We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup through Cup (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SleightlySpooky
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of SleightlySpooky
What’s old is new. That’s the beauty of the cups and balls, finding your own moves and understanding that within the countless hands these sacred props have passed through, that move has been done at least once.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I've told this before somewhere. A group of scientists hired me for a banquet party show, and in those days I did the drop-through move, but after the show one scientist told me he "always knew there must be trap doors in the cups" as if that would explain the drop-through move. It shows scientists are not good at magical thinking, but I stopped doing the move. Al Schneider's move has me playing with it again.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Jeez, while on the subject of the drop-through I wanted to mention that having been a juggler at one time, I automatically did the drop-through by then ducking my hand down below to catch the falling cup before it hits the table. It is easy once you have the knack and you aren't bouncing your cups on the mat. Just curious how many do this variation?
Another idea, I think I got from Michael Ammar, is that you can set a loaded cup on its side, mouth towards yourself. I'm thinking this can be useful in the Al Schneider variation mentioned earlier in this thread. When getting near the time to reveal the loads, you can stand the cup back up, but don't produce the load right after that. Wait.
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
279 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi Gregg, My routine developed from initially studying Tommy Wonder’s routine and combining it with a desire to use combo cups. It looks like Tommy Wonder also does the catch the way you describe and I’ve tried but the move is beyond me. So I don’t let the cup drop…I grab the bottom cup as my hand continues to move downward. You can see me demonstrating it in my recent post concerning a slightly different application for the wand spin. I’d like to reach the stage where I can catch a dropping cup because I think it does make the illusion stronger…maybe with enough practice and time!

I got the idea to put a larger load in the cup while doing the drop-through again from Tommy Wonder’s sequence because he uses it to hide a ball. I was using rubber eggs as loads and discovered that I could nest an egg between two cups. I’ve never tried the drop through with a larger load like a lemon. I suspect that unless the larger load is compressible, the drop-through might not work? John
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
317 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi Gregg.

I used to do the cup through cup using the technique you mention (catching the cup rather than letting it drop), although it's been a while since I've done the Cups And Balls.
I always thought this looked a bit more elegant.

Jim
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
317 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2021, Kanawati wrote:
I got the idea to put a larger load in the cup while doing the drop-through again from Tommy Wonder’s sequence because he uses it to hide a ball. I was using rubber eggs as loads and discovered that I could nest an egg between two cups. I’ve never tried the drop through with a larger load like a lemon. I suspect that unless the larger load is compressible, the drop-through might not work? John

Hi Kanawati,

Try putting the load into the cup you're dropping (the one you let go of). Al explained it nicely in one of his posts.

So you have a cup in each hand, the cup in the left is empty, the right cup has say a lemon.
Flash the left cup, showing it empty. The right hand then goes above, and drops its cup, which passes through the left hands cup.
The cup is caught by the right hand, and can be shown empty.

From the spectators point of view, not only have they seen one cup pass through another, they have also seen both cups empty.

Jim
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
279 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Jim, Gregg, Many thanks for explaining that! And I’m sorry for the confusion on my part. I only thought there was one way to do this with a hidden ball and did not read Al Schneider’s description carefully. Now I understand! Brilliant thinking by Al Schneider. I understand how this can work with large loads now. I will have to give this a go. John
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1952 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2012, funsway wrote:
Some performers feel the whole point of the C&B routine is the final load, so following Al's lead, One could pick up three cups, show each empty with a combination of flips and "cup through cup." (needing only to load the third cup while flipping the second) -- and go immediately to the final load reveal without all that small-ball shuffling stuff.

Vernon pretty much did that in his latter years at the castle.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup through Cup (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL