The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New to Cups and Balls - need recommendations! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1166 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi!
I usually do card magic but after watching Michael Ammars The Complete Cups And Balls vol.1 I was intrigued by The Very Simple Routine.

I tried it on my girlfriend and about ten friends and I was amazed how great the reactions were. Most people close to me get to "enjoy" several card tricks a week and they thought it was very refreshing and new to se something else.

So I've decided to give it a proper go. Currently I am using a couple of Ikea cups and some old receipts. I'd like to purchase a good set of cups and balls with four balls.

My interest for magic is profound so I could handle buying a somewhat expensive set and have it as decoration if I really don't like doing magic with Cups and Balls.

- What should I get?
- And from where?
- Any extra objects I need?
tm613
View Profile
Regular user
Phila, PA
126 Posts

Profile of tm613
You should define what expensive means to you.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1340 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Take a look at the Penguin Cups. From Penguin Magic.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

Tracy Guillory [aka ProfessorWhut]
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1166 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Under $100 with all I need is doable.
Checking out the penguin cups now!
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1340 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Here are some cheap balls.
http://www.themagicdepot.com/product_inf......_id=2648

You can find some load balls at a toy store, dollar store, etc.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

Tracy Guillory [aka ProfessorWhut]
tm613
View Profile
Regular user
Phila, PA
126 Posts

Profile of tm613
Go for a combo set...opens up possibilities
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1166 Posts

Profile of Montana76
What do you mean by a combo set? A set where one of the cups is a ch** cup or one with plastic final lo**s?
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Combo set is 1 ch***ed and 2 straight. However, if I may make a suggestion, I personally think it is always good to start with a normal straight set of cups. And if later you want to upgrade to a combo set then go for it. Sure you can use a combo set like a normal set of cups, I just think that having normal cups first forces you to learn the standard routines without jumping into routines that rely of the combo set like a crutch for sleight of hand. And I say this as a performer who performs a combo routine pretty often. For the budget, you can get the Penguin cups and they are pretty good (you might be able to find a good used set cheaper here in the Café sales area. I also suggest the Aluminum Classic Cups from RNT2.com They are budget friendly and great quality inside and out.

-LK
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm with dj on this one. I own both, but rely on the standard set. I wouldn't confuse having a combo set with thinking you also have a Chop Cup. They're really two different effects, and each should really have separate props to do the routine justice.

For $100 it's hard to beat Penguin (they used to have QC issues with these, so in the spirit of full disclosure, be prepared)

The next price jump is probably double that, so if you're not willing to go in deep, stick with Penguins or one of the similarly priced RNT2 cups. Personally, I always prefer copper, un-lacquered so they age nicely and have a good amount of weight to them.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1166 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all for excellent tips!
I'll check out the "used" section here at the café. Great tip DJ!!

Dave V: What do you mean by QC issues?
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1514 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Bazar de Magia cups are also very good and affordable and you have options in aluminum, copper and brass, they also sell straight cups, combo cups and separated chop cup, so you can build your set as you progress on the trick

QC meant quality control issues
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I personally went for the combo set from RNT2...I found it was nicer to have that chop cup in there if I wanted to utilize it. I like having the option. Check out RNT2 as there are a lot of great cups to choose from!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
In the quest for cups, prepare for sticker shock, but a good set of cups is doable in your budgeted amount. But, the quest is an enjoyable one. If you get the bug, a very real "danger", you can always upgrade, or worse, become a collector!

Mark
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 16:43, Montana76 wrote:
Thank you all for excellent tips!
I'll check out the "used" section here at the café. Great tip DJ!!

Dave V: What do you mean by QC issues?

Penguin got these from the same Chinese supplier as Magic Makers but had them made in copper. There were frequent reports of dirty cups (spinning residue inside), irregular beads, and even what looked like hammer marks in the top (bottom) to make it dished instead of flat. Bill Palmer reported having to send sets back several times before he got one that was acceptable.

That was a long time ago. It could be that Penguin leaned on their supplier since then, or they are now inspecting the cups before sending, I really don't know.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
You may want to consider if you are always all set and ready like a pro at all times when you are requested to perform (you mentioned friends)
If you are doing magic for friends, it is likely that you will perform sitting and with borrowed cups (Bob read was using three totally different cups, Michael Skinner was doing a routine with normal tea cups, Funsway has a technique to do cups by folding magazine covers, Dai Vernon in Stars of Magic has a great routine with glasses covered with newspaper pages, John Carney and John Ramsay are using cardboard cups...)
If you are likely to perform in imprompty situations, save yourself some money. If you need a mag**t, follow Pete Biro's advice when he used a bathroom glass from a hotel with the sanitizing paper on it (having stuck the mag**t on the sanitizing paper a few minutes before performing)

For the balls you also have a choice in the impromptu opportunities: Ed Marlo was using aluminum foil, Chalie Miller and many others have been using crumpled $ bills...

Choose cups not according to your taste or the one of the magicians you admire, but according to regular performing circumstances... IMHO and if you perform sitting, check on Slydini's Imp Pass and lapping technique. Just this would make your routine look original
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Martinka's auction site has a very nice set of Paul Fox style cups in brass. Price right now is only forty dollars. Also includes four balls.
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Magician Michael Lee appeared ast my dads business x-mas party,
my dad told him that I was interested in magic especially the cups and balls trick , Michael suggested the bizarre demagia cups made in Argentina.
The cups he used in his show were Big/heavy cool, really old looking he told me that they were his own.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
My first set of cups and balls was an aluminium one, and it cost me about 50 dollars. Had some great fun with that one. Now (after 7 years) I upgraded to a rings and things sisti cups set. Be sure to spend the time with the cups and balls. It will repay you greatly. It's one of the classics of magic. Work on your vanishes. They are important in this routine.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Until you want to transition into "heavy" cups, the Bazar de Magia cups should serve you well.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-12-20 11:35, Dave V wrote:
Until you want to transition into "heavy" cups, the Bazar de Magia cups should serve you well.

They serve very well indeed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New to Cups and Balls - need recommendations! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL