them which I purchased new a few years ago. They are by far the best rings that I have owned/used in my more than 30 years of performing the rings. Yes, they do cost more than most out there. However, all that I can say is when I do perform on a show with other magicians, they often ask to see my rings and always comment on how beautiful they feel, look and sound! I have owned several different ring sets, but nothing that I have compares to the Owens set. I did not know about them no longer making the rings. I contacted them earlier in 2012 and it certainly appeared as though they were still producing sets of them.
With due respect to Dai Vernon, the locking ring is not "clever but stupid"! That is, when it is used at the appropriate time, a locking key can add some very strong moves to ones routine. When used appropriately, in my opinion, the locking key is not to conceal the gap in the key. Rather, it should be employed for some special moves not possible with a gap in the key. When Richard Ross used a locking ring, it was used to show the rings as all solid rings, in such a way that you could not with a gap in the key. If you are familiar with his routines, you would see that a couple of his wonderful moves, when he clearly shows the rings, are not possible without a locking ring. If you are going to perform the moves that he does discuss on the Magic Library DVD, you will not need the locking key. However, this is NOT the routine that he used all of the time! Dai Vernons ring routine is a wonderful routine that does not require a locking key. Vernon was correct that when the rings are performed properly, the audience should never see the gap in the key. Unless one is duplicating parts of the Richard Ross routines!
Levents Ultimate Guide to the Linking Rings is an outstanding resource for anyone who wants to really study the linking rings. On this series of DVD's you will learn a great deal about the Richard Ross routines, among many other routines. Then you will understand very clearly whether a locking key is important to your routine or not. This is a MUST BUY for linking ring performers.
Another great source of information on the linking rings is Pete Biros new book, The Real Secrets of the Chinese Linking Rings.
Happy Linking!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Look at Joe Porper's locking ring on my site. http://www.petebiro.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
Does anyone know the music Richard used in his classic three ring act?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
In the Ross video posted he is using a locking key. You can actually see him lock it if you watch close.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I got a 2 custom set made from Proline. Great Rings!
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
I have Proline rings too...well worth the wait.
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
It is highly likely that I will no longer be producing rings. At the very least, the price will increase considerably. If anyone is interested in my PROrings, please contact me soon. I will be increasing the price the first of 2015 should I decide to continue. Yes, that is only 2 days away. I will honor the current price for those interested and contact me before the increase.
Hookem
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Hookem
Regarding the comment regarding Owens being in the magic business, let me assure you they are. But recognize that Owens does a lot of major work projects, so it's all a matter of time for them. But they do get around to replenishing their stock. If you want something, tell them. It may take some time, but be patient.
Hookem
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Hookem
BTW, the Owen Locking Ring is incredible!
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Quote:
On May 17, 2017, Hookem wrote:
BTW, the Owen Locking Ring is incredible!

Agree. I have one as part of my Owen set. Owen rings are the best and will last a lifetime.

Paul
Doc Svengali
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Doc Svengali
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2012, RJH wrote:
I'm meaning this routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1aMGpBsD3s
RJH

RJH -

Richard is using a L******* K*** in the video you provided. Look at 1:18 through 1:30 or so.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2017, Doc Svengali wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2012, RJH wrote:
I'm meaning this routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1aMGpBsD3s
RJH

RJH -

Richard is using a L******* K*** in the video you provided. Look at 1:18 through 1:30 or so.

Nope! It’s all explained on the Stevens DVD.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 17, 2017, Hookem wrote:
Regarding the comment regarding Owens being in the magic business, let me assure you they are. But recognize that Owens does a lot of major work projects, so it's all a matter of time for them. But they do get around to replenishing their stock. If you want something, tell them. It may take some time, but be patient.

This is not true, the son does not have any interest in making magic props, and it seems he does not have the knowledge. That is why he announced that any remaining stock is/sold through Hocus-Pocus Magic website. They do not want to deal with or be bothered by any magicians.

I did contact Owen Magic to make several items listed in there catalog, they told me they will not make any of the items I requested.

When I was there in 1980 and talked to the late owner, Les Smith, he told me they have their metal products made by specialty shops. He showed me a huge bucket of Chink-a-Chink cones that were not made correctly. I guess the machining company would not make it right either.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Bill, did you talk to Alan? Alan was super nice to answer my emails just last year and I bought a very nice prop from them.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
ThomasR, Yes, I emailed and he answered, the list of items I sent were no longer available, and he would not make them for me. He gave no explanation as to why.

I often wonder why publish a magic catalog, of items that is not made any longer. During my visit, I asked Les Smith for the Silk Winders in the Display Case, he said he would have to make them. I don't know the reason why he would not sell the items in the Display Case, but when I got home, 3 new Silk Winders were waiting for me. Still could smell the paint fumes on them.

I got to see their Coin Ladder, as it was on Display in the store. It was beautiful.
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2012, dahih beik wrote:
He does not use a locking ring in the video , but I saw him using one in fism lisbon .

i think at 1mn23 he is actually using a locking key ring (or I missed a special display technique ?).

kindly point me to the right direction,
thanks
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi DrVG:

Yes, you are correct. At that point in the routine, he is using a locking key. Right before that time, you can see him subtly lock the key. In his book from years ago, he did not include a locking key in the routine.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Richard Ross linking rings question (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL